News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: LALE - Link's Awakening Level Editor [Released]  (Read 7894 times)

Vanisle

• View Profile
LALE - Link's Awakening Level Editor [Released]
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:57:08 pm »
Welcome gentlemen/ladies to a project I've been working on for a decent amount of time. After about a year of not actually working on it until a week or two ago, I am finally able to say I am happy with LALE and what I have created to the point where I believe it is ready for a public release. As of right now I do not know if I will continue to update it with features; however, I will fix any bugs that are found with the program.

LALE or Link's Awakening Level Editor (very original name) is a user friendly editor I have been working on. It is very easy to use and everything is loaded 100% from the ROM making it a proper editor.
It is stated in the readme file, but I will state it in this post as well:
The Link's Awakening Level Editor (LALE) is an editor created by Fatories and is designed to edit a "Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening DX (U) (V1.2) [C][!]" ROM. The editor is based around this version of the game and using any other ROM could and most likely will result in many errors.
Please make sure you use this version of the game when using my editor otherwise and reports of bugs will be inaccurate.

I would like to thank Lin because without him this editor would not have been made because he was the one who so kindly helped me learn Gameboy Assembly and provided some information on Link's Awakening so I could create an editor for it.

Enough talk about the editor, how about you see it in action and judge for yourself. If you have any suggestions please feel free to tell me.

A link to the most recent video I have made of LALE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxp_PpxPsDo

If the video is too long and you hate me for some reason then here are some screen shots: (Outdated)
Spoiler:

Current features:
 - Map editing including map data
 - Text editor
 - Chest editor
 - Warp editor
 - Minimap editor
 - Enemy/object placement
 - Initial start position editor
 - Sign pointer editor
 - Owl statue editor
 - Palette editor.
 - Sprite bank editor.

And many more little features for hacking Link’s Awakening. I will provide updates as I add new features to the editor.

The project page is located here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/966/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:43:38 am by Fatories »

Auryn

• View Profile
Re: LALE - The new Link's Awakening Level Editor
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:22:19 pm »
I am more into translation and not into hacking/modding games but looks good.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:22:21 pm »
Oh wow, now I have to get back into the gb zelda hacking scene again.  A new level editor means I can create another awesome hack.  I've got tons of awesome suggestions too.

Vanisle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:21:33 am »
I have made a few updates to LALE and have edited the topic for anyone who is interested. I have updated the screenshots in the thread to show a few things not shown in the previous screenshots, the video however is still the old version. Finally I have added in the topic a little message explaining that I will be going on a vacation in a few days, so I apologize to anyone really interested in this project.

Vanisle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 08:31:25 pm »
Gooooooooood news everyone. After the longest amount of time spent not working on this project, I have finally picked it back up again. After a week or two of working on bug fixes and features, LALE is now ready for a public release. I am both excited and surprised that I even made it this far on this project.

Updates for the editor mainly include bug fixes; however, I have created a text editor for the game and I have made an initial start position editor and I have added a room events editor since last time. I suppose the object editor is another update, but I did mention it before this post.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:55:30 pm by Fatories »

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
Re: LALE - Link's Awakening Level Editor [Released]
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:34:23 am »
Congrats, very interesting.

Vanisle

• View Profile
Re: LALE - Link's Awakening Level Editor [Released]
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 06:08:40 pm »
I have made some updates to LALE (which can be viewed in the video) and submitted a new release to romhacking. The new version is 1.10 and it contains an overhauled text editor (can see it in the pictures and video) as well as two new little editors.