News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

Which should I start a remake of?

Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX

Author Topic: 2D remake of Final Fantasy VIII or IX?  (Read 6003 times)

lowena

• View Profile
2D remake of Final Fantasy VIII or IX?
« on: June 22, 2013, 09:17:47 pm »
For the past week or so I've been entertaining the thought of starting a 2D remake of Final Fantasy VIII. It is my favorite game of all time (and has been for about half my life :D ) and seeing the thread for the graphical update for the FF7 NES ROM made me want to make something similar for it.

However, after browsing the FF Wikia for fun, I got to thinking that maybe FF9 would be a better candidate for a demake, since it is much more aimed at high fantasy, like games before 7 and 8. So maybe 9 would lend itself better to a demake? I would love to work on either. :)

A disclaimer: This isn't actually going to be a ROM hack, but rather built from the ground up in a modern way. So why post here you ask? Well, my first reason is I got the idea from the thread mentioned earlier on this board, and this is the closest site to anything about fan-games I could find on the internet. And then there's the fact that I'm already registered here, have posted a bit, and lurk a lot. :P

So, what do you guys think? Cast your vote in the poll of which you'd like to see more in a 2D demake, and I'll start working on the winner.

Also, if anyone is interested in joining me, as a programmer and/or artist, I'd love to hear from you too!

EDIT: After much deliberation and reading about ASM, I am willing to make the demake in 6502 assembly, but if and only if someone with any experience in ASM were in collaboration with me. ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:29:53 am by lowena »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: 2D remake of Final Fantasy VIII or IX?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 01:04:19 pm »
First of all, it's a bit meaningless to say you're going to do this in 6502 assembly.  If you want to make the game run on NES hardware, then say you want to make the game run on NES hardware.

Secondly, it's very odd to say that you are "willing" to make this in 6502 assembly and then immediately say you need someone else with 6502 assembly experience.

And thirdly, if it was remotely easy to build entire RPG engines from scratch using 6502 assembly, there would be a lot more people doing it at this point.  It is not remotely easy.  I cannot comprehend what manner of deliberation led you to think otherwise.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

lowena

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:31:38 pm »
Noted.

How so? I'm willing to learn, but since i have very little ASM experience it would go much better if there was someone working on the project that did have some experience.

I guess I should have indicated that if I went down the assembly route, then it wouldn't be from scratch, rather using an existing ROM.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:17:04 pm »
You may want to write to some of the people who did the Final Fantasy hacks in the ROM hack section to get some advice or if some are willing to lend help with this.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 04:03:09 pm »
There are some decent editors out there for NES RPGs, saving most of the trouble of a ground-up hack.  Building over the Chinese FF VII isn't even a bad idea.

However, if you're really just interested in a 2D remake, there's no shame in going the RPG Maker route.  There have been some quality games made in there.  You can stick to the style you want and you don't have to worry about hardware issues and limitations.  It can also be used as the groundwork for a NES hack in the future.

Building from source is complicated, and it isn't likely you'll find source for an engine lying around.

lowena

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 04:19:49 pm »
I'm not sure you could do a remake of 8 or 9 with just an editor, since they have different battle systems, the card games, summons, junctioning,  and so on. I asked on the NESDev forum if anyone knew how to accurately disassemble the FF7 NES ROM, and the only response so far indicates that it might be unwieldy to use the disassembly to create a game off it.

I thought about RPG Maker, but I don't know if I would be able to accurately remake the battle system, the card game, and other things with the RPG Maker engine. So I thought about using a modern language, and thought about C#, since that's the one I'm most comfortable with. But, I think the game would be more popular amongst retro game enthusiasts and ROM hackers if I made it as a NES ROM than if I did i any other way.

Plus, I love assembly and it would be a great way for me to learn it!

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 05:17:25 pm »
I suggest trying out a few good NES RPGs and evaluate which one has the engine best suited for your endeavor (technologically advanced-ness, similarity to FFVIII/IX, estimated extensibility, ...). Then disassemble and understand the parts that you need, e.g. map/field, battle, sound, etc. This will take a lot of time, but you will learn much about the NES, and with your newly acquired knowledge, hopefully be able to implement a map editor for this engine. If you get this far you can start replacing modules that have to be changed, e.g. battle, character stats, and so on (it would be beneficial to choose an engine that is quite modular; heavily intertwined code is very difficult to work with).

Well, that said, this definitely isn't for the faint of heart, but this is very likely a lot faster than developping an NES RPG engine from scratch. Still, if you aren't very determined and love the NES and assembly code, I'd concur with the others and say you should use a high-level language, or something even higher-level like RPG Maker.

Source: I disassemble games and their engines for fun (mostly SNES though, almost no experience with the NES, so take everything with a grain of salt).

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:05:21 am »
I thought about RPG Maker, but I don't know if I would be able to accurately remake the battle system, the card game, and other things with the RPG Maker engine. So I thought about using a modern language, and thought about C#, since that's the one I'm most comfortable with. But, I think the game would be more popular amongst retro game enthusiasts and ROM hackers if I made it as a NES ROM than if I did i any other way.
Quite frankly, the scope of what you are proposing is already so enormous that you should do anything you can to improve your odds of success.  A product that never reaches completion isn't going to have any kind of popularity.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

lowena

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 12:09:30 am »
Quite frankly, the scope of what you are proposing is already so enormous that you should do anything you can to improve your odds of success.  A product that never reaches completion isn't going to have any kind of popularity.
Take a look at Chrono Resurrection, people love it and there's hardly anything to it!

But to be serious, does anyone have much experience with RPG Maker? Would it be suitable for this project? If so, I would gladly do that.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 02:36:03 pm »
Fenix Blade was very popular after a demo release but the code got very messy and his wife died so he stopped it.