News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Megaman 4 Crashes after expanding ROM  (Read 2020 times)

RetroRain

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel: RetroRainZX85
Megaman 4 Crashes after expanding ROM
« on: June 07, 2013, 07:48:26 pm »
For some reason I can't seem to expand this ROM properly.  Everytime I do the ROM won't boot.  I tried adding the free space after the header, and before the last two 8K banks (because they're hardwired), and the ROM won't boot.  What am I doing wrong?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Megaman 4 Crashes after expanding ROM
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:03:13 pm »
Mega Man 4 is already at the mapper's maximum size.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

RetroRain

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel: RetroRainZX85
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 08:10:50 pm »
I managed to expand it though now.  I figured out why it was crashing.  Apparently when I was adding the expanded space, the last two banks weren't being loaded into their proper areas.  The game runs, but because you said the game is already at the mapper's maximum size, does this mean I won't be able to utilize that extra space?

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 04:43:08 am »
Might I ask what you're asking this for? Are you planning a Rockman 4 hack that uses new graphics or audio or something?

I'm not sure if it will help, but I suggest you take a look at the most advanced Megaman 4 hack there is - Rockman 4 Minus Infinity.

It's double the size of Rockman 4 (1MB PRG/CHR combo!) and I'm pretty sure the MMC3 version still uses TGROM. Granted, the insane Rock4MI also has an MMC5 with battery backed sram version, so if all else fails maybe you might be able to look to Rock4MI as a base instead of a the original for a new hack.