News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.09)  (Read 287041 times)

hapanpappa

• View Profile
Hey Rodimus, wanted to make an account just to inform you about something. First off, thanks for making these hacks for ffiv and ffvi! For my second playthroughs of these games I wanted a more definitive experience(the og versions are fun but we all know they have their faults) and I spent quite a lot of time trying to find hacks that wouldn't make the games feel/play any different, only reinstate&fix some content, and your namingway&ted uncensored editions really found the right balance. They're the definitive versions of these games for me.

On to why I wanted to post. I just now ran into the first ever glitches that I've come across in your hacks. I distantly remember seeing relm's sketch glitch fix in the list of patches for this version so I found this quite surprising. In the phoenix cave in WoR, the sketch command seems to be broken as all hell. I haven't had any problems with it elsewhere, but as soon as I got into that cave, sketching enemies glitches the game in much the same way the original sketch glitch happened, forcing me to reset. I did some testing and it seemed to happen with most of the enemies in the cave. Nothing weird needs to happen to Relm either; I try to sketch as soon as the battle starts and the game breaks in the weirdest ways. It even happened later on in the cave with the red dragon. I sketched it successfully a few times during the fight, yielding lv? holy and firaga, but all of a sudden nothing happened and I was like w0t, until throwing some gil at it with Setzer suspended the game in an endless loop of the throwing animation.

Anyhow, please excuse the elaborate post in case you were already aware of this... But as a fan&long time player of your hacks I felt obligated to report the only glitch that I've managed to find. Thanks again for the best hacks for these games, really awesome job.   

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Thanks for the kind words. Question I have is what version are you using? The Sketch glitch is fixed in the bug fix patches but not the original version. I think I might add it to all versions since it's a game breaking bug

hapanpappa

• View Profile
-deleted-
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:17:37 am by hapanpappa »

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Oh please. No ROM allowed in this forum.
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

hapanpappa

• View Profile
Fair enough; didn't know it's that strict and can't even be discussed. Let's leave it at that then. I'll try to figure it out. Good luck to Rodimus in his future endeavors, will be keeping an eye on your stuff!

Axiphel

• View Profile
Fair enough; didn't know it's that strict and can't even be discussed. Let's leave it at that then. I'll try to figure it out. Good luck to Rodimus in his future endeavors, will be keeping an eye on your stuff!

It's not that it can't even be discussed... You linked directly to a download to a ROM. lol

hapanpappa

• View Profile
Nah, just the site for reference, because what I was asking concerned it specifically. Granted, this seems to be the wrong place for that line of inquiry. No need for zealous mini-modding.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Read the rules.
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Nah, just the site for reference, because what I was asking concerned it specifically. Granted, this seems to be the wrong place for that line of inquiry. No need for zealous mini-modding.

This site has its rules and you can still discuss the issue. Without knowing where you got the ROM from I can still guess where you got it from. I recommend you get a clean unheadered ROM of Final Fantasy III 1.0 US and patch it with the bug fix version instead of a prepatched one. I am also going to add the Sketch glitch patch to all versions in my next revision in addition to ironing out a line or two as previously discussed in the topic.

edit - I've updated the line about the Returners and I've also added the Sketch bugfix to all versions. Version 1.86 has been submitted for approval.

July 09, 2016, 01:00:17 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
1.86 has been approved and is now the current version.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:00:17 am by Rodimus Primal »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.86)
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2016, 06:53:58 pm »
Yo!  I did a little experiment in an effort to dodge the death casting Hell Rider (because while I think it's pretty neat, I didn't really want to swallow that today).  After copypasting a script from a clean ROM over the script in TWU, it actually appears to be a one-byte fix: at 0F8BFE change that byte to FD.  If anyone else can tell me if it works out perfectly that'd be great, but I'm 99% sure I nailed it.

Here's that one byte in patch form for those who really don't want to touch a hex editor for only that: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nh5hoon0bh57za4/Hell+Rider+Fix.ips

Rodimus, if this works out and you'd like to use it, go ahead I don't mind.

EDIT: Whoops, missed a B in the address.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2016, 07:37:43 pm »
So is this the change that FF3USME makes when you use it? Interesting. Some think its a bugfix.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2016, 08:13:37 pm »
So is this the change that FF3USME makes when you use it? Interesting. Some think its a bugfix.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's about it plus the Mag Roader patch.  I thought it would be more drastic, but it appears to basically change the part of the battle script of Hell Rider to say cast Death at the line directly after attacking and that's it.  I think this may be more of an easy testing base to make sure changes to the battle scripts are working or whatever, because I'm pretty sure it's not a global thing.  But that's my opinion.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2016, 09:37:26 pm »
Well the MagRoader fix is a little more complicated but I want to be sure that this issue isn't caused by anything directly FF3USME related.

September 16, 2016, 11:12:52 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Looking into it, I didn't run into Hell Rider casting Death at all. In fact, what he does is cast Reverse Polarity as one of his attacks and uses Silverpike in response to a successful Steal/Mug. It's possible that maybe the ROM you are using may have been corrupted for that battle script for whatever reason. I also looked at his battle script in FF3USME and he is following exactly what is described.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:12:52 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2016, 10:43:11 am »
Looking into it, I didn't run into Hell Rider casting Death at all. In fact, what he does is cast Reverse Polarity as one of his attacks and uses Silverpike in response to a successful Steal/Mug. It's possible that maybe the ROM you are using may have been corrupted for that battle script for whatever reason. I also looked at his battle script in FF3USME and he is following exactly what is described.
Huh.  I've triple checked the checksums, they match and it doesn't appear to be an artifact of a bad dump or corruption.  Looking at the patch in IPSPeek (I am using bugfixes+updated opera, and encountered this first before the opera patches were made, so it could be just a bugfix patch problem), it does indeed alter the code at around that area including the byte mentioned.  Therefore also the script is changed.

EDIT: To go more into detail about what I mean, here's what the script looks like within the tool when freshly patched after exporting:
F0 EE EE EF    ; Rand. spell: Battle or Battle or Special
0D             ; <MB>Death
F0 EE EE FE    ; Rand. spell: Battle or Battle or Nothing
FD             ; Wait until the attack sequence is called upon again, then continue (reset targeting)
FD             ; Wait until the attack sequence is called upon again, then continue (reset targeting)
F0 EE EE A5    ; Rand. spell: Battle or Battle or Virite
FF             ; End first wave of attack
FC 01 05 06    ; If monster has been attacked by cmd: Steal or Mug, will target attacker
F1 45          ; Targeting: last ally/monster who attacked (random ally if N/A)
EF             ; Special
FE             ; End If and reset targeting
FC 01 00 00    ; If monster has been attacked by cmd: Attack or Attack, will target attacker
F0 C9 FE FE    ; Rand. spell: R.Polarity or Nothing or Nothing
FF             ; End

And here's after the fix/original script:
F0 EE EE EF    ; Rand. spell: Battle or Battle or Special
F0 EE EE A5    ; Rand. spell: Battle or Battle or Virite
FF             ; End first wave of attack
FC 01 05 06    ; If monster has been attacked by cmd: Steal or Mug, will target attacker
F1 45          ; Targeting: last ally/monster who attacked (random ally if N/A)
EF             ; Special
FE             ; End If and reset targeting
FC 01 00 00    ; If monster has been attacked by cmd: Attack or Attack, will target attacker
F0 C9 FE FE    ; Rand. spell: R.Polarity or Nothing or Nothing
FF             ; End

Observe the second line, it's the only different part represented by the byte that ended up changed.  FD and 0D still serve the same purpose to all other monsters, so this only effects that one script and leaves everything else alone.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:09:31 pm by Chronosplit »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.87)
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2016, 04:13:07 pm »
You're right when looking at it in Hex. I playtested facing the Hell Rider earlier and didn't run into him casting death using the same ROM. But looking at it in Hex, the OD is there. And that one byte would affect only that script. I'm going to apply it to all patches and make an update.

Thanks for this Chronosplit!

September 18, 2016, 12:53:12 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So here's the scoop after a little digging. It would seem that this is only within the bug fix versions. So the vanilla FFVI TWUE patches do not have that one byte difference. So I changed it on them both I've made the update.

Version 1.87 has been approved! Both bug fix patches now have the corrected Hell Rider Script and Chronosplit is added to the credits!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:56:35 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2016, 04:07:13 pm »
No problem, I'm just glad to help out!

Another extremely minor thing I found: on the Phantom Train, Siegfried calls Sabin an ox.  On the first line when he's called an ox it's capitalized, the other (the ox bellows!) isn't.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2016, 10:52:39 pm »
Interesting. An oversight I'll have to fix on the next release. There were two bug fixes recently released by Leet Sketcher, aka 13375K37CH3R that Digitsie suggested I add to the project. One is Shadow's status and the other is Gerard and Sabin. I like a lot of his bug fixes but I'm wondering if I should include them or not maybe in the bugfix version. I asked him for permission to include them and he has not yet responded.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2016, 01:17:18 am »
Gerard and Sabin should be added in at least.  I didn't realize this patch existed.  Either way I'd put this one under restored content that was completely meant to be there, at the same priority as uncensoring.  Especially if you decapitalized names for it already.  But that's just me.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:31:26 pm by Chronosplit »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2016, 10:44:52 am »
I'd say anything that basically fixes plot inconsistencies should be added, especially if the content was already present and not triggered.

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2016, 07:14:19 pm »
Gerad and Sabin should definitely go in. It goes along the idea of restoring content.

As for the rest of LeetSketcher's bugfix patches, they should go in the bugfix version given they don't interfere with any other fix. But knowing the author, he usually make sure his fixes do not interfere with existing one from those who fix bugs as well.