News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: I only just started downloading game hacks  (Read 11568 times)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
Re: I only just started downloading game hacks
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 10:49:31 am »
Since everyone was busy ranting and didn't read too carefully, a .rar file isn't a patch!

Rar files, much like Zip and 7z files, are archives.  In order to open them and get the patch out of it you'll need a program to do it.  7zip will work with a wide range of these files and is free.
http://www.7-zip.org/
When it first runs, make sure .zip and .cab aren't checked.  Otherwise it will override Windows' own zip/cab support and cause you more problems.  I don't think they're checked by default though.

Thing is IE was removed from the computer as well.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/download-ie
If that doesn't work, you can also use a windows install disk, etc.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 02:52:25 pm »
Pretty sure that the Trident engine is a critical windows component and can in fact not be removed.

Xalphenos

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 03:59:03 pm »
Pretty sure that the Trident engine is a critical windows component and can in fact not be removed.

I have always been under this impression as well. 

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 09:57:59 am »
Since win2000* you can't completely remove all IE's components from a windows machine since explorer borrows a few of them, but you do still need the executable for web browsing.

Naturally, if you don't have the executable you can get it from Microsoft.  Worst case, you can also get it from a windows install disk, or very likely if you uninstall it and check Windows Update (though don't quote me on that one ;*).

(*)Fairly certain this started in win2k and not XP, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 10:12:24 pm »
Trident can be removed if you know what you're doing. Does it break a lot of programs that expect it to be there? Yes.

Since win2000* you can't completely remove all IE's components from a windows machine since explorer borrows a few of them, but you do still need the executable for web browsing.

Since Windows 98. Again, though, it can be completely gutted from the OS if you want to badly enough (At least up to Win7: Haven't bothered with Windows 8 enough to know or care).