News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 3.02)  (Read 381165 times)

yourdog

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.10)
« Reply #1060 on: November 10, 2020, 04:39:49 pm »
Hello there, after many years I've decided to dust off FFVI and check out this excellent labor of love to give the game new life. Liking it so far. I patched with v2.10 using the ROMhacking online patcher tool and went with the option for bug fixes, updated opera, and add-ons.
All works fine but I immediately noticed, upon opening my first chest in a new game (and any chest or item that can be found by searching the area) that I can hit A and receive the item again as many times as I want. Is this a bug, or a feature that I missed in the readme? Having trouble finding any info about this in any searches or in this thread. Checked the orignal ROM and it's fine. Thanks folks!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:09:41 am by yourdog »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: November 11, 2020, 12:05:44 pm »
Hello there, after many years I've decided to dust off FFVI and check out this excellent labor of love to give the game new life. Liking it so far. I patched with v2.10 using the ROMhacking online patcher tool and went with the option for bug fixes, updated opera, and add-ons.
All works fine but I immediately noticed, upon opening my first chest in a new game (and any chest or item that can be found by searching the area) that I can hit A and receive the item again as many times as I want. Is this a bug, or a feature that I missed in the readme? Having trouble finding any info about this in any searches or in this thread. Checked the orignal ROM and it's fine. Thanks folks!

That's a new one and I think it MAY have been caused by me messing with the placement of the exclamation points in the dialog script. I just checked my ROMs and this new issue is happening. I'm going to try and fix it now.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: November 11, 2020, 07:50:24 pm »
ROFL what on earth?!? I don't think I'm ever going to update this hack again now! This seems like a fun way to replay this game for the billionth time, heh. Definitive edition indeed.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: November 11, 2020, 11:48:53 pm »
Thanks to the folks at ff6hacking.com (NPCnextdoor specifically), I was able to fix the subroutine of the Treasure Chests.

With that, Version 2.10.1 has been uploaded and is ready for download!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 12:33:44 am by Rodimus Primal »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woosley Uncensored Edition
« Reply #1064 on: November 22, 2020, 07:41:16 pm »
oops disregard
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:45:46 pm by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.10.1)
« Reply #1065 on: December 06, 2020, 08:38:53 pm »
Had to make a quick update to 2.10.2. I thought I had it fixed in the scene with Ramuh in Zozo with a sentence starting with a lowercase letter. That is now corrected and submitted for approval.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 07, 2020, 01:11:13 am »
Surprised that's not becoming a major version bump honestly.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 07, 2020, 01:36:51 am »
Surprised that's not becoming a major version bump honestly.

It's actually something I fixed before. However, when I had treasure chest bug, I went back to a previous revision script try and isolate the issue. I had to re-edit the fixes I made previously, but that was one that I missed. It didn't need that much of a numbers bump.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 07, 2020, 01:01:05 pm »
It's actually something I fixed before. However, when I had treasure chest bug, I went back to a previous revision script try and isolate the issue. I had to re-edit the fixes I made previously, but that was one that I missed. It didn't need that much of a numbers bump.

he's being sarcastic. he's been annoying about updates

i'm glad you're still updating your patches; there's a lot of other projects that i've been going through that have grammar/spelling issues but the authors haven't gotten around to fixing them. with a project as large as FFVI, we can't expect for it to be perfect until more people actually play through the whole thing, and, more importantly, report issues that they find.
free sluffy

Viewer

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 08, 2020, 04:51:54 pm »
Hey, someone's giving your patch some attention.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.10.2)
« Reply #1070 on: December 09, 2020, 12:02:47 am »
Hey, someone's giving your patch some attention.

WOW! Very cool. That's an amazing compliment! Glad he enjoys it!

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.10.2)
« Reply #1071 on: December 09, 2020, 02:40:57 am »
WOW! Very cool. That's an amazing compliment! Glad he enjoys it!
Very cool! There's also a part two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqnfLqW7sP4
I posted a link to the project page since the host didn't in the description.

FFKefkaStan

• View Profile
Hi,

I am having problems using this mod.

Each time I try and use it the games keeps looping at the beginning.

It goes through the intro scene with Biggs and Wedge and the opening credits and then does it over and over again.

I am not sure why this is happening.

I am using Snes9x and have tried the pre-patched and patched version. I have applied the patch using Lunar IPS but once I do so it continues to do the same thing over and over again!

Nothing I do seems to fix it and I am nearly at my wits end.

I have outlined more details in a reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roms/comments/kuut5p/ff_6_cannot_apply_woolsey_patchdesperately_need/

Please let me know what I need to do to solve this.

Thank you for your time and help.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Hi,

It goes through the intro scene with Biggs and Wedge and the opening credits and then does it over and over again.

I am using Snes9x and have tried the pre-patched and patched version. I have applied the patch using Lunar IPS but once I do so it continues to do the same thing over and over again!

I have outlined more details in a reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roms/comments/kuut5p/ff_6_cannot_apply_woolsey_patchdesperately_need/

You're seemingly not using the correct ROM file. Please refer to the ROM requirements in the project page description. You may need to find/make a new ROM which you will need to do on your own as forum rules prohibit us from telling you how/where.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Hi,

From what you've stated on Reddit, your controller wasn't working right or wasn't set up.

Viewer

• View Profile
The Vinesauce playthrough is complete, and one thing that it's definitely shown is that the script still needs some editing. Just looking at the final encounter with Kefka raises some questions:

Why did you have his intro line say "Welcome, fools!" like the Sky Render translation, rather than either the Woolsey/GBA one?

"I knew you'd make it here, so I've prepared some suitable entertainment for you!" is unchanged from SNES and incorrect - I'd recommend "some suitable remarks" or similar.

"I will exterminate everyone, and everything!" and the whole back-and-forth about the temporary nature of life isn't changed from SNES. "And you've found your "joy" in this world that is so close to death?" is a rewrite of the Sky Render translation.

"Now for my next trick, I will make you all...disappear! Say goodbye to your sick little reasons for living!" doesn't quite convey the intended message, since he doesn't attack the party. I'd go with something like "Your sick little reasons for living--for my next trick, I will make them all disappear!"

"I command the greatest power in the universe! You are all helpless before me!" is unchanged from the SNES. I'd go with the GBA line, or change the second line to something like "YOU are HELPLESS and HOPELESS!

Those are my thoughts for now. I hope you take them as intended - to improve the work. If you want more suggestions, I could look at the script, if you wish.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
The Vinesauce playthrough is complete, and one thing that it's definitely shown is that the script still needs some editing. Just looking at the final encounter with Kefka raises some questions:

Why did you have his intro line say "Welcome, fools!" like the Sky Render translation, rather than either the Woolsey/GBA one?

"I knew you'd make it here, so I've prepared some suitable entertainment for you!" is unchanged from SNES and incorrect - I'd recommend "some suitable remarks" or similar.

"I will exterminate everyone, and everything!" and the whole back-and-forth about the temporary nature of life isn't changed from SNES. "And you've found your "joy" in this world that is so close to death?" is a rewrite of the Sky Render translation.

"Now for my next trick, I will make you all...disappear! Say goodbye to your sick little reasons for living!" doesn't quite convey the intended message, since he doesn't attack the party. I'd go with something like "Your sick little reasons for living--for my next trick, I will make them all disappear!"

"I command the greatest power in the universe! You are all helpless before me!" is unchanged from the SNES. I'd go with the GBA line, or change the second line to something like "YOU are HELPLESS and HOPELESS!

Those are my thoughts for now. I hope you take them as intended - to improve the work. If you want more suggestions, I could look at the script, if you wish.

After watching him play it I definitely knew I needed another run through the script completely. I've taken a few notes, including these suggestions as well, so the next update will be a more significant one.

If you want to take a look through and make more, it would help quite a bit.

Viewer

• View Profile
No problem - did you have a dedicated pastebin or document where the lines are?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
No problem - did you have a dedicated pastebin or document where the lines are?

PM'ed you.

Fools back to friends is more fitting, I agree.

The joy bit is actually direct from Woolsey, in fact most of it is. To my understanding, the way this was localized, it was trying to ham up Kefka a bit and make it sound more like HE will bring that inevitable destruction. However, I may expand on that to keep in line with the projects intended goals.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 11:04:47 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
So there's been quite a bit of tweaking to the script in places that really always needed it. I always want to make sure that Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition remains true to its intended goals. That being said, I may be eager to just fix the small stuff that slips through the cracks and post an update, but I am taking my time with this next one. Watching the Vinesauce play-through really helped quite a bit too.

I also wouldn't mind another set of eyes if any are willing to look things over and make suggestions.

Here's some of the tweaks I made:

Walking into the storage room in Narshe:
G'whoa! I've been made!
I am Lone Wolf, the pickpocket! I wanted the treasure!
Changed to:
G'whoa! I've been spotted!
I am Lone Wolf, the pickpocket! This treasure is mine now!

Right after you save Mog and he says "Thankupo!"
Can you talk?!
Changed to:
You can talk?!

When you save Shadow and bring him back to Thamasa:
You were having a nightmare...

Let's rest here for a moment.

Are you okay?
Changed to:
Must be having a nightmare...

Let's let them rest here for a while.

Hey, how are you feeling?

Shadow's dream at that moment was translated okay originally, but it doesn't fully make sense. So here's that update:
You came to fetch me...
But I won't be coming back...
I want you, and the girl,
to live in a peaceful world...
Changed to:
You came to fetch me...
But I won't be coming back...
Stay here, with my daughter.
Both of you, live in peace...