News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Rockman 4 MI re-translation project  (Read 27427 times)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
Re: Rockman 4 MI re-translation project
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2013, 04:58:07 pm »
I can't tell if you're being snarky or think that I do know how to hack.  Of course I can't hack, I have more important things in life than to screw around with gibberish hexadecimal that was set in stone 20 years ago by overworked, underpaid Japanese programmers.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2013, 12:33:37 pm »
not sure if trolling or just unintentionally insulted.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 12:29:08 am »
Too big? Really? The font is the exact same size as the font used for the Japanese subtitle. I matched it pixel for pixel.

I believe the issue is not physical size, but visual weight. The MINUS INFINITY is visually heavier than the original Japanese text due to large, uninterrupted, simple white shapes. The Japanese characters were more intricate (by nature) and therefore, the white space was broken up much more so. The new subtitle logo competes with the main title logo, the older one did not. To compensate for this, the new title should be visually weakened. This can be done in size, line weight, caps/lowercase, color, etc.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 03:06:12 am »
not sure if trolling or just unintentionally insulted.

I apologize, I thought you were being snarky and knew how to hack yourself.  I decided to read through the thread entirely to see what you were going at.

As a compromise, I have a good idea of how the NES handles colors.  You wanted Roll to have her traditional colors plus a green bow?  That can be done, given that you only have her and Mega Man onscreen.  The NES uses 8 total palettes, 4 for sprites and 4 for backgrounds.  Mega Man uses two himself, with the second one (eyes/face) being used everywhere else.  Roll just needs two palettes for her dress and bow.  There might be flicker considering the layering, though.

As a matter of fact, I'm no programming expert though, I even came up with a way for Splash Woman to work on an NES.  She was long considered to be "impossible" to render, but in reality she is.  Just wish I could program...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:14:26 am by OneCrudeDude »

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2013, 05:54:25 am »
I believe the issue is not physical size, but visual weight. The MINUS INFINITY is visually heavier than the original Japanese text due to large, uninterrupted, simple white shapes. The Japanese characters were more intricate (by nature) and therefore, the white space was broken up much more so. The new subtitle logo competes with the main title logo, the older one did not. To compensate for this, the new title should be visually weakened. This can be done in size, line weight, caps/lowercase, color, etc.

I hear what you're saying. I didn't consider caps. I could try to come up with some lowercase characters in my weird font. Still, I'd rather someone with some artistic skill could come up with something. I've seen some pretty amazing titlescreen hacks for various Megaman games that make my mockup look pitiful.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 07:44:31 am »
Where did you hear that? ETROM is ETROM. It shouldn't matter if its 72 pins or 60 pins.

Wait...I thought this thing uses the mmc5 audio capabilities meaning it would need to be run in a famicom.  The game doesn't have to be built out of an "etrom" pcb, any mmc5 pcb can be converted.  I built a copy out of a spare just breed ekrom pcb and a ram chip I borrowed from a mario 2 nes cart, it runs fine.

Onecrudedude satoshimatrix can't romhack.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:54:29 am by Drakon »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 10:52:51 am »
Just Breed? :(

I thought the Koei games were considered better Famicom donors (more common and less wanted).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 12:06:11 am »
Just Breed? :(

I thought the Koei games were considered better Famicom donors (more common and less wanted).

I had just breed sitting around and I already have another.  MI is way better than just breed.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 02:38:40 am »
Wait...I thought this thing uses the mmc5 audio capabilities meaning it would need to be run in a famicom.

No. The current versions of Minus Infinity do not use the MMC5's additional square waves. Any MMC5 board could work assuming work ram and battery backed s-ram are in place. 72-pin ETROM boards are just as capable as 60-pin boards are. The only difference is that 72-pin ETROM games are in the $50-80 range whereas the Famicom versions are in the $5-15 range.

Also, the statement that Minus Infinity is better than Just Breed is the preverbal comparing apples to oranges. Minus Infinity and Just Breed aren't even close to being similar.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2013, 01:31:48 am »
Just Breed is a weird game.  A neat, nice looking RPG, but it has this uncanny Micronics feel to it, especially the music.

Also, MI -does- use the extra sound chip, but for only one thing.  When you charge up the buster, the final phase's "wawawawa" sound is allocated to those two.  Play the game in FCEUX and disable all (NES; expanded audio has no volume sliders) sound channels, and the MMC5 channels will play.

With this in mind, using the MMC5 to play sound effects would be great, especially if it would be possible to add an option to choose between "NES" (5 channel) or "FC" (5+3).

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2013, 08:59:50 pm »
I seriously thought he'd use the extra mmc5 sound capabilities.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2013, 11:12:54 pm »
He probably used MMC5 for functions first, and sound second.  If he wanted music, he would've opted with the VRC chips, but even then, they'd only make the music with Famitracker.  I don't think there has been a music hack that uses expanded audio.

Granted the sound effect isolation thing would be neat, though.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2013, 04:13:51 am »
Haven't publicly posted any updates in a bit, but work continues!

Next, I work on better weapon descriptions. Using the original Engrish and kuja killer's descriptions for the 0.01 beta as a base, I also looked at how Megaman Powered Up, Maverick Hunter X and a few other official Megaman games word weapon descriptions. I've also cross referenced the material with the Megaman wiki and other sources.

First up is the all important Mega Buster. Tell me what you guys think.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2013, 07:09:15 am »
Does it really say Rail Shot? And MAGA BUSTER?  :huh:

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2013, 06:20:05 pm »
The "Rail Shot' is unique to this hack. It's the name of the charge shot here.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2013, 11:47:00 pm »
Months have passed with no updates?  :(

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2014, 06:46:50 am »
Version 0.02 has been released, but since it doesn't have the retranslation yet, I'd like to propose a new option in the configuration menu to replace the space saying "ENGLISH COMING SOON":
This setting would let the player play the game with his or her perferred character names. This should change any instance of the character's name appearing in some way (for example, if Rockman gets sucked up by Dust Man's Recycle Inhaler, he could be trapped in an M-Tank or an R-Tank, depending on if the player perfers the name Mega Man or not).

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2014, 07:22:52 pm »
This project is far from dead, I just haven't made any public announcements. The 0.02 prealpha doesn't contain any of my work as I requested presebe didn't include the partial translation I've produced so far.

However, this entire project is very close to being finished, so now more than ever, "ENGLISH COMING SOON" applies and will not be removed until it is replaced by my entire English script.

I've been working with Persebe on this and most things are finished now, with only some exchanges needing to be adjusted.

Before releas,e I will update you guys with previews of the new version. The 0.02 release is a pre-alpha, and lacks currently everything that I've done as I've been working on other projects that require my attention first.

The R-Tank changes probably won't happen, as those are sprites, and would thus require two sets of sprites. I've created a revised font only; something like that is too minor to change the roles.

I've also been toying with the idea of leaving the names in rōmaji - Rockman, Dr. Right, Blues, etc. I'm probably going to lean towards using English names, but not capslock English names.

Anyhow, I'll update you guys with some new info soon.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2014, 01:39:28 am »
The R-Tank changes probably won't happen, as those are sprites, and would thus require two sets of sprites. I've created a revised font only; something like that is too minor to change the roles.
Even so, I've tried my hand at making an M-Tank Mega Man tileset:

It's a rather simple edit of the M-Tank from Mega Man 5. I'm not satisfied with how the horizontally stetched can looks, but it's all I had to work with.

While I'm at it, I thought I'd take a look at Mega Man's Sakugarne sprites:

The top row is the original tileset, the middle row shows the tiles assembled into how they look as the finished sprites before being layered, and the bottom row shows the whole sprites.

I've made a slight improvement on the tiles:

What I mainly did is get rid of the black outline around Mega Man's face. It was a holdover from the original Game Boy sprites, which only had a monochrome palette. Since the sprites were converted into colorful NES sprites, the outline was unnecessary, so the edit was done for the sake of consistency with Mega Man's original NES sprites. I also fixed an error on the Sakurgarne layer, which had one of Mega Man's feet still in the second frame.

And finally, another suggestion for the configuration menu:

Since some games have the option to enable or disable music and sound effects, I think Minus Infinity would have it as well. Useful if you want to replace the music in gameplay videos without having to lose the sound effects.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:40:03 am by NES Boy »

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2014, 09:04:22 pm »
I'll run these by Puresabe and see what he says. thanks for the input.