News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.09)  (Read 282598 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.89)
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2017, 04:57:47 pm »
I located it at the ff6romhacking thread, but the patch is still dated 2-20-2016.  Where did you get the updated one?

(Man, there's a number of updates for a bunch of these patches here that weren't posted...!)
Slick Productions: http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=2172.0

As for updates, it's usually all good unless the updated patch itself introduces a bug of it's own design.  Updating existing patches has been a non-hassle so far from here (especially since some eliminate use of space).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:36:25 pm by Chronosplit »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 19, 2017, 08:07:25 pm »
Because the code for the Music Player overlaps a few things in Woolsey Uncensored, Madsuir is kind enough to work on a patch that will move his code to where there is free space for it, using his Config 2 version. I like that one because it uses the extra line space in the Config Menu and doesn't change the Stereo/Mono settings (not that anyone uses that really).

As I metioned before, I'm thinking of making an add-ons patch that add things like this and the Blitz Name Display patch to Woolsey Uncensored. The reason is I like the idea of making it optional to keep in line with Woolsey Uncensored's original goals. I may also add other bug fixes to the bug fix version as well, with any suggestions by you guys as what to add.

Nix the text warning.  Apparently Stuck in a Pose has been updated to fix the bug and lessen the size, so far it's working (thank goodness for both ROM patcher and Unipatcher, I was actually able to do a rare test.)

That screen shot looks awesome by the way!

Okay so no need to change that. I hadn't got to it as I've been super busy IRL so no worries.

February 23, 2017, 06:13:07 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Thanks to Madsuir, I now have a working Music Player that I'm going to test and modify. It uses a large chunk of free space and my concern will be that adding might make other bugfixes NOT in TWUE incompatible. So, like I had said before, this will be an add-on additional patch that will include the Blitz Naming. I'm thinking of other add-ons as well but I certainly would like some input.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:13:07 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 27, 2017, 06:55:16 pm »
It uses a large chunk of free space and my concern will be that adding might make other bugfixes NOT in TWUE incompatible. So, like I had said before, this will be an add-on additional patch that will include the Blitz Naming.

I can do a version that split the code from the song names. Song names use around $600-$700 bytes, there is one other spot in the ROM that qualify for this I think:

Code: [Select]
D4F806-D501FF [2554 Bytes] Unused Space

Even with this solution, you still need the music player code in bank $C3 and this alone use around $400 bytes so it's possible some bugfixes use this space too.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 27, 2017, 08:41:21 pm »
I can do a version that split the code from the song names. Song names use around $600-$700 bytes, there is one other spot in the ROM that qualify for this I think:

Code: [Select]
D4F806-D501FF [2554 Bytes] Unused Space

Even with this solution, you still need the music player code in bank $C3 and this alone use around $400 bytes so it's possible some bugfixes use this space too.
Well I did have to modify the song names a little and I'm going to release it as a "with add-ons patch." With ALL the other bugfixes out there within the community, I'm curious as to what's compatible if the Music Player and Naming Blitz are added in. If the song names are moved it's not a big deal so long as it's after my modifications to them are taken into account.

In fact, that's the next thing. I've uploaded Version 1.90 for approval. In it I've fixed the Blitz descriptions and original placed names to be compatible with the Naming Blitz patch (in case someone wants to add it without the Music Player or other add-ons). I also noticed that the Class Names added in has an added effect of taking away a line of space for Lore Descriptions. As such I had to fix some of the descriptions (some of them needed fixing otherwise anyway) to only take up one line. I was thinking of adding in the Rewards Display into the Add-Ons patches but decided against it unless I got some input from everyone. I also updated the Dance names as they looked incomplete and I'm suprised no one batted an eye.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 27, 2017, 11:31:35 pm »
Well now you've just gone and outdid yourself!  This is all awesome news!

I can't wait to try this new beast. :D

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.90)
« Reply #365 on: February 28, 2017, 11:15:01 am »
Madsuir fixed his Mini-Map enhancement thanks to Leet Sketcher. I may want to test that out to make sure it isn't broke for a future release of the add-ons patch.

Version 1.90 is now live!

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 28, 2017, 11:47:48 am »
Man. I have no idea now how to get all those other bugfixes lined up with your main addons. I'm just going to throw my hands up and let you, Chronosplit, or whoever add them all up in the bugfixes. :D

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 28, 2017, 11:57:29 am »
Man. I have no idea now how to get all those other bugfixes lined up with your main addons. I'm just going to throw my hands up and let you, Chronosplit, or whoever add them all up in the bugfixes. :D

That's why the add-on patch is separate. If you want to add all of the bugfixes, then the Music Player might not fit depending on where that fix takes up free space. Still we may move the Song Names in the ROM to a place that isn't used by others. But testing will have to take place first.

Also, I got a tweet from someone who states there is a line or two that might need fixing. Has anyone come across anything I may have overlooked?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:12:40 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Not quite yet, but I haven't gone very far in the new version quite yet either. :P

GeminiSunfall

• View Profile
Just registered for this forum to say that this is just the patch I've been looking for to play through Final Fantasy VI again with.  I've even been recording and uploading a gameplay series of FFVI using your translation, and what I have seen of it so far (just finished the Magitek Factory) has been very solid.  Combining the best aspects of the original 1994 localization with the refinements of later efforts in addition to doing away with all of the silly censorship, this is probably as good a retranslation as it gets for this great game.

Well, that's not the only reason.  I've encountered a strange graphical error during my playthrough that has been bugging me ever since.

This is Edgar's Bio Blaster on a clean ROM.

This is Edgar's Bio Blaster on a ROM modified by your patch (I'm just using the 1.89 translation patch that comes with no additional fixes).  As you can see, the semitransparent cloud effect is now a solid screen cover. Not only that, but it appears to screw up the graphics of other attacks/skills until you finish the battle (which you can see in this video I recorded)
At first I thought this was an emulator issue and tried switching emulators but no... this is being caused by the patch.
Interestingly enough, this only seems to affect Edgar's Bio Blaster and not the variant usable by Magitek Terra.

Nobody seems to have brought it up on this thread, so I felt compelled to do so.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
I didn't run into this during the current one.  Anyone else?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
So it's not in the bugfix version. I'm going to check previous releases (I have files of them all) to see if it's something that happened along the way. I know the only thing I changed after a while would have been the Sketch fix on all versions since that's a game breaking bug but I will test out what went wrong.

Edit copied from my Youtube response - I believe its caused by the same issue. I noticed that version 1.85 does not have the problem. The only major thing I did to 1.86 was add the Sketch Bug fix to all versions. So I spent the last hour or so working on rebuilding EVERYTHING from 1.85 and up without that fix (on non bugfix versions) back to 1.90 and I will ensure it works before and after adding back that bugfix. The reason I added the Sketch fix was because its the official bugfix for US Final Fantasy III from version 1.0 to 1.1 and it can be game breaking if not applied.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:31:55 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Otaku-2

• View Profile
Hey there, I'm the guy from Twitter that was talkin' about some lines needing fixes.

I've put all of the mistakes I've caught so far in an Imgur gallery. http://imgur.com/a/veXve

Keep in mind this is my first playthrough, and I'll still be playing with the 1.89 patch as I continue through the game. ;)

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
One thing that was just reported to me about the music player:

If a map has 00 as music ID, it's silence / current song, which mean song ID 00 does not overwrite the previous song that was playing. This mean if you are on a map with song ID 00 and use the music player, when exiting the menu the music player song will continue to play, given another song than 00 is not set in the entrance event of the map as an example.

It's not technically a music player bug, more something that needs to be modified in order to take into account this exception. I'll look into this this weekend but the only thing I can think about is stopping the music player song and play nothing if map song ID is 00, since you can't predict when a player will enter a map with song ID 00.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Hey there, I'm the guy from Twitter that was talkin' about some lines needing fixes.

I've put all of the mistakes I've caught so far in an Imgur gallery. http://imgur.com/a/veXve

Keep in mind this is my first playthrough, and I'll still be playing with the 1.89 patch as I continue through the game. ;)

Thanks for reporting this. I'll have these corrected in the next release. If you find any more, let me know. Also, the description for Level 3 Confuse is trying to tell you that casting on a target that's actual level is a multiple of 3 will confuse it. For example, if you cast it on one of your characters, and they are level 18, they will be confused because they are at a level divisible by 3.

One thing that was just reported to me about the music player:

If a map has 00 as music ID, it's silence / current song, which mean song ID 00 does not overwrite the previous song that was playing. This mean if you are on a map with song ID 00 and use the music player, when exiting the menu the music player song will continue to play, given another song than 00 is not set in the entrance event of the map as an example.

It's not technically a music player bug, more something that needs to be modified in order to take into account this exception. I'll look into this this weekend but the only thing I can think about is stopping the music player song and play nothing if map song ID is 00, since you can't predict when a player will enter a map with song ID 00.

Strange. Doesn't the song that the map is on begin to play when you exit the menu? Wouldn't the instructions tell the game to do that? Just curious about the coding of it.

Just registered for this forum to say that this is just the patch I've been looking for to play through Final Fantasy VI again with.  I've even been recording and uploading a gameplay series of FFVI using your translation, and what I have seen of it so far (just finished the Magitek Factory) has been very solid.  Combining the best aspects of the original 1994 localization with the refinements of later efforts in addition to doing away with all of the silly censorship, this is probably as good a retranslation as it gets for this great game.

Well, that's not the only reason.  I've encountered a strange graphical error during my playthrough that has been bugging me ever since.

This is Edgar's Bio Blaster on a clean ROM.

This is Edgar's Bio Blaster on a ROM modified by your patch (I'm just using the 1.89 translation patch that comes with no additional fixes).  As you can see, the semitransparent cloud effect is now a solid screen cover. Not only that, but it appears to screw up the graphics of other attacks/skills until you finish the battle (which you can see in this video I recorded)
At first I thought this was an emulator issue and tried switching emulators but no... this is being caused by the patch.
Interestingly enough, this only seems to affect Edgar's Bio Blaster and not the variant usable by Magitek Terra.

Nobody seems to have brought it up on this thread, so I felt compelled to do so.

I was able to narrow down the issue to me making the mistake of not adding a Header to the Vanilla TWUE Roms (ones without additional fixes) when I added the Sketch bugfix to them. Of course, this meant I had take version 1.85 (the version before that got added in) and redo every fix I made up until this point. Believe it or not, this was a good thing. It meant I got to look over stuff and correct a few things, including what Otaku-2 pointed out before. The next version will also include the Rewards Display in the Add-Ons patches. Has anyone ran into any other grammar issues, bugs or the like? 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:01:40 am by Rodimus Primal »

Otaku-2

• View Profile
I've got a few screenshots from my recent session, in an Imgur gallery as usual. http://imgur.com/a/BjzDm

Also, the description for Level 3 Confuse is trying to tell you that casting on a target that's actual level is a multiple of 3 will confuse it. For example, if you cast it on one of your characters, and they are level 18, they will be confused because they are at a level divisible by 3

Thanks, I honestly don't think I would've been able to figure out what it meant on my own.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
Strange. Doesn't the song that the map is on begin to play when you exit the menu? Wouldn't the instructions tell the game to do that? Just curious about the coding of it.

Many of the maps have the 'play current song' flag set on them, to either continue the song from a previous map (think entering a house inside a town), or use this to play a song via the entrance event during a certain time. So if there is no event bit currently set or clear to play a song, it will play the last current song, which is the music player song.

If a map does have a song that is set to play instead of the play current song, or nothing which it is, than there is no issue with the map song kicking back in after exiting the menu/music player. The issue is for the maps that have nothing/play current song and currently have no event bit telling it a song to play, which there are many instances.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:01:06 pm by Gi Nattak »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
I've got a few screenshots from my recent session, in an Imgur gallery as usual. http://imgur.com/a/BjzDm

Thanks, I honestly don't think I would've been able to figure out what it meant on my own.

All right already! Those have been fixed.

That's actually what the original description is believe it or not. Level 5 Doom's way of saying it might make more sense - Instant Death to multiples of LV 5.

Would it make more sense if it said - Confuse to multiples of LV 3?

Many of the maps have the 'play current song' flag set on them, to either continue the song from a previous map (think entering a house inside a town), or use this to play a song via the entrance event during a certain time. So if there is no event bit currently set or clear to play a song, it will play the last current song, which is the music player song.

If a map does have a song that is set to play instead of the play current song, or nothing which it is, than there is no issue with the map song kicking back in after exiting the menu/music player. The issue is for the maps that have nothing/play current song and currently have no event bit telling it a song to play, which there are many instances.

So it would either be time consuming having to change each map or maybe a line of instruction could tell the Music Player to kick back to in its instructions. Either way it would have to be tested. Either that or I release the next update before Madsuir figures it out.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
Extremely time consuming, and some of them a bit tricky. I'm in the midst of it as we speak lol. Hopefully though Madsiur can code in an instruction to set the song back after closing the player as you mentioned, that's his plan. I just couldn't wait since I have nothing else to fix at the moment and event editing is something I can do to fix this in the meantime for my hack at least.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Extremely time consuming, and some of them a bit tricky. I'm in the midst of it as we speak lol. Hopefully though Madsiur can code in an instruction to set the song back after closing the player as you mentioned, that's his plan. I just couldn't wait since I have nothing else to fix at the moment and event editing is something I can do to fix this in the meantime for my hack at least.

Oh joy. Well it is an optional thing to have, and it's not really game breaking at the moment and I'm confident that Madsuir can fix it. People can still use it, but I'll add a notice into the readme for the time being and I'll release it once a fix is made.

With everything else I had to fix, I'm preparing to release an update again. I just want to make sure there isn't anything else before I release it too quickly. I changed the descriptions for the Lore spells for LV3 Confuse and for LV4 Flare to hopefully be less confusing (pun not intended). I also fixed the grammatical errors from Otaku-2 so far and I'm hoping this irons them out. That line with Strago was fixed to make better sense for the scene.

Version 1.91 is now live.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:14:05 am by Rodimus Primal »