News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Home built wideboy advance  (Read 7021 times)

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Home built wideboy advance
« on: June 01, 2013, 12:23:13 pm »
It's all done except for relocating the cart slot, wiring in controls and obviously building a case for this thing.

Wideboy + home built devcart + colorized gameboy romhacks ftw!

Once I get this thing more built I can have direct captured gameplay footage of gb, gbc, and gba (oh wait I don't have a gba flashcart yet) romhacks running from the real hardware.  It's all hardwired together and glued firmly so nothing will break.  Uses a single ac adapter.

Thanks to bacteria for posting the hard wiring guide-o.

Thanks to the taiwanese company that made this tv converter thing.

The video connections were all wired wrong by default and the s-video output circuit needed tweaking but i fixed it all and completely got rid of all the video distortion.

*edit*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjcG0jn2Jr8&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:23:02 am by Drakon »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: Home built wideboy advance
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:00:26 pm »
That must be drakon and spikemans sml colorized hack. I heard my hack dont work on real hardware.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 02:10:23 pm »
Man Drakon you make some cool sh*t. but...this seems mighty pointless in fact of the GameCube's GameBoy Player or the upcoming Retorn5 and evident GB/GBC/GBA adapter for SNES by RetroBit. A lot of work to do something that GameCube owners have been doing for a decade now.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 03:05:07 pm »
Practically speaking I am going to have to agree with Satoshi_Matrix but that is not necessarily what hacking is about so I can go in for it.

"home built devcart"

Colour me interested if this is for the GBA, I have seen http://www.ziegler.desaign.de/GBA/gba.htm#homebrew%20flash%20cart before but nobody has really tried anything for some time and whenever I think about it I think about fiddling with bankswitching and other nonsense and decide "maybe later" (basic flashcart -- easy enough, commercial grade or better -- considerably less so).

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 03:11:57 pm »
Man Drakon you make some cool sh*t. but...this seems mighty pointless in fact of the GameCube's GameBoy Player or the upcoming Retorn5 and evident GB/GBC/GBA adapter for SNES by RetroBit. A lot of work to do something that GameCube owners have been doing for a decade now.

I do it for fun.  This way I don't need a stupid boot cd to fire it up.  Also buying this stuff is cheaper than buying a gamecube + gb player.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 05:46:28 pm »
Looks kinda unsafe though.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:25 pm »
Wouldn't playing GB or GBC hacks on a GBA require the use of Goomba?  If you want the real thing, I hear the "USB 64M Smart Card" is the way to go.
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card
http://truechiptilldeath.com/blog/2010/01/23/review-usb-64m-smart-card/

Looks kinda unsafe though.
Hardly.  The worst thing that could happen would be that the GBA would get fried. We are not talking about high voltages here.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:42:55 pm »
The original GBA and GBA SP support GB/GBC. It is only the micro and DS that don't support them.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 10:39:43 pm »
The original GBA and GBA SP support GB/GBC. It is only the micro and DS that don't support them.

Yup so with this baby I get to enjoy gba, gbc and original gb games on my tv in perfect looking s-video.

Jorpho is right nothing is unsafe if you know how to place things so nothing shorts.  Notice I have it sitting on a plastic lid to prevent shorts.  Guess what consoles are, pcbs housed in plastic cases.  Jorpho is again right about low voltages inside of it, what do you think that giant ac brick does?  It brings the voltage down to a teeny level that could barely power a bug zapper.  This isn't done I'm building a case for it with a straight wired controller port.  This's just the difficult / annoying part of the work out of the way, the rest is fairly safe and straightforward.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 03:26:14 am »
It just seems a little pointless now, since in addition to the GameBoy Player, RetroBit recently announced a Super NES adapter for GB/GBC/GBA games, similar to what the Super GameBoy is but more advanced. It will even come with it's own link cable ports for mulitplayer.

I have no shortage of ways to play my GameBoy collection, but I'm excited for this myself. Still, it doesn't take away that your hack is very cool though. Just kinda....ten years too late?

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 11:24:00 am »
I'm NOT trying to make something for people to buy.  I wanted something that's the real hardware and works nicely without the need for a boot cd.  That's what this is.  This is for dev-work and romhack fun, personal use.  Why do you treat every mod I make like it's something I want to sell?  I'm not trying to compete with whatever else is out there.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 03:01:18 pm »
I completely agree. Not all endeavors must be motivated by utility or an original purpose that no one else has achieved before; personal gain and motivation, the experience of achieving a mod like this, is more than enough.

I wonder why so many people seem to think something isn't worthwhile simply because there have been previous alternatives... It seems a pretty narrow and provincial way of thinking  :-\

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 05:26:19 pm »
I'm NOT trying to make something for people to buy.  I wanted something that's the real hardware and works nicely without the need for a boot cd.  That's what this is.  This is for dev-work and romhack fun, personal use. 

More power to you!  Sometimes making stuff for yourself is more rewarding than making something to sell.  Don't get discouraged by any the comments that you don't like.  Keep up the good work!  Wish I had that kind of skill to build stuff like this.  :)

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 09:28:19 pm »
That is true, but you cannot boot into "GB/GBC mode" on a GBA or GBA SP with a standard GBA flashcart.  That's why Goomba is needed – to run GB/GBC games in GBA mode.

In theory, you can use an ancient Flash2Advance cart (the ones that ran off a parallel port) and something called a "GB Bridge".  I've also heard suggestions that you can force GB/GBC mode just by sticking a piece of paper on the right pin in the cartridge port.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 09:33:50 pm »
Other people told me the GBA/GBC mode is toggled by a tiny switch that gets physically pushed by the weight of the pins on the appropriate cart.
That would explain why I've heard of worn consoles being unable to boot one or the other.
(wish I could remember the exact details)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 11:34:35 am »
That is true, but you cannot boot into "GB/GBC mode" on a GBA or GBA SP with a standard GBA flashcart.  That's why Goomba is needed – to run GB/GBC games in GBA mode.

In theory, you can use an ancient Flash2Advance cart (the ones that ran off a parallel port) and something called a "GB Bridge".  I've also heard suggestions that you can force GB/GBC mode just by sticking a piece of paper on the right pin in the cartridge port.

Instead fo using an ancient flashcart for gb / gbc stuff I built myself a gb / gbc cart that takes eproms and eprom pinout flash chips:

With standard eproms this thing goes up to 8mbit games.  I've since upgraded it (no pictures) by adding address lines to attach chips that go all the way up to 64mbit.

Other people told me the GBA/GBC mode is toggled by a tiny switch that gets physically pushed by the weight of the pins on the appropriate cart.
That would explain why I've heard of worn consoles being unable to boot one or the other.
(wish I could remember the exact details)

The gb / gbc switch is pushed by the cart shell.  GBA carts have grooves near the pin connector so they don't hit the switch.  It's a stupid design, they should have just made a bios that scans for gba code.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 11:50:15 am »
The gb / gbc switch is pushed by the cart shell.  GBA carts have grooves near the pin connector so they don't hit the switch.  It's a stupid design, they should have just made a bios that scans for gba code.

Given it also drops the voltage from 5v of the GB/GBC to 3.3V of the GBA and the annoyance of doing probes on 2001 vintage hardware (ignoring that the GBA was not exactly cutting edge even then) vs a simple switch I would not call bad design just yet.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 05:38:04 pm »
I have exactly the flashcard you're talking about and this does NOT work (I tried). I'm also glad it didn't destroy the flashcart, considering the GBA becomes 5V when you force it in to GBC mode while the flashcard has been designed to be powered by 3V.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 09:31:17 pm »
Given it also drops the voltage from 5v of the GB/GBC to 3.3V of the GBA and the annoyance of doing probes on 2001 vintage hardware (ignoring that the GBA was not exactly cutting edge even then) vs a simple switch I would not call bad design just yet.

Voltage difference I wasn't aware of.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 12:27:50 am »
Instead fo using an ancient flashcart for gb / gbc stuff I built myself a gb / gbc cart that takes eproms and eprom pinout flash chips:
Now that's pretty nifty!  Did you make it from scratch?  I guess you have to burn a fresh eprom each time you want to play a different game.