News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Games With Good Voice Acting  (Read 13666 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Games With Good Voice Acting
« on: August 11, 2013, 04:07:50 am »
I'm largely unfamiliar with games beyond 2000 or so.

What games had especially good voice acting?

The ones I was familiar with were LUNAR (Way better than most out there at the time), Metal Gear Solid (Very impressive), and I suppose Snatcher (A personal favorite).

What was released after 2000 that had good voice acting?
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Games With Good Voice Acting
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 04:38:12 am »
Red Dead Redemption
Max Payne 3

It's not something easy to remember specifically, the average is pretty damn solid these days. I remember Lunar to be pretty stilted and meh.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:09:19 am »
Yeah, you remember right. But it was a lot better than what it shared shelf space with. Vay doesn't even really compare all that well, and it was by the same people.

Edit: Aaaaah, horse apples, now I have to find a way to play Vay.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:19:04 am »
Although I haven't played the last couple releases, the Hitman series always has solid voice acting with the core cast.

Atlus has been on a tear in recent years, and it's pretty much expected that anything released after Digital Devil Saga has astounding voice work.

Liam O'Brien, who still does voice acting started doing voice directing a while back, and every game he's been in charge of that I've played has been top-notch.

As Kaio said the average has risen dramatically as of late. Laura Bailey and Troy Baker are in pretty much everything (and it's kind of for good reason). The only thing I'm not particularly fond of is celebrity voice work, it very rarely works for the better, and even when it's awesome (Oblivion, and Patrick Stewart) it eats through so much of the budget that you have to reuse actors for everything.

Still waiting on my big break  :P
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:30:16 am by Next gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:48:38 am »
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 10:03:44 am »
As far as I remember, Final Fantasy XII, XIII and XIII-2 has good voice acting.
I agree with you on Metal Gear Solid.
The voice acting in Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 and Persona 3 and 4 was good too.
Umm, from what I remember, Starcraft 2, at least the first part out of three, I have not play the ones after that.

Quality voice acting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBdvkjK92-Y

You have not heard the story mode voice of Bust a Move 2, didn't you? : P

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 10:08:55 am »
FF12 is an odd case. Many of the voice actors were unknowns, and although the actual acting was fantastic (according to tvtropes some of them were British stage actors?) the recordings themselves suck. The volume is all over the place, and half the time the lines sound like they're being delivered over the phone.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:11:09 am »
As far as I remember, Final Fantasy XII, XIII

Oh, I played those, briefly. I didn't enjoy the voice acting much at all. XII's is better, but with XIII as its competition, it didn't really have it's work cut out for it...

I don't know, I suppose it's a matter of taste.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 10:14:15 am »
Yeah we're going to have to disagree on that one, I though the cast of XIII did an astounding job. Further in you go, as frustration, and tensions rise and characters begin to crack, that's when it really gets good.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 10:26:25 am »
I don't go wrong with this:  :D

GrimGrimoire

Surprisingly IMHO, the English voice actors are much, much better than the Japanese VAs. The JP VAs sounded generic, the EN cast however are very well done, esp. Advocat. I can't seem to find who voiced who on this game.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 10:57:22 am »
Final Fantasy XII was a good example I think too.  I also really enjoyed Blue Dragon for the XBOX360 and am currently REALLY enjoying Lost Odyssey's cast as I play through it. 

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 11:11:10 am »
esp. Advocat. I can't seem to find who voiced who on this game.

Yuri Lowenthal if memory serves me correctly.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 11:30:50 am »
That guy is abused. Seriously, he's in every freaking game.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 02:38:28 pm »
Shenmue.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 04:41:05 pm »
FF12 is an odd case. Many of the voice actors were unknowns, and although the actual acting was fantastic (according to tvtropes some of them were British stage actors?) the recordings themselves suck. The volume is all over the place, and half the time the lines sound like they're being delivered over the phone.

Probably because almost all the voice acting was literally phoned in (AKA over the telephone). At least that's what's all over the internet.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Jedi QuestMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 05:00:47 pm »

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 05:20:53 pm »
Probably because almost all the voice acting was literally phoned in (AKA over the telephone). At least that's what's all over the internet.

I don't know the English dub, but that doesn't even make sense. Why would anybody in their right mind do that, let alone a big game studio?

I liked the dub of Shadows of the Damned. It's (intentionally I'd say) a bit over-the-top, though.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 06:52:35 pm »
More than likely it was bad audio compression. I read somewhere that they used sub-optimal codecs.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 09:24:37 pm »
I barely notice when a game has good voice-acting. If a game has voices that fit the characters, I consider it good voice acting. Kind of straight-forward. But it also has to do with the voice-actor's personality as well. I cannot think of any games off the top of my head. ...Or at least not anything I am not embarrassed to say.

Metal Gear Solid (Very impressive)

Huh? I thought Metal Gear Solid's voice acting was depressingly dull.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 02:52:00 am »
Dark Souls, and Demon Souls. Both games surprised me at how awesome their localization and voice acting efforts were, especially considering that most "risky Japanese investments" churn out laughable or weirdly-stilted dialogue.