News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translation patch crashing on PSP  (Read 2326 times)

Pokeytax

• View Profile
    • Cavespeak
Translation patch crashing on PSP
« on: July 27, 2013, 10:22:51 am »
The Suikogaiden Vol. 2 translation for PSX is well along, but the patched file is crashing after title screen on PSP (6.60 PRO-B9).  We've had no issues with Vol. 1 or the unpatched file.

Anyone have experience debugging this kind of issue?  I know several patches have had similar bugs, but I thought we were mostly in the clear on the newest firmware.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: Translation patch crashing on PSP
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 02:01:49 pm »
If the patch works fine on real hardware, then it's just the PSP doing funny stuff (quite unusual if the original works), otherwise you're having a memory alignment issue somewhere or broken delay slots & lazy jumps. The way the PSP emulator interprets PSX code is quite similar to the real hardware, so if you have one of the CPU issues mentioned it's bound to appear on both machines.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Dahl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 04:15:17 pm »
(6.60 PRO-B9)

No idea if it makes any difference, but I'm pretty sure the cfw you're using is a little outdated. If I remember correctly, the latest stable version is PRO-C2, with PRO-Nightly being slightly more recent.

Pokeytax

• View Profile
    • Cavespeak
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 05:11:22 pm »
If the patch works fine on real hardware, then it's just the PSP doing funny stuff (quite unusual if the original works), otherwise you're having a memory alignment issue somewhere or broken delay slots & lazy jumps. The way the PSP emulator interprets PSX code is quite similar to the real hardware, so if you have one of the CPU issues mentioned it's bound to appear on both machines.

Yeah, dead on.  It was a just a regular old misaligned halfword load, and I was wrong, it wasn't working on PSX either.  Thanks for the tip.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:05:00 pm »
No idea if it makes any difference, but I'm pretty sure the cfw you're using is a little outdated. If I remember correctly, the latest stable version is PRO-C2, with PRO-Nightly being slightly more recent.
The only thing that really matters is the version number, not all of those funky suffixes CFW authors like to add for who knows really what reason. "6.60" is the important part, the rest is irrelevant.

Yeah, dead on.  It was a just a regular old misaligned halfword load, and I was wrong, it wasn't working on PSX either.  Thanks for the tip.
Glad the old tip always works. :beer:
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 10:31:11 pm »
I'm on CFW Exploit 5.03. But I wanna play games that are on 6.xx. Should I update on that PRO-B10 or PRO-C2? Sorry if I'm a n00b on PSP FWs.