News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Japanese PS2 Games Dat Files  (Read 4246 times)

Bob Liu

• View Profile
Japanese PS2 Games Dat Files
« on: August 06, 2013, 05:27:24 pm »
I want to open a dat file for a japanese ps2 game but I can't seem to do it, I have searched the internet and didn't find any help other than use xpert 2 but I used that and that didn't work. That extracted the files from the disc which were dat files and more but the dat file themselves weren't opened even when I used a bunch of plugins that you get with xpert 2. I want to open the dat files so then I can fiddle around with the text and see what I can do, I really need help on this.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: Japanese PS2 Games Dat Files
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:49:33 pm »
DAT is just a generic extension, I wouldn't really bother to check for any utilities that can handle generic file identifiers. Open them with a hex editor and see what's inside.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:36:51 pm »
DAT is just a generic extension, I wouldn't really bother to check for any utilities that can handle generic file identifiers. Open them with a hex editor and see what's inside.

Damn, that's what everyone said. Hey just use one of the xpert 2 plugins but they don't work said they even bothered to check if they apply to all games which they don't as they're specific. Thanks and I'll go check out a hex editor and see what I can do, any specific hex editor or just use any.

shadow501

• Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:56:11 pm »
Damn, that's what everyone said. Hey just use one of the xpert 2 plugins but they don't work said they even bothered to check if they apply to all games which they don't as they're specific. Thanks and I'll go check out a hex editor and see what I can do, any specific hex editor or just use any.

you must be Hex Editor Family  ::)

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 05:32:20 pm »
Late reply back but im interesting in trying to see if I can change the text for this game, so ok I need a hex editor but which one should I use for translating a Japanese PS2 game. I have searched myself but I really don't know what im doing so help would be appreciated. Please provide link to the hex editor you suggest as that would save me the time.

Chippy2000

• I'm the CREATOR Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha Revival!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 02:56:18 pm »
Late reply back but im interesting in trying to see if I can change the text for this game, so ok I need a hex editor but which one should I use for translating a Japanese PS2 game. I have searched myself but I really don't know what im doing so help would be appreciated. Please provide link to the hex editor you suggest as that would save me the time.

What's the game called?
COO of The Chippy Cooperation (TCC)

I'm...just here...floating in space and stuff...

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 05:13:53 pm »
Well it's just a visual novel/dating sim game based on Saikano/She the Ultimate Weapon and I want to get it in English so I can play. I just need the know how to access the files.

December 31, 2013, 11:05:29 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Could someone point me in the right direction, is there anyone who has translated japanese ps2 games before that could help me out. I would really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:05:29 am by Bob Liu »