News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: More Contra Goodness  (Read 4342 times)

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
More Contra Goodness
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:31:12 pm »
At last! Revenge of the Red Falcon, in a single ROM. In a previous release, I said that I found how to expand the ROM with minimal effort. Well, apparently, it took quite some time to put all the pieces together from the two "parts". I had to make sure all the new ASM was in place and working. But the expansion itself was a piece of cake...

Having an entire 0x4000 extra bytes at your disposition is quite reassuring. Before that, I was always wondering if some data would overwrite something important, and having the hack in two parts was not cool. My editor Red Falcon had to be updated to take the expansion into account...

For those who think the hack is too hard, I decided to make an easier version. I'm usually against that, but seeing how I struggle to beat any level without losing a life, I thought maybe it's ridiculously hard, and that the default difficulty would be more than enough for many players. I will probably adjust a few things in the regular version as well. The easy version is simply the equivalent of the original game in terms of enemy AI, speed, HP, etc. The levels are hacked the same way, but enemies behave like the original. Seems like a good deal...

And, as was already said in a previous installment, there's also the corollary "inverted" hack: original game with increased difficulty...

Revenge of the Red Falcon - Demo 6 - Single ROM (this archive contains normal and easy modes)
Contra - Hard Mode

If you find any bugs or glitches, please let me know. It's possible that I forgot a few things in the conversion process...

In addition to that, here are links to videos I recorded of the first 4 levels. It's been some time, and many others have recorded their own runs, but I finally decided to add a few of my own. These are not perfect runs, although I wish they were. Maybe it will give you an idea of how to maneuver into the excessive showers of bullets and bombs...

Normal Run - Level 1
Normal Run - Level 2
Normal Run - Level 3
Normal Run - Level 4

Enjoy!

gadesx

• View Profile
Re: More Contra Goodness
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 04:07:06 am »
There is some way to change the sprites? make new areas can be interesting  :beer:

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 04:18:25 pm »
You planning on doing a Super C one after this? :D This looks good!

Mega-Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 04:01:50 pm »
You planning on doing a Super C one after this? :D This looks good!

I need new project maybe the Super C editor.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:41:36 pm »
Well, I've got a very incomplete Super-C editor that I've pretty much abandoned if anyone wants to check it out or pick it up. It currently loads the first level (I haven't bothered to find any offsets for other levels) and does not actually support editing yet.

Screenshot:
Spoiler:

Good to see you've managed to get everything into a single ROM, Trax. I wasn't huge on the idea of the game being split between two ROMs.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:42:14 pm »
Found this zip file called Infidelity ROM Converter that has ips patches that convert the original mapper of Contra to MMC3 if its of any use to you.

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=4452
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:37:39 pm by mrrichard999 »

Mega-Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:44:43 am »
Well, I've got a very incomplete Super-C editor that I've pretty much abandoned if anyone wants to check it out or pick it up. It currently loads the first level (I haven't bothered to find any offsets for other levels) and does not actually support editing yet.

Screenshot:
Spoiler:

Good to see you've managed to get everything into a single ROM, Trax. I wasn't huge on the idea of the game being split between two ROMs.

After looking at the rom today DogSoft will resume the project.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:26:50 pm »
Changing graphics in Contra is not trivial, because the graphics are compressed. And also because graphics groups can span multiple locations in the PPU. This is why you can't edit the graphics with a regular tile editor. You have to create a game-specific editor that takes into account these two major characteristics. I may try to do it eventually, but for now, I concentrate on finishing the hack with the original graphics, which are still very good, in my opinion...

There's also another reason, albeit secondary, is how the collisions with the background actually work. It's probably the only major thing I still completely ignore about Contra. The only hint I have is that there are 2 or 3 bytes in the levels headers that seem to determine how each tile reacts to the player...

Super C is a good game, it follows pretty much in the same essence than Contra, and has its own special features. It's not out of the question, but I have a few other projects in the pipe, so I can't really predict if or when I'll have the time to check it out...

About the MMC3 conversion, I think I had it on my hard drive for a long time, but I could never make it work with Nestopia. Although I'm sure it's an interesting feat, I fail to see the utility of such hack, in the context of Contra. The MMC1 mapper already lets you have 16 banks of PRG, which would make the game ridiculously huge. Contra has 8 originally, and I added a 9th one to have more space for RotRF, and I'm not even 25% through...

Good to see that someone wants to take on Super C. Whatever happens, if any of you have compiled info on it, let the community know about it...

Mega-Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:19 pm »
I messed with Super C today and found all level data for all stages.  Now just to put it into editor base and maybe few months release?