Breath of Fire 6 Announced for Mobile Phones, Browsers

Started by stuffgnome, August 01, 2013, 09:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bregalad

My god it really looks like it's going to be LAAAAAAAME.
Todays' gaming industry suck so hard I can't even describe it in english because I lack the appropriate vocabulary.

That being said, there was never a BOF5 released. Dragon Quarter was a spinoff. Or at least that's what I understood. So if a new mainstream BOF game was to be released, it would have to be called "Breath of Fire V". Also it would have to be on a console ^^

FAST6191

Quote from: Spooniest on August 03, 2013, 01:16:44 AM
There's a certain black comedy to how badly all the IPs of the game industry's heyday are being handled.

I know what you meant to say but given the industry has only gone from strength to strength I am not sure heyday is the right word. I doubt I could get behind it if the word creative was added in front.

A for the matter at hand I see no technical reason why a browser based BOF could not work. I am not the biggest BOF fan though, indeed I would struggle to recount any of the stories at this point, and thus have no real emotions concerning the series.

FlamePurge

Quote from: Bregalad on August 03, 2013, 04:56:10 PM
That being said, there was never a BOF5 released. Dragon Quarter was a spinoff. Or at least that's what I understood. So if a new mainstream BOF game was to be released, it would have to be called "Breath of Fire V". Also it would have to be on a console ^^
Overseas, yeah, but in Japan it was Breath of Fire V. I think if they brought... this... over, it'd just be Breath of Fire and the subtitle. Then again, I'm really hoping this bombs so we can leave the poor dead series in peace.
Check out and discuss my projects

Lilinda

I JUST WANT A FUCKING SEQUEL TO THE CLIFFHANGER IN BOF 4 OKAY GET THE ORIGINAL WRITERS FOR THAT GAME TO WRITE AT LEAST A FUCKING SHORT STORY ABOUT WHAT THE FUCK THAT GUY WAS TALKING ABOUT GODFUCKINGDAMMITALLTOHELL

why yes i have feelings about bof, what about you
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

FlamePurge

Quote from: I.S.T. on August 03, 2013, 08:07:50 PM
I JUST WANT A FUCKING SEQUEL TO THE CLIFFHANGER IN BOF 4 OKAY GET THE ORIGINAL WRITERS FOR THAT GAME TO WRITE AT LEAST A FUCKING SHORT STORY ABOUT WHAT THE FUCK THAT GUY WAS TALKING ABOUT GODFUCKINGDAMMITALLTOHELL

why yes i have feelings about bof, what about you
This is exactly how I feel about V; the packaging implies Ryu is leading the people of Sheldar to the surface, but A. Story-wise, he only beats four of the six Regents, and B. No one really knows what they're trying to accomplish. People don't know the way to the sky is open, and I want at least some concept art of Ryu, Nina, Lin, and a bunch of people up on the surface in a happy little town, damn it.
Check out and discuss my projects

JCE3000GT

Quote from: MegaManJuno on August 02, 2013, 01:28:42 PM
Just to be clear, I'm more against the Mobile Phone/Browser targeting for a mainline entry to the series.

The art style... it doesn't really look like I feel BoF should... but, personally, I'll reserve judgement on that until I see more.

Agreed 1,000%!!  I must be old and cranky but I am almost done with modern video gaming.  I hate how these damn mobile devices are getting more attention versus ACTUAL LEGITIMATE gaming platforms (PC, consoles, etc).  All this mobile device usage is dumbing down and shortening attention spans.  Plus all the stupid DLC that these companies are doing to the games.  The mere thought of a direct main game in a series being released on a mobile platform sickens me beyond belief.  :(

I'll go back in my cave now and be old & cranky while I play my SNES.  :)

Bregalad

QuoteI must be old and cranky but I am almost done with modern video gaming.
Almost ? Personally I've been officially "done" for 3 years by now.

geishaboy

Quote from: Bregalad on August 04, 2013, 11:48:13 AM
Almost ? Personally I've been officially "done" for 3 years by now.

I'd say a surprisingly large number of members here are "done" with modern gaming.

I'm trying to think of what people used to do with their free time waiting in line/on buses/coffee breaks before smartphones and their bullshit games came along, but I'm drawing a blank. I guess those hand-held distraction devices have been around longer than I realized.

KaioShin

Quote from: geishaboy on August 11, 2013, 09:22:23 AM
I'm trying to think of what people used to do with their free time waiting in line/on buses/coffee breaks before smartphones and their bullshit games came along, but I'm drawing a blank.

Magazines and news-papers.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Next Gen Cowboy

I got ninja'd! The answer is newspapers, which no one reads anymore...
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Bregalad

I don't know about other countries, but the quality of newspaper has decreased tremendously here the last 7 years. This coincides with the release of free papers, which is basically free shit distributed to the masses full of info copied/pasted from the biggest scandals they could find on the internet. And now suddently normal news paper started to follow the trend, and to be filled with misspellings and errors.

It's only when there is an article about something that you really know that you figure out how wrong the newspaper are. This happened me a couple of times.

BRPXQZME

Ouch!

The Washington Post* was recently acquired by Jeff Bezos (founder of Amazon.com); right now there is some rampant speculation on whether he can turn things around and how.

Maybe it'll be like Babylon 5's Universe Today and be a different paper for every customer, since technically they can do that with a Kindle if they really wanted ;D

* more or less the paper for US national-level politics over the past few decades, reasonably reliable as long as you remember to always keep your wits sharp around journalists, leans center-left most of the time, and losing subscriptions like most of the newspapers these days
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

geishaboy

Quote from: KaioShin on August 11, 2013, 09:45:51 AM
Magazines and news-papers.

Actually now that you mention it, I do seem to remember people reading more. No necessarily newspapers, but still reading.

KingMike

You'd think with people reading smartphones all day their reading comprehension would somewhat improve, but it seems to have dropped (I'm guessing they're reading IM-speak more than real words?). :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

BRPXQZME

It's not how much they read, it's what they're reading.

Talbain

Quote from: BRPXQZME on August 12, 2013, 08:45:37 PM
It's not how much they read, it's what they're reading.
Actually there is both a resurgence and a downturn in reading.  Those who are reading seem to be reading more than ever before, but those who are not are reading less than ever before (filling their time instead with videos/music/etc.).

BRPXQZME

I'm not convinced that means anything without something in the way of statistics. Even in highly literate societies, plenty of folks were never using it to do anything profound.

I will agree in the sense that we are building some big industries these days that use some of the most sophisticated technology for the most ignoble ends. Makes the old PC wars look downright saintly in comparison.

Avicalendriya

Talbain

Quote from: Avicalendriya on August 14, 2013, 12:40:07 PM
Good point. Even without statistics, just think of all the people that you know personally who "read a lot". Are they reading anything redeemable, or just a lot of fiction, purely for entertainment? And even if they are consuming non-fiction your point is still valid: What are they doing with it?

Content and how it is applied by the subject defines the value of the act. Like, reading to obtain knowledge and enhance ones experiences versus an extremely passive act of escapism, or distraction, which involves plenty of input and little output: In other words being a sponge.
I'd argue that making some really crappy thing (pop culture/whatever) is probably worse.  I'm kinda fine with people being sponges if what they're going to put into the world amounts to this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wedNMxNdkMM

Avicalendriya