News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.09.2)  (Read 295575 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.98)
« Reply #540 on: January 27, 2018, 12:37:14 pm »
Speaking of which, I've just now pinpointed the issue with SwdTech Naming and this patch, it's related to the ability name hack but it isn't due to using the unoptomized version.  The patch appears to mess with the pointers to the names, making them gibberish because it's pointing to data that is now elsewhere in the ROM.  We were talking about throwing it in earlier, so I thought I'd take a look.

The way to go around this is to patch the ability names on top of it as that just shifts pointers back, but I can make a patch that fixes this issue since the data conflict is only a few bytes and I can simply compare.  Either way SwdTech Naming would make older saves a small issue though (they wouldn't be broken and everything retains function), so your call.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:02:27 pm by Chronosplit »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 27, 2018, 01:10:21 pm »
Speaking of which, I've just now pinpointed the issue with SwdTech Naming and this patch, it's related to the ability name hack but it isn't due to using the unoptomized version.  The patch appears to mess with the pointers to the names, making them gibberish because it's pointing to data that is now elsewhere in the ROM.

The way to go around this is to patch the restoration on top of it, but I can make a patch that fixes this issue since the data conflict is only a few bytes.  Either way SwdTech Naming would make older saves a small issue though (they wouldn't be broken and everything retains function), so your call.

Interesting. I'm curious if it conflicts with anything else, including the Music Player. It's one of the reasons I've though of but decided against a complete rebuild from the ground up. The thing is, I do believe I've already named Cyan's Bushido (SwdTech) attacks their modern names in the original place so I wonder if it won't cause an issue with old save files.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 27, 2018, 01:41:52 pm »
I've checked with Addons and the other main patches, everything checks out.  I haven't with mplayer configs though.  You should probably read up on the patch though and how it affects saves.

Okay, here's an attempt at version 2 (fixed screen) with sound patch, non-headered with corrected stuff for TWUE: https://mega.nz/#!HRsCHBSZ!pEFsiXuhZPmotEMPIcvU_ridaZGD-csQVoKeNeU4SmA
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:48:27 pm by Chronosplit »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 27, 2018, 02:22:00 pm »
I've checked with Addons and the other main patches, everything checks out.  I haven't with mplayer configs though.  You should probably read up on the patch though and how it affects saves.

Okay, here's an attempt at version 2 (fixed screen) with sound patch, non-headered with corrected stuff for TWUE: https://mega.nz/#!HRsCHBSZ!pEFsiXuhZPmotEMPIcvU_ridaZGD-csQVoKeNeU4SmA

I'll give this a test once I finish with my current changes.

January 31, 2018, 05:28:44 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So, I've finished with my changes so far. I tested the SwdTech Renaming you sent me and it doesn't seem to work. I tried renaming them and the names do not seem to take. I think I'm going to skip this one in perticular unless it can be modified to work. I am, however, going to test Y Equip Relics for the Add-Ons.

Is there any other bug fixes or add-ons that stay in scope of the Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition's purpose that would be beneficial for me to add? If so, give me a list before I compile the next release.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:28:44 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 01, 2018, 08:05:05 pm »
Alright, I've done some working at this.  I don't really think renaming Bushido names is going to work out at all.  The reset patch doesn't help.

Somehow this isn't working out with existing saves and I haven't been through for a new save yet.  Which is weird (I mean, nothing whatsoever is conflicting now), but I don't really think breaking saves is a good idea in this case.  I'll have to do a bit more looking into the situation but the prediction is grim if you ask me.  Ah well, we have the corrected ones anyway.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 02, 2018, 04:54:21 pm »
I've finally done it.  I've created a "greatest hits" for patching with everything including the add ons version.  Pastebin approved as far as I can tell.  Update as you wish Rodimus.  Submitted for your approval:

1. Apply TWUE with addons, any config.  This should work with the sound player as well.
2. Apply Header.
-Vanish/Doom Fix
-Rage Patch (Optional, TWUE already has the Death Warden part.)
-Psycho Cyan
-Jump Megafix (Either version, but remember the letter.)
-Pincer+Row Fix
-Randomosity Random Monster Encounter Fix (This, jump megafix, and the zombie related patches are probably your most wanted as they fix the worst parts.)
-Miscolored Command Names (Mostly cosmetic.  Both work, but equipment based is recommended.)

3. Remove Header
-Zombie/Tapir (Any version.)
-Zombie/Rippler (Any version.)
-Ultimate Damage Fix
-Walk This Way
-Imp's Retort (Remember to keep an eye out for the Jump Megafix compatible ones, also you really want to use this if you used Psycho Cyan.)
-Imp's Rage
-Imp's Call
-Imp Skimp (Cosmetic)
-Self Sneeze
-Item/Magic Counter
-Unequipium (Mostly cosmetic but really annoying)
-Upside Down (Cosmetic)
-Chain of Command (Mostly cosmetic.  Remember to keep an eye out for the Miscolored Command Name related patches.)
-Mini-Maps Upgrade

Patches like Swdtech speedup are untested (someone might've done the latter though as it's popular).

Okay. So Vanish/Doom is an exploit fix and the main reason I WON'T add it. I think this over anything else has been my main reason I have been so conservative about what bugfixes to add in. Same with Psycho Cyan and anything relevant to that glitch. It's one of those bugs that is as infamous as Woolsey's quotes from this game.

I'm curious about Randomosity. Is it really something that needs to be fixed? I can add to the bugfixes if it really is important.

I am going to add these to bugfixes for sure -
-Rage (Adds the other two missing Rages)
-Jump Megafix (although I've been skeptical of this one for a while and not sure which letter)
-Pincer+Row
-Miscolored Command Names
-Zombie/Tapir
-Zombie/Rippler
-Imp's Rage
-Imp's Call
-Imp Skimp
-Item/Magic Counter
-Unequipium
-Upside Down
-Chain of Command
-Banon Riding
-Castle Party (this one is SO annoying)
-False Knight

I'm on the fence about these:
-Auto Swordless Runic
-Brushless Sketch
-Vanish Runic
-King's Robes
-Backwards Jump (on the fence because I already have Frozen Popsicle/ Lead-footed Esper applied)

I am adding these to the add-ons too:
-Y Equip Relics
-Mini Maps Upgrade

Alright, I've done some working at this.  I don't really think renaming Bushido names is going to work out at all.  The reset patch doesn't help.

Somehow this isn't working out with existing saves and I haven't been through for a new save yet.  Which is weird (I mean, nothing whatsoever is conflicting now), but I don't really think breaking saves is a good idea in this case.  I'll have to do a bit more looking into the situation but the prediction is grim if you ask me.  Ah well, we have the corrected ones anyway.

Yeah, SwdTech Renaming is currently incompatible with TWUE. If code could be modified to work with it, I would add it in without question.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:21:52 pm by Rodimus Primal »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 02, 2018, 07:25:14 pm »
I'd suggest leaving Vanish/Doom, Psycho Cyan, and Imp's Retort out for TWUE's specific purposes.  If someone wants to put the patches on it's fair game.  Though you should mention which letter of Jump Megafix you have used for Imp's Retort's sake (no real issue here, just to figure out what patch to use), as far as which letter to use on Jump Megafix I'd say take your pick.

Another suggestion for your consideration I just found out about could be the Color Wheel tweak for addons, basically it cycles through visual status effects instead of showing just one.  It's small but handy.

I remember that Brushless Sketch clashes with... something, but I don't remember it off the top of my head.  I'm thinking it's not a big deal with TWUE.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:42:18 pm by Chronosplit »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 02, 2018, 07:56:10 pm »
I'd suggest leaving Vanish/Doom, Psycho Cyan, and Imp's Retort out for TWUE's specific purposes.  If someone wants to put the patches on it's fair game.  Though you should mention which letter of Jump Megafix you have used for Imp's Retort's sake (no real issue here, just to figure out what patch to use), as far as which letter to use on Jump Megafix I'd say take your pick.

Another suggestion for your consideration I just found out about could be the Color Wheel tweak for addons, basically it cycles through visual status effects instead of showing just one.  It's small but handy.

I remember that Brushless Sketch clashes with... something, but I don't remember it off the top of my head.  I'm thinking it's not a big deal with TWUE.

From what I've read, you have to add Auto Swordless Runic first, then Brusheless Sketch and both have to be added in before you add in Miscolored Command Names. This is only a big deal if you use the White patch and not the Equipment patch, but I still followed this order, just to be sure. I'm also going to add Sketching Mime, since that is a logical because of the Brushless Sketch fix.

I've got a list of choice patches from the massive list from Leet Sketcher. They all make sense to fix because in many cases they are even fixed in the GBA version. Morph Mayhem, Magitek Madness, Ultimate Damage, Lens Cap, and Map Mishap seem to make sense to add in addition to what I've got listed.

For those who don't want ANY of these fixes, I'm still going to include the non-bugfix versions.

EDIT- Okay. NOT adding Brushless Sketch. Since it's known to conflict with other patces, I'd rather not chance it.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 02, 2018, 08:01:32 pm »
IIRC Map Mishap made some big issues happen with TWUE last time I had tried it.  However there may have been an updated that addressed this since then, I tested with 1.0 I think.

I agree with everything else mentioned though!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:07:13 pm by Chronosplit »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 02, 2018, 08:27:18 pm »
IIRC Map Mishap made some big issues happen last time I had tried it.  However there may have been an updated that addressed this since then, I tested with 1.0 I think.

I agree with everything else mentioned though!  :thumbsup:

I'll back off on that one then. Along with Brushless Sketch, then no to Sketching Mime then too. However, yes to the rest so far.

Bridge Correction and Wrong Way Idiot I think are good small fixes as well.

EDIT- And with that I think I am close to getting close to releasing this. With all of the major changes, Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition 2.0 will be well worth the wait. I just want to do a few tests and cleanup of the readmes.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:53:58 pm by Rodimus Primal »

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #550 on: February 03, 2018, 02:39:46 pm »
it'd be more apt to say that the other patch(es) (whatever they are) conflict with Brushless Sketch, since it was released eons earlier. :P

if it's a free space conflict, should be easy to tweak a patch to point elsewhere.  if not, well.. i'll have to refresh myself whenever Slick goes back up, as there's a chance it was discussed there.

there is also a minor bug in Brushless Sketch, discovered a handful of months ago, where i forgot to adjust something for a function move, so a command would be available on the menu when it shouldn't be.  a very simple fix for it was posted on Slick (of course).

i'll eventually make a version of the patch that adds a special item flag as opposed to reading the icon from the spell name to ascertain whether a hand holds a brush.  this is what Pandora's Box did when adopting my patch.  it should cease requiring free space, and edit less in general.  also, whenever i next update the patch (e.g. to fix said bug), i'll scrap the silly edit that requires Miscolored Command Names to be applied later (though i see you already know the proper order).

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 03, 2018, 04:16:41 pm »
it'd be more apt to say that the other patch(es) (whatever they are) conflict with Brushless Sketch, since it was released eons earlier. :P

if it's a free space conflict, should be easy to tweak a patch to point elsewhere.  if not, well.. i'll have to refresh myself whenever Slick goes back up, as there's a chance it was discussed there.

there is also a minor bug in Brushless Sketch, discovered a handful of months ago, where i forgot to adjust something for a function move, so a command would be available on the menu when it shouldn't be.  a very simple fix for it was posted on Slick (of course).

i'll eventually make a version of the patch that adds a special item flag as opposed to reading the icon from the spell name to ascertain whether a hand holds a brush.  this is what Pandora's Box did when adopting my patch.  it should cease requiring free space, and edit less in general.  also, whenever i next update the patch (e.g. to fix said bug), i'll scrap the silly edit that requires Miscolored Command Names to be applied later (though i see you already know the proper order).

Thanks. Although I have to wonder, was this a bug that was fixed in the GBA version or did they neglect to fix it. Personally, I don't see a need to fix it if it is the later, however it would be good to know.

It would seem that when I added in the long list of bugfixes, I messed something up and I cannot quite figure out WHERE I screwed up since there were so many. It seems to go into a completely scrambled screen when I enter a battle with Magitek Armor, which leads me to believe it was Magitek Madness. When I applied the reverse patch for that, the music and background loaded, but the sprites did not and I was frozen. .

I have the NON bugfix versions working perfectly, and I didn't back up my progress on the bug fix patches (since the game does load I thought it was working). So I am going to have to literally rebuild the bugfix versions from scratch. Well not literally scratch. I am going to have the begin the task of applying everything over again, which I don't mind doing, but I will have to be extra careful this time around. Speaking of which, I've been thinking. I've been distributing this as 6 patches for the users choice, but so many get confused even though I specifically state what each patch does. Would it be more beneficial to make a patch for each additional thing. So a vanilla patch, an updated Opera patch, a long list of bugfixes patch, and an Add-Ons patch? Or would it be better just to do it the same way I've been?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 03, 2018, 04:38:17 pm »
According to the FF Wiki, Gogo still uses the same weapons in mobile.  It doesn't look like Brushless Sketch was attended to in any version, though I haven't attempted this on GBA either.

EDIT: As for patches, I switched to a one-patch format partially due to simplicity.  People were really really confused when it came to multiple patches and ordering, just going "apply the BPS you want with everything on it" was by far the best way to fix this issue (note: I don't think self-contained BPS patches are the way to go with TWUE due to the music player optional things).  I'd go either way on this though, I dunno what anyone else feels about this.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 05:04:15 pm by Chronosplit »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 03, 2018, 04:48:00 pm »
I like the way it is now, there's two patches I look for and care about, "regular" and "with bugfixes", the rest I just ignore.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 03, 2018, 08:41:23 pm »
I like the way it is now, there's two patches I look for and care about, "regular" and "with bugfixes", the rest I just ignore.

I will say the Add-Ons are very well worth having applied. The Blitz screen is easier to understand, you now know what you're betting for in the Colosseum, the Mini Maps look awesome upgrade, and the Relics now having the same functions as the rest makes it MUCH easier to navigate.

The Opera change is a matter of choice. I like both versions of the lyrics and think that giving people that option has been a major plus IMO. Personally, I go for the updated version. Also, the guys making the MSU-1 upgrade for this game are intentionally making it compatible with TWUE with the updated opera AND Music Player so that the real opera music and lyrics can be used. It will sound epic once completed.

I think I'm just going to stick with the way it is for now. You have the choice of what you like, however I'm going to have to REALLY make it clearer in the Read Me. I want people to enjoy this as they have been without hassle.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 04, 2018, 02:35:22 am »
...so that the real opera music and lyrics can be used. It will sound epic once completed.
This part is already complete.

From dozens of run-throughs and tests of the various parts of it, I'm pretty sure that no more changes will need to be made to the audio files for the Opera (barring any slight adjustments that will be needed with the changes to the one part in the upcoming update of TWUE).

Just be sure you have the "OTH" option for the Opera selected in the Dancing Mad installer for the voiced version.

The version used is the one released by "Game Music Concert 4" (yea, real original name); if you'd like to have a different version of the opera, I've converted most of them already, just send me a PM and I'll send you the files to hear your desired version in-game (I've got them all timed properly, so it's really down to a matter of choice, I personally really like The Black Mages' version).

OH! There is one slight thing in the Opera that you might look into:
(note the video is old, the current music is timed MUCH better)
https://youtu.be/tgCZOtc4mm8?t=380
This line: "For your tenderness and grace."
The progression of text pauses slightly in the middle of 'tenderness', right after the 'ten', before progressing with the rest of the word.

The problem I see, is that it doesn't display "ten" while paused, it displays "ter", because some of the pixels of the 'n' are cut off.

Not really a major issue, but it's a bit jarring every time I see it.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 04, 2018, 05:33:05 am »
when i retimed the opera, i made sure that problem wasnt there :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 04, 2018, 09:34:21 am »
I've taken a look at Map Mishap.  Perhaps unsurprisingly for a map based patch, TWUE overwrites almost the entire patch and I'm unsure if simply moving it somewhere else would fix it.  I've found that other event fixes like Cave to the Sealed Gate Basement 3 Event Megafix and Multiple Events Fix will work, however.

Last minute thought; I didn't think of this due to Multi-Steal fix being out, but what about Recapture the Glory?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:10:20 am by Chronosplit »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 04, 2018, 12:10:05 pm »
however I'm going to have to REALLY make it clearer in the Read Me. I want people to enjoy this as they have been without hassle.

I think it would help that in your Readme file you actually give a short descriptions to each of those hacks that are used to better explain what they do, maybe link to their respective RHDN page or author page/whatever, go the 10 miles with it and have links to an imgur picture or something that shows the before/after changes.

Not all of them need explanations I guess, because some are pretty self explanatory, like "-B Button Dash (Master Zed)", but I have no idea what 80% of them do, "Blitz Screen (Leet Sketcher) ***" No idea...

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 04, 2018, 12:58:29 pm »
This part is already complete.

From dozens of run-throughs and tests of the various parts of it, I'm pretty sure that no more changes will need to be made to the audio files for the Opera (barring any slight adjustments that will be needed with the changes to the one part in the upcoming update of TWUE).

Just be sure you have the "OTH" option for the Opera selected in the Dancing Mad installer for the voiced version.

The version used is the one released by "Game Music Concert 4" (yea, real original name); if you'd like to have a different version of the opera, I've converted most of them already, just send me a PM and I'll send you the files to hear your desired version in-game (I've got them all timed properly, so it's really down to a matter of choice, I personally really like The Black Mages' version).

OH! There is one slight thing in the Opera that you might look into:
(note the video is old, the current music is timed MUCH better)
https://youtu.be/tgCZOtc4mm8?t=380
This line: "For your tenderness and grace."
The progression of text pauses slightly in the middle of 'tenderness', right after the 'ten', before progressing with the rest of the word.

The problem I see, is that it doesn't display "ten" while paused, it displays "ter", because some of the pixels of the 'n' are cut off.

Not really a major issue, but it's a bit jarring every time I see it.

That's been fixed in my next update. Thanks vivify93 and Spooniest!

I've taken a look at Map Mishap.  Perhaps unsurprisingly for a map based patch, TWUE overwrites almost the entire patch and I'm unsure if simply moving it somewhere else would fix it.  I've found that other event fixes like Cave to the Sealed Gate Basement 3 Event Megafix and Multiple Events Fix will work, however.

Last minute thought; I didn't think of this due to Multi-Steal fix being out, but what about Recapture the Glory?

I've been on the fence about Recapture the Glory, but it does seem like a worthy fix since those 21 weapons not having their abilities during Capture/Mug are strange. Still, it isn't fixed in later versions of FFVI.

Currently I am painstakingly testing EACH bugfix I have applied from Leet Sketcher. I know now he no longer uses free space to accomplish them, but I don't want to apply them only for them to break. I also ensured that Gerard and Sabin NOW uses the new version that doesn't use free space. I am hoping that this fixes compatibility with FF3USME because, while I feel that the next version SHOULD be the final version, I don't want to be forced to keep re-reverse then re-apply them each time I make an edit.