News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help!! Titlescreen menu compression(SOLVED)  (Read 2054 times)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Help!! Titlescreen menu compression(SOLVED)
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:23:22 pm »
I am working on the Title screen of Keisan Game Sansuu 3 Toshi.
I have run across some compression of some 16x16 tiles that I have no idea how to get to in the hex editor.
I can alter them in Tile Layer Pro but when I try to look for the indidvidual bytes in Winhex I come up blank.
I had preview of this in Sansuu 2 but I was able to figure it out.
But this I can not figure out to save my life. Erase that particular tile won't work because it is assigned to three particular spot in the rom.
Twice in the submenu an once in the title screen.
I was wondering if anyone has run into this type of problem and what did you do to fix it.
I'd just like to get rid of the one in the titlescreen. It is a - symbol. I found the spot in the rom where it is but it has what equates to an empty spot in the game where those  two bytes should be.

June 03, 2013, 08:09:35 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
NVM I figured it out.  Wish I had one of these right now! :beer:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:31:55 am by Pikachumanson »

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
Re: Help!! Titlescreen menu compression(SOLVED)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:55:26 pm »
Pik, how did you go about solving this? I'm having the same issues with Super Chinese 3 - Dragon Kid. I see the table etc., but anything I search for in Windhex, nothing comes up.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Help!! Titlescreen menu compression(SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:00 pm »
You'll have to poke around and look for the values. For expample let's say we have a Kanji with 01 02
                                                                                                                                                        11 12

When looking in the rom you'd like to see them 01021112 or you'll see 0102 with 1112 being a couple spaces away or right under it.
It wasn't like that for this game. Either I had to go searching through or near the Vram for it or the values were out of order. Even using FCEUX with code data logging didn't reveal it. But I would try that first if I were you and check every instance where one of the values you are looking for comes up. It's a bitch, I know but that's how I got through it. Makes me wish I knew 6502 better so I'd know what I was looking when I do a trace.

If you open the FCEUX hex editor and use code data logging when the title screen comes up, then you should see the area you are working highlighted in blue. Sometimes it's in yellow but in my experience I've learn that yellow could mean a pointer are data that when you change it and don't know what you are doing can freeze the game. The blue is usually the area that the game is using right now.

here is a string I had a hard time finding. Maybe yours might look like this. I found in line 480 in the hex editor.
02028283929302024E4F5E5F020280819091

0202 was the control code that told the game how many bytes there and where to place them. The first 02 was for the top two bytes like 82 and 83 and the second 02 was for the bottom two bytes 92 93.

This one was a simple pattern but if you don't know what to look for it can be hard to catch.

Sometimes you'll get unlucky... like me and see the area where your values should be only to find them up with FF's or in my case DD's.
That's when you gotta poke around the rom and check the vram and hope the values are stored there.  I don't wanna confuse you or nothing but, I'm just trying to explain it the best I can.