News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: I only just started downloading game hacks  (Read 11550 times)

nutcase71733

• View Profile
I only just started downloading game hacks
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:49:23 am »
As the thread states I only just started downloading hacks recently, thing is downloading ANYTHING has been a huge headache ever since I had to use a new browser over the standard internet explorer software I originally used due to a virus attack on this computer 2 years ago, and Firefox makes it near impossible for me to properly download anything.

As such because of this I can't download any of the hacked pokemon games you guys have here unless I get them sent to me from a friend of mine.

Specifically my problem is when I hit the download link the dialogue box that pops up as one expects allows me to either open or save a particular file, however whenever I try to save the file onto a relevant menu on my computer it wont have the download button appear when I get to where I want it. Hitting the open button does nothing different either.

I had to get the required game emulator I have, Visual Boy, second hand as I stated because of this and it makes me furious that I can't get this taken care of myself and I really wanna play some of these games. Given this I'm suprised there isn't a FAQ category for download questions and that was what I was really hoping to find here but couldn't find a relevant answer.

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: I only just started downloading game hacks
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 03:54:05 am »
Go to browser options and check the box "Always asks me where to save downloaded saves" (not exactly this but something similar).

Also Internet Explorer is not standard at all (just through I'd mention this). I agree the default options for Firefox are bad, especially this one, but otherwise it's a great browser.

nutcase71733

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:08:10 am »
That's one answer I was told before but it doesn't change anything, when I try to get it to work it always wants to play it on my window's media player rather than the emulator even though I specifically tried to save it to the emulator.

EDIT: I also saw that the game I'm trying to download requires a custom patch, which could also be part of the problem I'm having, but it still doesn't resolve the issues I have with downloading that I'm complaining about.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:18:29 am by nutcase71733 »

Xalphenos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 04:26:25 am »
Honestly I can't tell if you are just trolling or really need that much help.  You have to run the rom hacks through their respective emulator you can't just double click it and expect it to run.  Thats probably why it's trying to run in media player.  And for downloading stuff it should just go straight to your downloads folder. 

nutcase71733

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 04:32:33 am »
@ Xalphenos: Do you regularly insult people who are new to roms and hacks??? I said clearly at the beginning I only just began playing roms and hacks, no need to be rude. I was aware I can't just "Double click and expect it to run", but no matter what I do it keeps going wrong and that's why I came here looking for help. If I wanted to be insulted I'd be on Encyclopedia Dramatica asking people this question instead.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 04:53:38 am »
I don't see where he has been rude, and you should probably learn how to use a computer before complaining here.

Something like "save a file into an emulator" makes no sense at all for instance.

I'd say first be sure you are familiar with the concept of emulators and ROM before trying hacks. Once you are familiar with this you'll eventually be able to patch ROMs and use hacks, but  in my opinion, this is the second step, once you know what you're doing (which is clearly not the case for now).

Also, be sure to read all the sticky threads that explain the basics, before posting.

nutcase71733

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 04:59:02 am »

Which is why I was asking questions about how to do it in the first place. The FAQ doesn't cover any of this and if it did I wouldn't be wasting anyone's precious time asking this here. I'm sorry if I'm not very clear, but I just want some help and I'm not getting any, and like anyone I don't appreciate being talked down to just because I'm not as savvy as everyone else.

Xalphenos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 05:20:48 am »
First of all I wasn't talking down to you.  I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.  Because in this day and age it is very odd to me that someone can't manage to download a file on their own.  Secondly I was just trying to offer a little help on the trying to run in windows media player thing.  Ive seen it happen and it's because of the reason I explained.  But I can guarantee you that if you run the emulator and try to load the patched rom in it windows media player will not run. 

About the virus you had two years ago surely you removed it?  Why not just go back to IE then, if that is what you are comfortable with.  I disagree with Bregalad on one point.  This should be your third step. 
Step one.  Learn to use a computer
Step two.  Learn to use an emulator
Step three. Learn to use a romhack

Those are big steps though and contain many smaller steps.

Oh and since you have a hard time seeing the difference this time, unlike last time, I am talking down to you.

Edit:  If you computer is really that screwed up run a virus scan followed by a malware scan.  Google "MBAM" and probably reinstall firefox or reset it config.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:27:17 am by Xalphenos »

nutcase71733

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 05:48:23 am »
Sorry about that snap, this has just been driving me mad all day and I really wanna play these games, it's just it's easier for me to know what I'm doing when I see a proper download button. I dunno why I'm not seeing a proper download button appear whenever I try to do this it drives me nuts. BTW I know how to use a computer, that much is obvious.

As I said I'm totally new to hacks and roms, and my problem is more or less with trying to figure out the setup I'm complaining about.

And yes I know the virus is gone, I had a very good friend take care of it so I know that isn't any bit of a problem. Thing is IE was removed from the computer as well.

Perhaps I'd best go through my problem step-by-step because this should be mentioned in the FAQ for others who may have my problem in the future.

first off I already have the emulator required, visual boy advanced. I had the same trouble downloading it initially and had to ask a friend to send me a copy through YIM's document share, same with the fire red hack Ultra Violet in order to get where I am now. I want to make sure you know that first.

As for what game I'm trying to download now it is Pokemon Expert Emerald. I know I need a patch for it but once I know what to do here I can take care of that myself.

1: The dialogue box that appears when I click "download" says I'm tryng to open a .rar, as it should. I took the advice in the first answer that replied and changed the settings on my browser to ask where I want to download a particular file. It asks me if I want to open the file with a program or do I want to save the file someplace else. I click on Save File because that's what I was used to in the past.

2: Somehow regardless of what I chose to download it to, there is no button that appears to confirm where I want to put it (specifically trying to put it into a download file alongside the Ultra Violet files so it's easy to find). I want to put it someplace other than in windows media player or anyplace like that because then it messes things up as you know. I then try to use the "Open File" option from step one and run into the same problem.

Now as I said I know I need a patch to play the Expert Emerald hack, thing is I couldn't find it on this site so if that's my primary problem it'd help if I had that first but that shouldn't affect my download either way I would think.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:04:41 am »
Normally you should be able to just select a folder in which you want to save the file you're wanting to download, and press the "save" button.

If you can't then this is likely a problem with Windows itself, not Firefox, although I'm not too sure either. (In all cases it sounds like this problem is not related to Romhacking, and I and most other users here are not experts on bugs that might appear on Windows for instance)

nutcase71733

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 06:19:32 am »
fair enough I suppose. I managed to play some of Ultra Violet thanks to my friend sending me the right stuff over so I can ask him to just do it again. Thanks anyway at least you guys tried. I just need to know where to find the right patch file for the Expert Emerald mod.

Xalphenos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 07:03:58 am »
I just need to know where to find the right patch file for the Expert Emerald mod.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1458/
Spoiler:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 08:43:56 am »
If your YIM friend knows how to patch ROMs, couldn't you have him walk you through patching your own ROM's? You'd get instant feedback and can ask him questions along the way.

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 07:13:40 pm »
1: The dialogue box that appears when I click "download" says I'm tryng to open a .rar, as it should. I took the advice in the first answer that replied and changed the settings on my browser to ask where I want to download a particular file. It asks me if I want to open the file with a program or do I want to save the file someplace else. I click on Save File because that's what I was used to in the past.
Seems like your file associations within Firefox are incorrect.  You can look up how to change this or right click the download link and Save As.  Then run your RAR program manually.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 02:34:01 pm »
Specifically my problem is when I hit the download link the dialogue box that pops up as one expects allows me to either open or save a particular file, however whenever I try to save the file onto a relevant menu on my computer it wont have the download button appear when I get to where I want it. Hitting the open button does nothing different either.

How should I put it in a non-rude way... The newer versions of windows or whatever OS you are using, have a default system folder where the file is autodownloaded to, after you hit the save (this is not XP where you just determine the path, but this can still be changed in the web-browser's settings). Also, this has nothing to do with romhacking.

That's one answer I was told before but it doesn't change anything, when I try to get it to work it always wants to play it on my window's media player rather than the emulator even though I specifically tried to save it to the emulator.

It is very difficult to stay not-rude with this one, but let's try... The file which is auto-downloaded is auto-assigned to some program (in your case the player), which does NOT mean that the player will open it. Never doubleclick on files. Run the program first and choose load file, and then choose the file.

Save it to emulator is an illogical statement. You need to open the emulator and load the file in it, you can also autoassign the file extension like .smc to opened with this program (emulator) upon doubleclick.

Important. The downloaded files are Patches, and will Not run in an emu, the website can Not have roms on it. So you need to get the original rom yourself (correct version) and patch the downloaded patch with the patcher to it, and then run it in the emu. But I don't think you are up to this task, when reading the above.

Which is why I was asking questions about how to do it in the first place. The FAQ doesn't cover any of this and if it did I wouldn't be wasting anyone's precious time asking this here. I'm sorry if I'm not very clear, but I just want some help and I'm not getting any, and like anyone I don't appreciate being talked down to just because I'm not as savvy as everyone else.

The FAQ on romhacking and patching wont tell you how to use the PC.

BTW I know how to use a computer, that much is obvious.

If you are unable to download a file and save it to your hard drive, than you can Not use a computer. You don't know how to download a single file, patch or emulator. The fact that your friend must do it for you says it all.

Seriously, what kind of a person doesn't know how to download a file, and wants to play romhacks. I don't know if you are capable of playing normal roms (the ones you just download and "save into an emulator" as you called it).

What if I would tell you, you have to remove the header before patching, I don't think you would manage.

From a romhacker's perspective you are not only on square 1, but even bellow that. Every average person eventually figures out how to download a patch an patch it to a rom (despite the fact that they usually use the wrong original rom, resulting in a bug).

Not being rude here, just stating the facts. You don't grasp the basics of the basics, and thus this site is off limits to you. Playing rom hacks is patching, removing headers, running emulators and downloading (if you can't do this, then you can't play anything).

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:00:41 pm by puzzledude »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 02:51:53 pm »
I guess your only option is to buy a game console, buy the cartridge and play it, or is hitting the power button also to difficult.

Not being rude here, just stating the facts.

Saying your not being rude doesn't mean you aren't. It doesn't really ok being rude either.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 03:30:44 pm »
Ok, I've taken that paragraph out. So lets be objective then. What would you (or anyone) objectively think of a person who can not download a file, can't patch it and can't run it in the emu, can't remove headers from roms, and doesn't know which button to press to save it to his hard drive (and then goes on a site called romhacking). And lets take note that this word is made out of two words: rom and hacking. Looking at the second one, we can clearly see a word, naturally connected to skill.

There's a saying in the latin language: only a smart person can learn and listen to a smart person. Or in other words, if we do romhacking here, and then make a release, the user of the release will automatically also have to use at least some basic knowledge to use this work. Not to mention, that the site it self has tons of detailed rookie-proof tutorials on patching and various other things, which are mandatory to know.

Two more questions. What would you objectively think of a person, who would run an ips file on an emulator, and then email the author, that his work is no-good and bugged, and that he should update the file? Or what to think of an user, who can not unzip the zip file, saying that the zip file is corrupt (when it is a standard non-corrupt zip file) and again asks for an update.

This is why FuSoYa and Digital Mantra closed up their emails (and are basically unreachable).

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 03:58:20 pm »
What's with all this hostility? Not everyone who's into gaming has grown up being somewhat familiar with computers and how to use them. I have many friends who would like to get play romhacks and mods but who can barely check their email, or understand that they can copy and edit images on their computer; people who will post their unflattering searches in the facebook status box.

What's important here is that someone is trying to enjoy a romhack. Perhaps there's a legitimate issue here with the original poster being unable to download from this site, or in knowing how to really work alongside a computer's mannerisms.

Many of us here have a long history of working with computers and recognizing both what one can and can't do on one, and from that, we infer the capabilities and how to get things working, even in situations we're not familiar with. Downloading files may seem like a very easy thing to do, something common enough that we'd warrant it has commons sense, and thus not need to be explained--or in this case, according to some, worthy of ridiculing those who don't understand it.

But we must remember that though some of us have learned how to use computers quite adequately, a majority of people have not, even going into the younger generations of people.

It's not helpful to make snarky remarks about the original poster's issue. In fact, it's quite counter-productive towards the purpose of their making this topic, which was for seeking help.

puzzledude, it would be better for you to ask your questions in your own thread on the topic. Your conversation is irrelevant for the original poster's intention of making this thread. Offer help, or make no presence at all.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 05:49:54 pm »
If you think the above is a "hostility" you should live just a day in my "neighbourhood". Looking at my initial post you would see, that it also contains an explanation on the download, patching and running in the emu, so the help was also included.

If someone just wants to enjoy a romhack and is 12 years old (and knows nothing of computers), someone has to do the patching for him, so he can then play it. And if his parents or older brothers can't do it, then romhacks are out or reach for them.

When I was first presented to game mods long ago, I actually did run an ips in the emu, knowing this is odd in the first place (since the extension was "wrong"). But I didn't email the author, saying his game is bugged, I've rather read the readme and then the theme "softpatching" on romhacking and got the game running in 12 hours from the download (being a complete noob at the time).

Despite some unfriedly comments against the original poster by many other users, you can see that the OP wants to play, but doesn't want to learn or put any effort into it (if I mannaged in 12 hours, surely anyone can do it in a week).

In this case the only solution is help from someone, who is actually there phisically. Explaining this with posts is impossible, so the initial opening of the thread wasn't really a wise decision on his part.

PS
I've tested the downloading in Firefox, just to see what the deal was. Helping here: uppon clicking the download shortcut, you actually do have "open" or "save" (open is a strange default option). Obviously choose "save" here (the file is auto-downloaded into the system folder Downloads, which is here C:\Users\user\Downloads, while the user is your PC's main directory, containing your name. Uppon clicking the nice arrow pointing down, all downloads are listed. 2 options here: show all downloads (so firefox actually has a download mannager, which is nice) and then right click one + "open containing folder" or do the right click right away. This will open the system folder, without any manual browsing to it. This is where the downloaded patch is (zipped of course).

PPS
Maybe the above should be added to the FAQ, with the title "How to download a file with the Firefox". But you see such a topic could actually be regarded as trolling.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:48:28 pm by puzzledude »

eefara

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 09:28:21 pm »
fair enough I suppose. I managed to play some of Ultra Violet thanks to my friend sending me the right stuff over so I can ask him to just do it again. Thanks anyway at least you guys tried. I just need to know where to find the right patch file for the Expert Emerald mod.

Were you able to figure out what the problem was?