News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Japanese Vertical style text  (Read 3622 times)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Japanese Vertical style text
« on: June 01, 2013, 08:22:49 am »
You know the kind I'm talking about. Think ancient china or japan and you are unfurling a scroll and you see the character all in nice neat vertical rows.

Anyways my question is for those who have encountered this style of text in a hex editor. How is it usually found and stored? What was your case like and how did you solve it? I ran into a problem with vertical text in my game and thinking of ways that i can find it.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Japanese Vertical style text
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 08:45:14 am »
When it's used for dialog, it's usually stored like any other dialog - first character displayed first, last character displayed last. The tricky bit comes with reprogramming the game to display left-to-right text roman-style, which is an advanced topic you're probably not ready for.

When it's used for the occasional one-off stillscreen, you still have to figure out how the game is rendering the screen, but past that it's usually like any other graphic. You rewire the tilemap/pattern table/whatever the same way you'd do any other. A title screen, for instance.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:02:28 am »
Thank you sir, I found it! Ugh... I was trying to search for it like it was rle encoded because I was dead sure the text was programmed in some special way, when all I had to do was search for the damn string! :-\

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:27:57 am »
Having fun with tategaki are we.

Gideon Zhi said it already but before reprogramming there is the cheating bastard way of making things line up, it can do well if there are only a few lines of text to do (and it is not the most common way of writing Japanese text so it is usually stylistic or artistic reasons) and there are enough on the screen (and lined up*) to make it viable.

*the artistic stuff does have a tendency to float around the screen randomly)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:40:23 am »
It just said said something obvious that was already on the game screen to begin with. Multiplication. So, I just erased it since I didn't have or know how make enough space to input the whole word to begin with.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »
(and it is not the most common way of writing Japanese text so it is usually stylistic or artistic reasons)
On a screen, sure, but in print or handwriting, vertical is far more common.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:50:32 pm »
The NES (and maybe SNES) PPU do have a vertical transfer mode (VRAM address auto-increments one row after each write).
It's just that most games use horizontal text and thus use the horizontal mode (at least for text. Maybe some could use vertical mode for map scrolling purposes. I noticed Momotarou Densetsu does use it that way.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:31:38 pm »
The NES (and maybe SNES) PPU do have a vertical transfer mode (VRAM address auto-increments one row after each write).
It's just that most games use horizontal text and thus use the horizontal mode (at least for text. Maybe some could use vertical mode for map scrolling purposes. I noticed Momotarou Densetsu does use it that way.)

Simon's Quest in fact uses the vertical mode for screen updates (or at least the engine supports using it that way; haven't actually checked whether it actually uses it).