News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mario 3 disassembly help needed.  (Read 1630 times)

major happy

Mario 3 disassembly help needed.
« on: July 27, 2013, 07:53:20 am »
Hi everyone, You’ll have to bare with me because I have very little hacking or coding experience. I can’t work out how the “bytes” that direct the enemy logic to the graphic relate to things I have put in the rom with a tile editor.

For example, I’ve changed the logic of a Goomba, and now I want to redirect the graphics to a new sprite, at first I thought this was just using the HEX asddress of tile that shows up in the PPU memory, but that’s not it.
I can’t find anything else that it could be any help would be brilliant, thanks.

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Re: Mario 3 disassembly help needed.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »
The Southbird Super Mario Bros. 3 Disassembly can certainly give you answers. It's the most exhaustive document on SMB3 you can find...

I see two possibilities with your problem. Either you change the graphics directly (easiest solution), or you look for tile mappings and change them accordingly. If your new Goomba is the same size as the old one, then changing the graphics would be the way to go. If you want to take the tile mapping route, looking in the PPU could help, but only partially. At run-time the information will be in the Sprites Memory. Games usually store sprite information in the 200-2FF or 300-3FF range of CPU memory, before transferring it to the Sprite Memory. So you may want to look there if you want to find out about sprite attributes...

major happy

Re: Mario 3 disassembly help needed.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 12:57:40 pm »
Thank for replying. I didn't want to directly change the tiles because I still wanted to normal Goomba enemies, but turn the ParaGoombas into the flying heads from Mario land.

Looking up stuff in the CUP memory and working out what it means sounds like it’s far beyond my capabilities, which mostly consist of dicking about and seeing what happens, there doesn't seem to be any documents on how things are loaded from tiles in the rom into the sprite memory.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:33:55 pm by major happy »