News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Difficulties with relative searching  (Read 2065 times)

TuesdaysGone

Difficulties with relative searching
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:30:04 pm »
Hello guys, I am trying to change the text in Final Fantasy I. I am only doing this for learning purposes so please don't tell me to use FFhackster.
Actually, I changed CONTINUE in the title screen to SIMPSONS. I found at what offset CONTINUE was by using the program monkey moore.

To do this, I wrote CONTINUE in Relative search but I can't do the same thing when I use Value scan relative. With Value scan relative I wrote:
3 15 14 20 9 14 21 5 but i don't get any result. I also tried this: 03 15 14 20 09 14 21 05 but it doesn't work either.

So please could you tell me what I did wrong ?
Thank you ahead.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Re: Difficulties with relative searching
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:54:28 pm »
What I usually do is try to build a Character Table first so that you may scroll down and see where your text blocks are in a HEX program. In FCEUX, the PPU viewer in there usually does a good job at finding the values for each character as sometimes they may be mixed up. Windhex is a good program for windows that does text editing for the most part with usage of integrating a Table file into the HEX editor. Will make life much easier. In some odd cases because on one part of the game a character may equal one thing, in another part of the game it may equal something else also so sometimes you may need to make 2 separate character tables in this scenario. In Hydlide 3 for NES it uses 3 separate font tables so the values of characters are different at the intro, game play, and ending section of the ROM.

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:58 pm »
When you try relative search in FF1, keep in mind that the game's text uses DTE.  This means you may have to try many words to get your initial match.

Not sure why value scan relative doesn't work.  I've never needed to use it.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:51:51 pm »
You may want to take a look at the table file on the data crystal. It also has some letter combinations for a single hex value which could throw off search results.

http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Final_Fantasy:TBL

TuesdaysGone

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:20:53 am »
OK thank you for your answers ;)