News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda III [Uncle <-> Zelda]  (Read 3724 times)

Sunandy

• View Profile
Zelda III [Uncle <-> Zelda]
« on: July 26, 2013, 04:45:32 am »
Hi there,
I live in Germany and my English is not so good. But there are translators :-)
I'm working on a "Zelda III Project" with Hyrule Magic and I need help with a specific case.
Surely there is an easy game to some of you.

Is it possible to display the uncle NPC as ZELDA? In the starting sequence the house should leave as Zelda - not as the uncle?!

Can anyone help me?

puzzledude

• View Profile
Re: Zelda III [Uncle <-> Zelda]
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:22:10 am »
Sure it is possible. This is a gfx edit of the sprite. The palettes must be changed accordingly (no one has yet determined which colour this is in HM's palettes section, but it is obviously globaly under sprites). But then Zelda must carry a sword and a shield, and it will be her who is beat down, to give you the sword.

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:02:51 am »
does this mean you'll be able to find your mustachioed uncle in a twirling crystal after defeating Trinexx? ;)

Sunandy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:28:32 am »
Zelda needs no sword, if she leaves the House.

She should just go and pick some flowers :-)

Question: When i am changing the Tileset from the uncle Anmation and just use the directions of the uncle(direction downward and to the left). Is the tileset where the Onke is located on the wall and link later presented the sword, but not overwrote or?
Actually, this Uncle just from the game should get out.
(i a so sorry, my englisch is sooo bad andthe Translater is not better)

Is there a way to give you that job in order here in the community?
Honestly, I trust me at kind of a job do not turn.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 11:03:14 am »
Excuse me but has anyone figured out the compression format for the text in Zelda III GBA version? (not the uncompressed Four Swords portion of course)
I could find the graphics and fonts with LZRestructor2 but not the text sadly... I tried doing a relative search with monkeymoore on a memory dump from VBA for on-screen text hoping to find the table to no avail (I'm aware the SNES version uses a dictionnary)
and someone long ago made a rip, but he said it was difficult and right now I can't contact him

It irks me a lot that I've fount most of the graphics for the Alttp part (even the Japanese logo) but I still can't find the text.
Any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 12:56:15 pm »
does this mean you'll be able to find your mustachioed uncle in a twirling crystal after defeating Trinexx? ;)
If you decide to copy/paste the uncles head gfx into the maiden one. This would have a side effect (all maiden use the same gfx). So you would be rescuing 7 uncles.

Zelda needs no sword, if she leaves the House.
Not possible. Sword and shield level-1 are hardcoded to be worn by the person who leaves the house at the beginning.

Question: When i am changing the Tileset from the uncle Anmation and just use the directions of the uncle(direction downward and to the left). Is the tileset where the Onke is located on the wall and link later presented the sword, but not overwrote or?
Uncle has multiple gfx locations. On the wall gfx is different from the normal uncle (different head).

Actually, this Uncle just from the game should get out.
No uncle means, you need to use Euclid's Asm mod, to make the game start in part1 instead of beginning mode and Link has the sword and shield automatically uppon start (since no uncle means no possibility to get level-1 sword --> if no l-1 sword, no l-2 or 3 or 4 sword can be obtained). Altogether not recommended to do, since the game does not start normally (but rather with the srm hacked into smc).

Is there a way to give you that job in order here in the community? Honestly, I trust me at kind of a job do not turn.
I don't think I will attempt this.

It irks me a lot that I've fount most of the graphics for the Alttp part (even the Japanese logo) but I still can't find the text. Any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance.
I can only give you advice with the SNES version. The text is actually a part of gfx, but not in 4BPP. It is rather using more primitive 2BPP GB, compatible with Game boy. This basically means putting the yy-chr to read the Game boy type of gfx to be able to see the text. If you can decompress the Alttp GBA gfx, it should be no problem in finding the text in there with the similar method.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 07:06:08 pm »
I can only give you advice with the SNES version. The text is actually a part of gfx, but not in 4BPP. It is rather using more primitive 2BPP GB, compatible with Game boy. This basically means putting the yy-chr to read the Game boy type of gfx to be able to see the text. If you can decompress the Alttp GBA gfx, it should be no problem in finding the text in there with the similar method.

No, I didn't mean the font, it's fully decompressed in the GBA version as GBA 4bpp graphics.
The problem lies with locating the text, aka dialogue, script and all, that uses this font. Like "Hyrule" "Aghanim" "Help me" etc..
Anyways, thanks a lot for trying to help

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 05:33:18 am »
puzzledude: Princess Zelda has different graphics than the other 6 maidens.  that said, a bunch of uncles would be amusing.

------

GHANMI: i looked into it, and don't know where or how it's stored in the ROM, either.  it is silly that they don't just have all the text uncompressed, given the gobs of free space available at the end of these ROMs.

July 27, 2013, 02:47:39 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I tried doing a relative search with monkeymoore on a memory dump from VBA for on-screen text hoping to find the table to no avail (I'm aware the SNES version uses a dictionnary)

i used VBA to dump WRAM (40000h bytes starting at address 2000000h) when the desired dialogue was onscreen.  the decompressed ASCII text wound up at file address 5480h in the .DMP file.  this is on a European ROM, playing in English.

i've read your posts elsewhere on this, and you're probably right that the ROM uses some crazy compression.  whether it's LZ or something worse, i do not know.  i wonder whether the compression can go inter-monologue, or if it's just intra-monologue.  if it's the former, then it's probably not LZ (or at least not the implementations i've seen), as i don't see other monologues in WRAM to be referenced by the current one.  if it's the latter, then whatever it was probably wouldn't be better than DTE or MTE in most cases, given how short most monologues are.

anyway, using a debugging emulator and setting a write breakpoint on 2005480h (and maybe some addresses immediately following it) should direct you to the routine that's doing the decompression.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:25:37 pm by assassin »