News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Summon Night Craft Sword Monogatari: Hajimari no Ishi - English Translation  (Read 101138 times)

oil

• View Profile
Some people already gave a shot at hacking this game but all of them ended abandoning the project. Using the script dump from user Ritchburn (at gbatemp) and the english font patch from parakarry64 and ubuntuinside (also from gbatemp) I managed to understand how the game works and write some tools for text compression and insertion that seem to be working perfectly.

I already posted about this in the gbatemp thread http://gbatemp.net/threads/summon-night-craft-sword-monogatari.227224/page-6#post-4726603

As I said there I don't know japanese and can't translate it, so I made a site with a simple interface for many people to be able to translate it at the same time. The site is http://sntranslation.vacau.com/. You can register there in seconds and just start translating as many lines as you want. The interface looks like this:

There's already a couple people translating some stuff there, but more people are needed, so if you know japanese and want to help that'd be awesome, even if it's just a few lines.

Thanks to all of you for your help!

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
really nice work, congrats on the a nice start.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
Great work! can't wait till it's done ;) wish i could help out but i might be busy doing something else atm instead.

Special T

• View Profile
I look forward to seeing this game translated. Thank you for your hard work!

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Mind putting in another box for comments or something? It would be helpful for clarification, particularly since isolated lines can be very ambiguous as to whether they should be translated with a certain inflection in English. There are also other things like translations that look iffy (but aren’t), and at times it may be necessary to say “this is how Atlus did it, bizarre but it works” or “this is what the official site says” or “screw it, we need to contradict previous canon for X reason” (e.g. you currently have RUN-DOR down as “Rundor”; I’d rather not have to pop on IRC to ask whether that’s intentional or not). And sometimes, you just need to find the text in-game to have any prayer of making sense.

I don’t foresee myself helping out with this as much as I saw the first time this came up (I tend to be a bit diva-ish about doing the bulk of a translation anyway, so you’re not missing much), but I wouldn’t mind assisting with a translation/tonal consistency check or something later on.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:16:53 am by BRPXQZME »
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

oil

• View Profile
Thanks for your suggestion. I already thought about adding a comments box, but I prefer for people to ask on the forums or on IRC and then add a message myself to the guidelines section about how to handle stuff that appears often. That way the translation pages won't be filled with comments and people won't need to go look through a bunch of pages to find how something is being translated.

The reason why RUN-DOR is translated as Rundor is because RUN-DOR just doesn't fit. If you try to change it you'll see that the length will be bigger than the limit. That's because there are no combinations of half-width capital characters in the modified font, so it uses a 2 byte full width character for each letter. The good thing is that you can name RUN-DOR in capitals if you choose him as your Guardian Beast, only you can just name him RUNDOR because that also has a limit  :-\
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:34:09 pm by oil »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Well, as a game translator with some experience, I assure you, there is too much text for that to really work well. The last thing you need in a group translation is the potential for an edit war.

And it may sound officious, but finding a way to make uncomfortable text fit in there somehow is what all the cool kids do in fan translation :P
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
Nice game! I already enjoyed playing through it without understanding too much quite some time ago... With a translation it'd probably be even more awesome :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:55:02 pm by ChronoMoogle »

oil

• View Profile
I made a few changes to the site:

- Added a simple chat box to use it instead of the IRC channel

- Added another field to the table called "Full Translation". If you want to translate a line but have problems making it fit within the limit, write the translation in this field. Other people (even non-japanese speakers) can later change it to make it fit. I hope this relieves some weight from translators.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
You really need to work on getting the line limits to be larger, or some of these translations just won't work.

For example:

0181814c.txt   ミューノがあんなことする 24
0181814c.txt   はずがない 10

This is one whole sentence. It says "There's no way that Murno would do that."

If you split it up the way it would be phrased into English, it comes out to this:

There's no way that
Murno would do that.

The first line, at 20 characters, fits. The second line is also 20 characters, and doesn't. Even if I make it "she would do that" it's still WAY over.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

oil

• View Profile
You really need to work on getting the line limits to be larger, or some of these translations just won't work.

For example:

0181814c.txt   ミューノがあんなことする 24
0181814c.txt   はずがない 10

This is one whole sentence. It says "There's no way that Murno would do that."

If you split it up the way it would be phrased into English, it comes out to this:

There's no way that
Murno would do that.

The first line, at 20 characters, fits. The second line is also 20 characters, and doesn't. Even if I make it "she would do that" it's still WAY over.

~DS

I'm still trying to override the limit but there are many factors involved.

If you can translate you shouldn't worry about the limit, just type the translations in the full translation field. That way if I manage to get rid of the limit those translations can be used and if I can't people that don't know japanese can try to make them fit within the limit.

If I can't manage to do it then the dialog will have to be dumbed down a little. The goal is to allow people that don't know japanese to enjoy the game. Even if the translation isn't perfect people will be able to enjoy it, official translations for some games are known to be really bad but that didn't stop people from enjoying those games.

In the specific case you posted you could write "Murno would not do that" for example. That fits perfectly and says the same thing, not as nice as the original but still does the work.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
The translating site seems to be down, just saying ;)

pablitox

• View Profile
Re: Summon Night Craft Sword Monogatari: Hajimari no Ishi - English Translation
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 03:12:27 pm »
Well the site has been up and with great news! the translators got 100%on items and menues and the story is at 25%

Cheers to the team!
Re taking hajimari no ishi!

pablitox

• View Profile
posting some other progress, the translation of the text is at 85%

we are starting to make lines fit in game

edit: guys we have reached a kind of a bottleneck here, problem? line limits, its being too harsh on us, and it makes the dialogues lose a lot of meaning, so we need help of a person who can help us override it so it won't be a problem anymore. If you do know how anyone, please tell him to contact oil in gbatemp.net
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:24:53 pm by pablitox »

carefreeworld

• View Profile
I actually have one of the dumped projects on my computer, which does translate all of the menu items and spells and about 2/3 of the enemies, but none of the script, however i can't seem to find the original website to see if they made any improvements. anyway get back to me at carefreeworld@hotmail.com if anyone wants a copy of it, it's more straightforward than the second game in the series so i didn't have an extremely tough time beating it my first time

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
This is awesome.  I wish I had the skill to write something to handle various rom compressions.

pablitox

• View Profile
thanks for the support guys! seriously, you rock!

the script's been 100% translated, with only proofreading left, also the line's trimming is at 60%. Thanks to the rom's hardest compression method, it's going to be a pain bypassing it, also our leader's gone awol, with no replies or whatsoever.

constraint

• View Profile
Great job! I hope your leader returns.

pablitox

• View Profile
Oh yeah, another user, TLZ, has oppened a IRC chat, if anyone wants to help. They're a good hacker, so they can help us with the problems right now:

#Summon-Night on irc.sorcery.net
http://chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.sorcery.net&channel=#Summon-Night
irc://irc.sorcery.net:6667/Summon-Night

Join if you want to help.

pablitox

• View Profile
Re: Summon Night Craft Sword Monogatari: Hajimari no Ishi - English Translation
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 12:40:07 pm »
Progress: unfortunately with our leader gone we are force to start from zero, Luckily Ritchburn sent us his tools, so we can start from there. We'll need some asm hackers though, because tlz (our current one) is really busy.