News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda Tech question  (Read 2040 times)

undead316

• View Profile
Zelda Tech question
« on: July 14, 2012, 02:14:05 pm »
Hi, I'm having trouble replacing the overworld warp caves. I've selected where the entrances are to the warp cave, but every time I test I step on a stair case and the game stops. How do you select where the caves exit?

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
Re: Zelda Tech question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »
Open the ROM in a hex editor and go to the offset $19344. There will be four "screen IDs" listed there. These are the locations the warp caves will bring you to. The values specify a map location, where the first digit is the Y coordinate and the second digit is the X coordinate (0, 0 being the top-left corner of the map). For example, $49 would be the fifth screen down, tenth to the right.

The reason the game freezes is that when you step on a stairway, it looks through the list until it finds the screen you're in. If it doesn't find your screen, it keeps scanning forever.

undead316

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 04:08:57 am »
Thank you, It's been a hold up for me trying to figure it out.  I can't believe it's that simple, should be able to post my demo soon now that obsticle is out of the way.  8)

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:59:02 pm »
Would you consider adding a sprite editor that arranges the sprites to be easily modified instead of how they are pieced way out of order when you use a basic tile editor? If this were possible would implementing a copy and paste option work if you were using other programs for instance like paint of YY_CHR or something along those lines which supported copying and pasting within each other? This would make graphics substitutions so much easier for anyone who wants to make mods for this game.