News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translation of Pokemon TCG2: Need help finding Pointers  (Read 1742 times)

Soniyx

• View Profile
Translation of Pokemon TCG2: Need help finding Pointers
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:20:21 pm »
Hello Community :)

I am currently working on a translation of Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 into german. As source I am using the english translation of Artemis251 on an original japanese Rom. This project is my first translation in the gb/gbc section.

In some cases I need to repoint some text to fit the translation. I tried several methods (2-byte and 3-byte-pointers) I could find.

For example, I tried to repoint the text "START A NEW GAME FROM THE BEGINNING" which is located at 0x2103BF. As pointer I tried BF43. There are 27 instances, but no one in the current rom bank. As 3-byte-pointer (BF4384) there are no matches.

Where am I wrong? Where are my mistakes in finding these pointers?

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of Pokemon TCG2: Need help finding Pointers
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:34:42 pm »
Pointer table starts at $DC000 and each pointer is 4 bytes. Text begins at $E24B0. Subtract DC000 from the text address to get the pointer value, and then reverse the bytes.

Soniyx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 06:18:39 am »
Thank you for your help. I never knew that I had to look for a 4-byte-pointer... With a bit research how the text works, I got it working.

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:26:47 am »
As a bonus, it gives you tons and tons of extra space. In my version, I'm able to keep the original Japanese script and add in the complete English script with space left over.