News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tile Layer Pro Palette Colors?  (Read 7282 times)

InsertCoin25

• View Profile
Tile Layer Pro Palette Colors?
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:11:04 pm »
I am new at using Tile Layer Pro and was wondering how you change the colors after you edit an image. Is there a way to import all the palette colors for a nes game? Every time I change the color and test out the rom it doesn't save the color I used to edit it with. Is there a secret to editing the images with colors. Just need a little help.

Thanks
InsertCoin25

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
Re: Tile Layer Pro Palette Colors?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:16:45 pm »
Hi,

It doesn't work that way, as far as I'm aware. The colors are set by the rom, you would need to hack the rom to change the colors. The tile layer pro software suite, just let's you modify the (4) colors associated to that tile. So let's say that it shows "blue, green, black and white" on your palette, and you change the second color to pink and try to add that color, it won't work, because that color is still green.

That's always been my idea on how it works.

InsertCoin25

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:00:59 pm »
So basically I can only use the colors that are present on the game rom themselves for each individual character. I will see what I can do. Thanks for the help.

InsertCoin25

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 03:32:16 pm »
Pretty much unless you hack the game (ASM knowledge etc.), which I don't have.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:14:06 pm »
Yes, the palettes and the graphics are two different things in (for example) the NES. Somewhere in the ROM is a list of palettes (or with the NES, it may be that there's just a small selection of palettes that everyone must use, but I'm not sure), and the program says "put this graphic on-screen with this palette". Most, if not all, consoles work the same way

I'm sure that, given how the NES has been hacked to death, you can find either documentation or tools to help you change the palette in a game. Not that I've actually tried hacking palettes (never feel the need to). I used something that worked well for the SNES, but I haven't tried the NES.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:33:22 am »
Palette data is stored separately, and applied to the graphics. This is how mario and luigi can be two different colors, but share the same graphics.

To edit the palette, open the rom in fceux. Play until the screen displays the palette you want to edit. In the debugger menu, display the ppu viewer. The palette is displayed at the bottom. Each color is represented by a two-digit hex code. There are two rows of colors, each four sets of four. One row is for background. The other for sprites. The first color in each sprite set is displayed as transparent.

Write down the sequence of 4 color codes. Then in the debugger menu, view the hex editor. In the hex editor menu, change the display to "rom."

Use file search to find your sequence of hex codes. When it arrives, choose "find next" to ensure that the sequence only occurs once. If it occurs more than once, you will have to trial and error your way to find the correct one. (If it does not occur once, attempt the search without the first color. Often roms will establish the transparent color once and store the other three colors separately.

Type the new sequence over the old one. You can know the hex codes of the entire palette by doing a google image search for nes palette.

EDIT:

The changes will not take effect immediately. You will have to get to a point in the game where palette data is being loaded. In some games, you can pause and unpause. Some you will need to change levels, some older ones only do once upon startup, so you'll need to reset. (You know the palette data is being loaded if the colors in the ppu viewer refresh.

If your change is successful, select file, save in the hex editor window.

This may sound daunting if you've never edited hex before, but it's really very easy and a basic skill. Do it. Take a screen shot and post your results.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:01:40 am by M_tee »