News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Link's Awakening GirlType WIP  (Read 7375 times)

Cralex

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Link's Awakening GirlType WIP
« on: May 31, 2013, 08:34:17 pm »
Hey guys, the name's Cralex and I’m working on my very first hack. Link's Awakening - GirlType is a simple hack that replaces Link with a female protagonist that I'm working on in preparation for a much larger hack later. In the tradition of the original game, the script changes should be fairly minimal and consistent what something that Nintendo might have produced. This Hack is still a work-in-progress.
This Hack is made with LALE and is, therefore, for the clean US 1.2 only.

0.3 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/672765/Zelda%20Link%27s%20Awakening%20GirlType%20Current.zip

Version History:
0.1 Easy changes made
0.2 Some changes requiring script revisions are made.
0.3 More of the above. (Current)

Roadmap:
0.5 First version of script changes done.
1.0 In-game sprite changes done.
1.5 Pre-photo cutscene sprite changes done. (Help or advice wanted!)
2.0 Photos and/or Intro & Ending Artwork changed. (Help or advice wanted!)

The hack is still an early work in progress and, therefore, doesn’t have any graphics changes yet. (What’s the best utility or guide for this?) Also, I’m looking for the community’s advice with some of the text:

Crazy Tracy- I had her call the player “honey” instead of “big guy,” but I’m not sure if there’s something better I could use instead.

Places where the character is called “runt,” “buffoon,” “rat,” or “fool.”

Places where Marin asks the player not to forget her. (Most of her lines aren’t touched yet. I want to get a “good friend” vibe going without it being creepy or cheesy). 

The goat- I changed “gentlemen” to “nice girl,” which works well enough as a compliment but not for when you refuse her favor. (I thought you were a nice girl.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:15:02 am by Cralex »

Da_GPer

• View Profile
Re: Link's Awakening GirlType WIP
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 01:38:48 am »
I was wondering if you can provide some screenshots for us to see please?

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:20:29 am »
I was wondering if you can provide some screenshots for us to see please?
He's correct. If you're promoting your project & you want to generate interest &, more likely, assistance from fellow romhackers, you need to post screenshots.

Cralex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:16:29 am »
Sorry, I was on a time crunch yesterday. I'll make more later, I just don't have anything too impressive yet.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:47:51 pm »
So still the same old sprite.  Really hard to associate that with a girl.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 12:52:11 pm »
He did say he didn't make any graphic changes yet.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 01:38:43 pm »
So still the same old sprite.  Really hard to associate that with a girl.
Maybe for someone who knows who Link is, but people who don’t know who Link is get confused about it all the time.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Cralex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 05:43:40 pm »
Maybe for someone who knows who Link is, but people who don’t know who Link is get confused about it all the time.

Ain't it the truth? :) Seriously though, I won't have too much to show until I can start working on the sprites. I found the Gameboy Tile Editor and looked around, but naturally everything's all jumbled up. Anybody know of a better tool? I also didn't see anything in there for working with the GBC colors.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:16 am »
Ain't it the truth? :) Seriously though, I won't have too much to show until I can start working on the sprites. I found the Gameboy Tile Editor and looked around, but naturally everything's all jumbled up. Anybody know of a better tool? I also didn't see anything in there for working with the GBC colors.
I'm not 100% sure, but I thought in one of the GameBoy Zeldas, most of the main character sprites were compressed? If so, maybe that new Link's Awakening editor could help out for decompressing and recompressing/inserting the graphics for you.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:53:38 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:37:10 am by Chpexo »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 11:35:16 pm »
As far as I know, all or most of the graphics in both versions of LA are uncompressed.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 11:50:56 pm »
I must be thinking of the Oracle Zelda games then :p

In that case, it may be that the graphics you're viewing are offset a bit; you may need to shift the address you're viewing to get the images to align and be recognizable to you. But actually...

You might just need a graphics editor that's capable of arranging the graphics, instead of just displaying them in a linear fashion. I use YY-CHR and here at $31800 seems to be some of the main character sprites. Note that I've arranged the tiles in YY-CHR according to 'FC/NES x16' orientations, which make the graphics recognizable.

Palettes are stored separately from the sprites themselves; you can edit them with a hex editor. I think VisualBoy Advance can display the loaded palettes, which should help you if you want to run a search for the data in the ROM (so long as the palettes are stored plain and uncompressed). I'm not fancy enough to use any of the debugging tools to discover where data's at so this has been my standard method :/