Parasite Eve - Translation Project

Started by Green_goblin, June 07, 2013, 10:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green_goblin

Hello guys

I've seen that three different romhackers have translated this beautiful game:

Italian: http://www.sadnescity.it/traduzioni/pe/pe.php
French: http://traf.romhack.org/index.php?p=patchs&pid=594
Brazilian: http://www.romhackers.org/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=25&lid=506

Now I'm trying to translate this game into Spanish, and not only that, additionay I'm explaining the whole process step by step in my blog: http://parasiteevetranslationproject.blogspot.com.es/

I have a problem with one TIM file which has multiple CLUTs.

As you can see the palette in the original files is different from the palette in the translated files. I would like you to help me, since I'm a newbie and I don't know how to fix this issue.

The game should look like this:

My translation look like this:

If you visit my last entry in my blog you will understand where the problem is: http://parasiteevetranslationproject.blogspot.com.es/2013/06/step-7-be-careful-with-these-two-images.html

The problem has something to do with different palettes used by the same file.

Can you please let me know how can I fix this?

Thank you and regards!

Lilinda

You're gonna use the English translation as your text's base? If you can, you might wanna go with the Japanese version, simply because the US translatio nwas kinda shit.

Regardless, though, I hope this project succeeds. This is a good game, very forgotten. I hope you can do it. :)
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

FlamePurge

There are a couple of suspect lines in the English version--you guys probably already know about them, but I feel like pointing them out. You know, as someone who's played PE in English several times.

Spoiler
1. Right before the battle with Cerberus, Daniel's son Ben says, "It's not Sheeva! Sheeva's already dead! Aya, please! Don't let her turn into a monster!" Ben says this AFTER Sheeva has already turned into Cerberus, though. A better line to translate from might be, "It's not Sheeva! She's already dead! Aya, please! Don't let her suffer like this!

2. Maeda and Daniel tell Aya that Melissa was seen going into the museum late at night on several occasions, leading to a bit of a weird conversation.

Aya: Eve...? She was going into the museum?!

Maeda: We NEED to go there! We MUST get there before the being is born!

Daniel: Calm down. we're there, buddy...

However, they're actually going back to the NYPD #17 precinct, and then they split up to search the town for Eve. They don't even go to the museum until much, much later. A better line to translate from for Daniel might be, "Calm down, buddy. It'd be too obvious if she went there first. Let's head back to the precinct."
[close]

I hope this helps. I can't speak or read very much Italian, French, of Brazilian, but I'd want those who are able to play the game in their native language to have the best understanding of the game as they possibly can. :)
Check out and discuss my projects

Green_goblin

Quote from: vivify93 on June 07, 2013, 03:34:33 PM
There are a couple of suspect lines in the English version--you guys probably already know about them, but I feel like pointing them out. You know, as someone who's played PE in English several times.

Spoiler
1. Right before the battle with Cerberus, Daniel's son Ben says, "It's not Sheeva! Sheeva's already dead! Aya, please! Don't let her turn into a monster!" Ben says this AFTER Sheeva has already turned into Cerberus, though. A better line to translate from might be, "It's not Sheeva! She's already dead! Aya, please! Don't let her suffer like this!

2. Maeda and Daniel tell Aya that Melissa was seen going into the museum late at night on several occasions, leading to a bit of a weird conversation.

Aya: Eve...? She was going into the museum?!

Maeda: We NEED to go there! We MUST get there before the being is born!

Daniel: Calm down. we're there, buddy...

However, they're actually going back to the NYPD #17 precinct, and then they split up to search the town for Eve. They don't even go to the museum until much, much later. A better line to translate from for Daniel might be, "Calm down, buddy. It'd be too obvious if she went there first. Let's head back to the precinct."
[close]

I hope this helps. I can't speak or read very much Italian, French, of Brazilian, but I'd want those who are able to play the game in their native language to have the best understanding of the game as they possibly can. :)

Wow, that's very interesting. Thank you very much  8)

DSwizzy145

Do you guys happen to know how to mod saves and have time to do one real quick? it's for my PS3 virtual save of Parasite Eve 1 which you guys are translating now.

Green_goblin

Quote from: DSwizzy145 on June 19, 2013, 11:32:06 PM
Do you guys happen to know how to mod saves and have time to do one real quick? it's for my PS3 virtual save of Parasite Eve 1 which you guys are translating now.

I have no idea man.

My project moves forward and we are doing a lot of progress: http://parasiteevetranslationproject.blogspot.com.es/

Thank you guys.

DSwizzy145

Quote from: Green_goblin on July 06, 2013, 06:39:50 PM
I have no idea man.

My project moves forward and we are doing a lot of progress: http://parasiteevetranslationproject.blogspot.com.es/

Thank you guys.
Oh sorry to hear that my mistake & keep up the great work guys! Very well done so far :thumpsup:

weissvulf

Just popped in to say good luck on this project. I've read your blog updates a few times and even learned a couple things. It's nice to see more people working on PS1 titles these days!  ;)

Gemini

Just one suggestion: use better fonts. The squarish ones you have in there now looks pretty much out of place and don't go very well with the game's style.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Green_goblin

Quote from: Gemini on July 17, 2013, 04:26:59 AM
Just one suggestion: use better fonts. The squarish ones you have in there now look pretty much out of place and don't go very well with the game's style.

Yeah, some people said that to me, so now I'm using the default font, which I hate, but that's what people like.

Gemini

Well, the original font is the same used by the Japanese original team (since the engine was already built for dual language support), so it fits in there better than the squarish one. If you really want to use another one, try with a Windows typeface that looks similar, for example Lao UI or Segoe UI.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Celice

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully some fans and gamers can enjoy the game with your patch  :thumbsup:

weissvulf

Nice work!
About the tutorial section, what exactly is the trouble? I took a quick look and it appeared that the screens were just regular headerless 8bpp graphics that are scrambled into 16x16 "tiles" in 128x128 images. There's a block of what appears to be non-graphic data above the images; I would expect that to be the de-scrambling/palette info etc.

If my suspicion is right, you could de-scramble the table that lists the 16x16 block order. Or is all else fails, you can extract each 128x128 image as raw data and tack it on to a generic 8bpp TIM header for editing. They would still be scrambled, but could be translated with a bit of work.

I extracted this from as 0x4000 bytes of raw image in a hex editor (in PE.IMG at 0xA47F088) and tacked it onto a generic 8bpp TIM header. The palette is generic of course, but it would be discarded when the raw image was reinserted in the game.

It would be pretty easy to make a tool that did this automatically.

Green_goblin

Thank you very much weissvulf, I don't have the skills to do that (I'm just a translator) but I'll try to find those images and contact CUE who is my romhacker in this game. Any help would be mucha ppreciated, of course. Maybe I will be able to complete the 100% translation thanks to you   :crazy:

October 12, 2013, 05:17:05 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Hi again weissvulf.

Can you please copy here the structure of a generic 8bpp TIM header?
Also can you tell me which generic pallette have you used to generate that little picture in your latest post?

Thank you and regards

weissvulf

Sorry, I didn't notice these questions until now.
HERE is a simple tool I made for the project I am working on, but adapted a little for PE. It extracts raw image data into a TIM and then reinserts it. It doesn't have any fault detection so please back up any files before using. The source code is also included- it's in Autoit format which is uber-simple.

The tool reads a text file for a list of the image locations (PE.txt is included as an example). The 1st line should be the source file's name (PE.IMG etc) after that list each graphic's start location. End with <END>.

But to answer your questions. The whole header (header+palette) I used is:
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

That begins with the TIM tags info:
10000000 09000000 0C020000 00000000 00010100

Then 512 bytes of palette (2bytes per color)

followed by the final info tags:
0C400000 C0030000 40008000

This generic header is also listed at the end of the source code, but you could probably find the correct palette in the VRAM and use it instead of this generic one.   :thumbsup:

Green_goblin

Oh yeah, thank you very much, now I'll try your tool  :)

--------

Here is the deal:

This screenshot was taken using the Peops plugin (I don't really know how to use the VRAM).
This plugin allows you to make screenshots using the F8 key and then you get an image which includes textures, palettes, etc.

As you can see here we have the picture and just below we have the palettes. Each horizontal line seems to be a palette (256 colors each). I see 15 horizontal lines, so I suspect that each TIM will have 15 different CLUTs.

If all this is correct... then I've found the correct CLUTs for all those images. The screenshot does not show the real colors, but it's a good approximation. What do you think?

------------------

Until I find where is the real palette I'm using this black and white pallete thatworks quite well.
In order to load this black and white palette I did the following. First we need to create a 256 black and white palette. That's very easy, Photoshop already includes this. We open any image, go to Image > Mode > Indexed Color.
Here we create a 256 color palette, click OK.
Then we go once again to Image > Mode > Color Table...
Here we select the Grayscale palette instead of the Custom palette, and we save this black and white palette as .PAL extension.

Now we need a modified version of Tile Molester (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/515/) which is able to open and load .PAL files. We load the binary part where those images are stored, then load the black and white palette and:

Now the real challeng woul be de-scramble all those mixed tiles. Any ideas?  :)

weissvulf

Those absolutely look like the palettes to me, but I don't think each image necessarily has 15 CLUTs. Several images were loaded into VRAM at once so it could be 15 images are loaded each with a single CLUT or such.

I don't know if a tool already exists to reorder scrambled tiles, but if there is not one:

You could try to find the data used to descramble the tiles and change it. I would expect that data to be arranged in a table which lists the start locations for each tile needed to draw a screen. If you changed the table to make it read the tiles in a sorted sequence, you would just have to descramble the images once by hand, and then you could edit them normally in Tile Molester.

Another possibility, if you found the tables that listed the descrambling order, you could make a tool (or modify my tool) so that it reads the table to locate and assemble the tiles- extracting them as images ready to translate, then reversed the procedure for re-insertion. Even if you can't find a table with descrambling data, you could chart the tile locations manually (in a txt document etc) and my tool could be modified to extract assembled images.

Other than those semi-automated possibilities, all I would know is plain brute force - assemble descrambled images by hand, taking note of were each 16x16 tile belongs, edit the assembled image, then chop it up into tiles and put them back where they go  :o

Green_goblin

Quote from: weissvulf on October 13, 2013, 05:03:50 PM
Those absolutely look like the palettes to me, but I don't think each image necessarily has 15 CLUTs. Several images were loaded into VRAM at once so it could be 15 images are loaded each with a single CLUT or such.

I don't know if a tool already exists to reorder scrambled tiles, but if there is not one:

You could try to find the data used to descramble the tiles and change it. I would expect that data to be arranged in a table which lists the start locations for each tile needed to draw a screen. If you changed the table to make it read the tiles in a sorted sequence, you would just have to descramble the images once by hand, and then you could edit them normally in Tile Molester.

Another possibility, if you found the tables that listed the descrambling order, you could make a tool (or modify my tool) so that it reads the table to locate and assemble the tiles- extracting them as images ready to translate, then reversed the procedure for re-insertion. Even if you can't find a table with descrambling data, you could chart the tile locations manually (in a txt document etc) and my tool could be modified to extract assembled images.

Other than those semi-automated possibilities, all I would know is plain brute force - assemble descrambled images by hand, taking note of were each 16x16 tile belongs, edit the assembled image, then chop it up into tiles and put them back where they go  :o

Thanks weissvulf, something tells me that those tiles must be sorted in a certain order, and using an specific algorithm to sort the tiles.

For instance this image:

Looks like this:

I suppose that all the pictures follow the same logic, so we just need to de-scramble one file and then we will have the key to hack them all  :)