News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.01)  (Read 144030 times)

Dex

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.8)
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2015, 07:25:33 pm »
I had to create an account just to say "thanks" for this.

Earlier today I was looking to play FFVI again and trying to decide which version I wanted to play. After reading a lot about the version differences and translation differences, I decided that the best version for me would be the SNES version for the performance and English translation but with some of the text corrections from FFVIa brought in (where they didn't mess up the text I knew and loved so much from the original) but without the censoring. Many hours later I found this, which appears to be exactly what I wanted. I had to create an account to share my enthusiasm and say thanks for working on this these past few years and continuing to work on it, in the hopes that it would invigorate you and give you some measure of payoff. FFVI has always been my favorite RPG and this version, thanks to its minor changes (enhancements) seems like the perfect (base) version for me.

Also thanks to the others that have posted some confirmations on which patches work with this version. I'm thinking I might try some of them this time around (I've always played the original cartridges or CDs before, so I haven't tried a version with bug fixes; but then again, I can't recall taking advantage of or encountering these bugs either).

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2015, 11:25:41 am »
I had to create an account just to say "thanks" for this.

Earlier today I was looking to play FFVI again and trying to decide which version I wanted to play. After reading a lot about the version differences and translation differences, I decided that the best version for me would be the SNES version for the performance and English translation but with some of the text corrections from FFVIa brought in (where they didn't mess up the text I knew and loved so much from the original) but without the censoring. Many hours later I found this, which appears to be exactly what I wanted. I had to create an account to share my enthusiasm and say thanks for working on this these past few years and continuing to work on it, in the hopes that it would invigorate you and give you some measure of payoff. FFVI has always been my favorite RPG and this version, thanks to its minor changes (enhancements) seems like the perfect (base) version for me.

Also thanks to the others that have posted some confirmations on which patches work with this version. I'm thinking I might try some of them this time around (I've always played the original cartridges or CDs before, so I haven't tried a version with bug fixes; but then again, I can't recall taking advantage of or encountering these bugs either).

Thanks for the feedback Dex.  I'm glad to hear you and many other enjoy the work done.

MightyNumber9

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2016, 01:30:13 pm »
Just created this account to give my thanks to you for doing a wonderful job and also happy new year :)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 01, 2016, 05:31:48 pm »
Just created this account to give my thanks to you for doing a wonderful job and also happy new year :)

Happy New year to you too. Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 02, 2016, 04:26:31 am »
I'd honestly play it if I hadn't recently played 2 other versions of the game (SNES and PC). I just beat the SNES version and I'm almost done with PC.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2016, 12:10:13 pm »
I'd honestly play it if I hadn't already made my own touched up version  :thumbsup:
But this is great for those who don't want to do all that work themselves. Your Namingway Edition of IV is the one that's nestled snugly within my hard drive and that one's top notch.

arcath

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2016, 03:20:43 am »
I wanted to thank you. I was trying to decide which versions to use and I decided on running through your versions of FF4 and FF6.

Thanks for the hard work!

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2016, 10:45:50 am »
There's still a small issue in the Ultima Weapon monologue at the floating continent where it automatically quickly skips one or two lines.
I don't know if there's more issues like that after that plot point, though.

Should be quick & simple to fix.

By the way, I'll seize this opportunity to say that this is the best FF6 english version for the Super Famicom.
Whenever I want to play old FF6 in english, this is what delivers the best experience. :thumbsup:

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2016, 12:05:16 pm »
Apologies if this has been asked already, but would it be feasible to fix the opera scene with the Slattery translation since it actually matches up with the song, unlike Woolsey's? Maybe this has been fixed already and I just have an old version of the patch.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2016, 01:46:28 pm »
One way or another I recommend that you always use the current version. I think that was fixed but it's been a while since I looked at the Opera scene.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2016, 02:35:03 pm »
Patched 1.8 (with bugfixes) and checked, opera scene is still Woolsey's translation. I can drop my save file here if you want to check for yourself.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2016, 06:22:48 pm »
That's right I remember now. I kept it the same for the Opera for nostalgia's sake, but I'm going to need to look at both versions before making any further changes to it. If you have a save file at that point, PM it to me and I'll look into changing it.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2016, 06:41:56 pm »
If you want to, you can copy my homework. This is from Stand Guard, the Slattery Lyrics to the Aria.

I did delete a pixel's worth of space from every character in the font to make this work; I didn't alter the font, just narrowed the space between letters, as it were. For this reason, my text may not fit in your version of FF6...but I thought it'd be helpful to you to have a template to work from. The Opera Scene is a bitch.

As you probably know, the ampersands are the music notes.

Spoiler:
CAPTION 1209

&  Oh <E$03>my <E$04>hero, <E$09>
   My beloved. <E$0C><OP$12>
   Shall we still be <E$0A>made to part, & <E$10><OP$12><EOP>
&  Though promises of <E$0D>
   Perennial love <E$0C><OP$12><EOP>
   Yet sing here in my heart? & <E$08><OP$12>
   <C>(I wish I_)
   <C>(I'm the darkness) <D14>

CAPTION 1212

&  I'm the darkness, <E$0E>
   You're the starlight. <E$0B><OP$12>
   Shining brightly <E$08>from afar. & <E$11><OP$12><EOP>
&  Through hours of despair, <E$0A>
   I offer this prayer <E$0C><OP$12><EOP>
   To you, my evening star. & <E$08><OP$12>
   <C>(Must my_)
   <C>(Prince Ralse_) <D8>

CAPTION 1214

&  Must my final <E$0A>
   Vows exchanged <E$0B><OP$12>
   Be with him <E$09>and not with you? & <E$10><OP$12><EOP>
&  Were you only here <E$0A>
   To quiet my fear. <E$0C><OP$12>
   O, Speak! <E$06>Guide me <E$03>anew! & <E$10><OP$12>

CAPTION 1217

&  I am thankful, <E$0A>
   My beloved, <E$0C><OP$12>
   For your ten<E$08>derness
   and grace. & <E$11><OP$12><EOP>
&  I see in your eyes, <E$0A>
   So gentle and wise, <E$0C><OP$12>
   All doubts and fears
   erased_ & <E$13><OP$12>

CAPTION 1218

&  Though the hours <E$0A>
   Take no notice <E$0B><OP$12>
   Of what fate <E$09>might
   have in <E$06>store, & <E$0A><OP$12><EOP>
&  Our love, come what may, <E$0C>
   Will ne'er age a day, <E$0C><OP$12>
   I'll wait for<E$07>ever<E$04>more! & <E$0C><OP$12>

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2016, 07:41:43 pm »
Mmm.. good to know. I already changed the font to not have the extra space in between as well so that there was more room for the script changes. The Opera scene is a pain and the lines for the note that Celes reads in the dressing room have to be changed as well .

Looking at the lines it looks like Slattery made a compromise in places while keeping closer to the Japanese for the Aria. I'm still a little torn and I'd like some feedback.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2016, 08:35:14 pm »
Personally I much prefer Slattery's translation since, as I mentioned, it actually matches up with the song. That probably goes without saying though, since I brought it up in the first place.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:32 pm »
I'm leaning more in that direction, but I know the Opera scene is very touchy to a LOT of fans...

I'm also thinking of making the change an add-on, or an option. Keep the lyrics the same for what's already there, but add a version with the new lyrics in the package. It would keep the consistency...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:01:27 am by Rodimus Primal »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2016, 02:05:26 am »
What's the point of calling it the Woolsey Uncensored Edition if you're not doing it as a "Woolsey", though?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2016, 06:17:41 am »
What's the point of calling it the Woolsey Uncensored Edition if you're not doing it as a "Woolsey", though?

That's the main reason I am reluctant to change it. If I do and there's enough people who want the new lyrics I'll release it as an extra but not the main version.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 19, 2016, 10:01:32 am »
The way I see it, if people are THAT touchy, they can always move their save over and play through that part of the game on the original. Not trying to be mean or anything, just my two cents.

Another patch does solve the problem in the best way, but that's another patch you'll have to deal with.

The only other thing I can think of is to do something of a compromise, like keep Woolsey's but tweak the lyrics slightly so they match the song. I'd personally be okay with that, though I don't know about anyone else.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2016, 10:16:02 am »
I think if Ted Woolsey weighed in on this, he'd be all for making the exception of the Slattery lyrics to the opera.

I'm not sure but I'd wager a guess that he'd be mortified to have such terrible lyrics out there.

But the mans a translator, not a lyricist. Being a lyricist, I know this to be true.