News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Games With Good Voice Acting  (Read 13664 times)

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
Re: Games With Good Voice Acting
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 03:07:05 am »
I'm surprised no-one mentioned Bloodlines.

Jedi QuestMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 03:59:30 am »
I'm surprised-
We barely broke past one page and already someone dropped one of these.

By the way, what's Bloodlines?

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 04:13:45 am »
Huh? I thought Metal Gear Solid's voice acting was depressingly dull.

Yes, but at least it wasn't so bad you'd be embarrassed to be caught playing it, a la Resident Evil.

I barely notice when a game has good voice-acting.

That's the idea. I've heard filmmakers talk about someone being "bounced" out of the picture by things that engage their conscious mind too heavily. If it's good, you don't really notice it in and of itself.

The commentary for LotR:Fellowship, someone mentions that at a certain tense point, it's like the score is "barely there."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:51:41 am by Spooniest »
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 10:50:43 am »
Final Fantasy X  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 03:00:49 pm »
I always thought FFX was a valid attempt at effort. And one scene taken out of context makes everyone think it was a joke. It wasn't ideal, and some parts are very overacted, but that's as much or more the fault of the subject matter and direction than it is any poor performance. Also for comparison we got Star Ocean 2 less than 3 years before... FFX is light years ahead of that, right Craude?   :P

That doesn't mean I think X had great acting, it just wasn't as horrendous as most people think. I was trying to think of truly poor acting, and the Star Ocean series is pretty much a prime offender. As much as I adore the games, and many of the characters, most of the voice work is average at best, and memetically bad (in 2's case) at worst.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:14:38 pm by Next gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 03:29:17 pm »
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain set the standard many, many years ago and is criminally unappreciated. It has some of the best voice acting I've ever seen regardless of the medium.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 04:00:21 pm »
Yes, but at least it wasn't so bad you'd be embarrassed to be caught playing it, a la Resident Evil.

Thee speaks the truth excellency.

I always thought FFX was a valid attempt at effort. And one scene taken out of context makes everyone think it was a joke. It wasn't ideal, and some parts are very overacted, but that's as much or more the fault of the subject matter and direction than it is any poor performance. Also for comparison we got Star Ocean 2 less than 3 years before... FFX is light years ahead of that, right Craude?

Claud: Straud has advanced forward. Heh.

Yeah, a lot of the voice-acting in that game was pretty bad. I think Claude, Rena, Ashton, and Noel were the worst.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:06:09 pm by Plint Michigan »

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 04:06:17 pm »
Star Fox 64 - but nearly everyone has played it.

I believe both languages were on par with each other.

IIRC, in one issue of Nintendo Power, one of the Japanese developper said that he liked the English voices with the Japanese text best.  :D

I was trying to think of truly poor acting, and the Star Ocean series is pretty much a prime offender. As much as I adore the games, and many of the characters, most of the voice work is average at best, and memetically bad (in 2's case) at worst.

Isn't Star Ocean 2 the game where your characters can call a monstruosity that goes under the name of Barney,
said thing being so horrible that random encounters don't dare to bother you while you're on it?  :D

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 04:11:07 pm »
IIRC, in one issue of Nintendo Power, one of the Japanese developper said that he liked the English voices with the Japanese text best.  :D

Isn't Star Ocean 2 the game where your characters can call a monstruosity that goes under the name of Barney,
said thing being so horrible that random encounters don't dare to bother you while you're on it?  :D

Claude: Hey cumEEER, Barney!

As far as I know, the creature's just called Bunny, but it sure sounds like they say Barney.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:50:24 pm by Plint Michigan »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 06:59:42 pm »
I always thought FFX was a valid attempt at effort. And one scene taken out of context makes everyone think it was a joke. It wasn't ideal, and some parts are very overacted, but that's as much or more the fault of the subject matter and direction than it is any poor performance.
Somewhere between the translated text and the inability to change model acting or re-sync lips it was okay though not always the greatest it could be.

I’ve said this before to the point where people are probably sick of me saying it, but FFX’s model acting was not the most readable for general Western audiences—understated emotions (“gaman” especially) and bowing etiquette everywhere. I’d dare say some of it is subtle by even Japanese standards. You transplant that into a much lower-context culture and suddenly it looks like people aren’t communicating realistically.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 07:18:02 pm »
The delivery is an important part of the performance that the technology has not overcome the problem of localizing yet.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 08:04:06 pm »
I didn't think FFX was bad either, also aside from that one cutscene,  but you can't have a voice-acting topic without bringing that one up. ;D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 08:06:38 pm »
Ok, let's say there were Academy Awards for video game voice acting.

Who would be up for this year?

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:26 am »
We barely broke past one page and already someone dropped one of these.

By the way, what's Bloodlines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade_%E2%80%93_Bloodlines

I second Kain, though I mostly only remember Kain himself from the first game. Soul Reaver was pretty decent, too.

That said, voice acting has gotten better by leaps and bounds in the last ten or so years, once people realised it was actually important. Most of the time, it's purely an aesthetic choice, now. I'm still happy when they give me my Japanese voice tracks, if only because I've become rather fond of certain actors.

The less we mention Chaos Wars, the better.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 05:10:34 am »
Ok, let's say there were Academy Awards for video game voice acting.

Who would be up for this year?

That's a very difficult choice. The Last of Us as a whole has amazing direction; some of the smallest things are only barely picked up, and when one character starts to mimic the affectation of another it's amazing to hear. Troy Baker sound to me like he slips once or twice on the Texas accent, but it's not something I've heard enough of to know whether it's that, or I'm just not used to that accent. If it is a slip, that's the single lowpoint, because everything else is beyond superb.

I haven't beaten it yet, but the new Hitman is as superb as all of the other ones that I've played. Probably better because there's more of it.

I haven't played the new Bioshock, but the first two games have astounding voice work as well, so my assumption is the new one does too.

Best supporting lead in a JRPG goes to Ali Hillis for Burroughs from SMT IV.

Also certain Japanese voice tracks have become as recognizable to me in recent years as their Western counterparts. Because Yakuza doesn't offer English voices, I've become so accustomed to hearing Japanese, that when I looks at the first game, it just feels wrong.

"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 05:23:56 am »
Bioshock Infinite is not fresh in my head, but I’m not remembering any nasty bad readings or emotionally inappropriate lines* so it probably was good.

* except that tendency for audiovox and game dialogue to play over each other—GUYS/ELIZABETH, QUIT SHOOTING/TALKING AT ME FOR A SEC, I’M TRYING TO LISTEN IN ON SOMEONE’S ILL-CONSIDERED DIARY ENTRY HERE.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 12:06:26 pm »
I can't actually think of any games with good voice-acting.  Maybe campy voice-acting.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 01:40:36 pm »
except that tendency for audiovox and game dialogue to play over each other—GUYS/ELIZABETH, QUIT SHOOTING/TALKING AT ME FOR A SEC, I’M TRYING TO LISTEN IN ON SOMEONE’S ILL-CONSIDERED DIARY ENTRY HERE.

I had a big problem with this in the first game, because the audio-diaries are laying out in the open sometimes, and I was very interested in the story. It was totally worth taking a couple bullets to hear about how that hole in the bathroom got there in the first place.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 01:30:00 am »
I think X's voice actor in Maverick Hunter X is actually quite astoundingly well done.  REALLY emotional and clear.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 02:03:51 am »
I think X's voice actor in Maverick Hunter X is actually quite astoundingly well done.  REALLY emotional and clear.

The line "I will destroy you, Sigma" came off especially well. One of the first times a game made me raise my eyebrows with the acting, though I suspect it being Mega Man had something to do with it...this series didn't always do such a great job with it, but this was stunning.