News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: SNES fonts  (Read 4404 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
SNES fonts
« on: July 01, 2013, 08:32:36 am »
Okay guys, this is probably a n00b question, but since I can't find much info anywhere, here goes.

While working on my rather easy (though time-consuming) Detective Conan GBC game, I've been wondering about hacking a SNES game, since the SNES is my favourite system and it'd be nice to do something for it, to learn a thing or two. Alas, all of my efforts have thus far been in vain, as it seems that SNES games are far more difficult to hack than NES or GB games. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way it seems: often I can't even find any text through relative searching.

But I stumbled across a game called Hyper Iria, which judging by a forum search, some of you have heard of. Cut a long story short, I did a relative search, actually found some text for once, now I've got my table sorted. So the next task is to replace the font. This is where I'm struggling.

The main in-game text is 8x12 (though most of the characters are only 10 pixels high). Since I have no experience with SNES games, and I couldn't find any documentation on this, I have no idea if the way this game stores the font is typical or not. Basically, the top half is at the bottom, and the bottom half is at the top, with different colours. I prepared a pic to demonstrate.

Yes, I know it says 8x10, because I thought that's what it was. Now I realise one or two kanji are slightly taller, but whatever.

Now, I'd be quite happy to just take a font, chop it in two and reverse it, but the problem is when the top and bottom collide, as they invariably do (I used the 'ka' here because it's a rare example of when it DOESN'T collide). In that case, the colours change. Basically, I have no idea how this should be done, and I wanted to know if anyone had any idea of how to just make a new font in this way.

I also have problems finding the pointers for the text, but that's another problem for another day... ;)

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
Re: SNES fonts
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 08:57:59 am »
Have you tried viewing it in 1BPP mode?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 09:40:08 am »
Yes. :)

I suppose I could show you what it looks like in 1BPP mode, but basically each letter equals 4 tiles, and it doesn't really help much...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:24:13 am »
I don't know what you're using to view the font but it looks perfectly fine to me in Windhex. (offset $50000, 2bpp SNES/GB format, 8x16)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 11:43:20 am »
I used Tile Layer Pro and Tile Molester... and I've just click "row interleaved" on TM, with 2bpp, and it looks fine. :huh:

Guess I don't have a problem after all. :D

Thanks for the suggestion though!

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 07:58:42 pm »
YY-CHR works real well if you view it in 1BPP (16x16) mode.