News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Atlas question?  (Read 2914 times)

lckhoa

• View Profile
Atlas question?
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:30:55 pm »
I try to understand Atlas for inserting a test script but it seem that I'm not clever enough.

I just want to write text, turn off everything related pointer but it seem i cannot.
I just need a simple thing like WRITE(address, string) and that's all.

Thanks for any help.

Malias

• View Profile
Re: Atlas question?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:55:41 pm »
Is there a particular reason you are using Atlas instead of a simpler script insertion utility?  For your needs, there are many tools which will do exactly what you're trying to do without having to mess with scripts.  I would save Atlas for more complex jobs.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

lckhoa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 10:36:30 pm »
i used romjuice to dump each item into a seperate file and got more than 4000 files.
After translate hundred of them i would like to insert it back for testing.

I'd like the simpler way of working of romjuice so i prefer the inserter also work in the simple way.
The program should run under DOS, support parameter.
Example: program.exe table.tbl rom.ext offset input.txt

Thanks,

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:14:54 am »
Well, feel free to look at this site's Utilities section.  It has a whole category for script extraction and insertion.  I went ahead and took a look at what we have and found this.  I haven't used it, but it looks like it matches the description of what you want.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 08:21:11 pm »
I try to understand Atlas for inserting a test script but it seem that I'm not clever enough.

I just want to write text, turn off everything related pointer but it seem i cannot.
For a straightforward text insertion without pointer writing, you'll still need a few commands at the top of the file.  This'll be what the start of each file looks like (changing the addresses obviously):

#VAR(tbl, TABLE)
#ADDTBL(tbl, "yourtable.tbl")
#ACTIVETBL(tbl)
#JMP($10010)
Your text here<END>
More text here<END>
...And so on.

If this isn't acceptable, then look at the generic inserter inside of TableLib.

lckhoa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 08:56:38 pm »
Thanks for answer but Atlas keep as me about the JMP command but i have one already.

Yeah, i look through the utilities but no luck :)

Finally, i use a spreadsheet program (like MS Excel), paste all translated text (one/row) and write a small VBA function to look-up & convert text-hex.
after that just copy & paste into ROM.

When i need to update pointer thing can do the same.

I know it's not a good way but it's work find and i totally understand/control the way it work.