News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.06)  (Read 209712 times)

Digitsie

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2015, 07:15:31 pm »
Fixing Curley to Curley. I think the humor is lost with the GBA names in favor of the Woolsey names for the stooges.

Want to check that Curley thing again? :D

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2015, 07:36:36 pm »
 :o Sorry. I tend to respond to posts at work and do the fixes at home, so I'm usually rushed when I respond, that and my autocorrect can be a real PAIN! Curly indeed.

As for the  "A 1000 years ago in the past..." line I found it and corrected it to "A thousand years..."
It was a leftover from Woolsey's original script.

April 04, 2015, 01:47:35 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm working to set a release for 1.7 for Easter so I'll be going through some stuff tomorrow to prepare for the update. Anything else you find, please don't hesitate to tell me.

I have released version 1.7. I hope with all the fixes that I can call this project complete! Happy Easter everyone!  :woot!:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:21:54 pm by Rodimus Primal »

katanasoul

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2015, 08:39:25 pm »
Hi guys,

Nice to meet you all. Firstly I would like to congratulate Rodimus and his contributors for this awesome tribute to a masterpiece game such as Final Fantasy VI  :thumbsup:.
It's been a long time since I have looked into rom hacking patches such as these but now that I want to play it again it seems for me that this version is the most amazing.

If I didn't understand it wrong, the only things that could not be included are the extras of the GBA version, the four espers and the two new dungeons, due to the rom size limit I believe, right?
I also have some questions that I would like to ask to this great community:

1) Which is the best emulator to use in order to obtain the best graphic display of the game? Please provide your configurations (resolution, filters, etc).
2) Can I use other patches above Rodimus? Patches like New Game + and Controllable Rage by Master ZED for example.
3) Do you guys know if there is another patch that implemented the new game + feature? I am asking because the patch from Master ZED isn't working with higan (bsnes) and I also would like to save after beating Kefka so that I could keep the stolen Atma Weapon and Ragnarok at my save,  :).
4) Rodimus, have you seen the fixes showed here? http://www14.brinkster.com/assassin17/patches.htm . I believe you have some of them on your fixes. If you have the time can you tell us if some of these that are related to game issues are recomended?

Thanks a lot for your time and attention.
My best regards,

Katana Soul

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2015, 11:20:46 pm »
Thanks and welcome katanasoul. You're right that the GBA stuff was not included. From what I've gathered its a space issue.

1) I use Snes9x personally. I find that Higan is too restrictive and I can't stand the forced library setup. I don't use any special filters or the like. I prefer the pixels as is and I maintain aspect ratio.
2) There's no reason they shouldn't work but I've not tested them. Let me know how you make out with them.
3)I'm not aware of one. Sorry.
4) I did use that list to implement fixes that were glaring bugs. Some things I didn't want to alter the gameplay so much that it didn't feel like the game we grew up with.

katanasoul

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2015, 12:24:30 am »
Thanks for the quick reply Rodimus. Unfortunately I can't get the new game + patch to work  :'(. It crashes before the initial screen.
The others I have tried didn't crash the rom but I will need to play the game to be sure that they did not screwed anything.
If you have any clue why it didn't work I will appreciate your help because maybe I am doing something wrong. I used Lunar IPS to add the patches.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2015, 12:38:51 am »
Master Zed's patches IIRC require a header before patching. You could try adding one before adding his patch.

katanasoul

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2015, 01:38:18 am »
You are the man Rodimus. It worked  :thumbsup:. My big thank you for you  :woot!:.
Now let's have fun  ;) .

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2015, 08:16:17 am »
Cool. Let me know if there are any errors in compatibility now that you've added that patch. While its not something that I want to implement into the game, it would be cool to know.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Been a while since I updated, and kept quiet about it but the item descriptions are now extended with version 1.8.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Anyone happen to know how this works with the vanish/doom fix?

Edit: AFAIK it's a yes, tried it myself. :P
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:02:33 am by Chronosplit »

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Reading just a bit of this gave me flashbacks. Ughhhhhhhhhb

This game is a freaking beast to work on
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Reading just a bit of this gave me flashbacks. Ughhhhhhhhhb

This game is a freaking beast to work on

Indeed it was. The amount of time and energy it takes to put into this game and you only hope for the best from people's experiences with it.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Feedback on other patches in case if anyone wanted to know: I've tried these, they all work as far as I can tell (after liberal use of Tush, this is important as all of these seem to require a header except for Fancy Walking and Air Anchor) straight from the IPS.

Psycho Cyan fix
Vanish/Doom fix
Fancy Walking
Air Anchor tweak/fix
Genji Glove fix

I won't be adding any more patches, so this is most likely my only feedback on this.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
While i don't have any intention to add those fixes to the project, its good to know. I am also aware that some folks have said this works on actual hardware. Most likely they'd have to fix the Checksum, which is easy enough, but cool nonetheless.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 1.8)
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2015, 06:38:24 pm »
It does indeed appear to work on actual hardware, which is pretty neat. :D

Things have been nice and stable so far, very good.  I found two things though:
1. A nitpick I admit, but I honestly found Edgar's "Get ready" line when talking with Kefka before sinking his castle made more sense in the GBA version, where he says "Get her ready."  It sounds even more like he's trying to keep Kefka questioning until the final moment.

2. Is the Hell Rider in the Narshe battle with Kefka supposed to be casting Death a lot?  I don't remember running into that on the times I played before.  From what I read this is shared by others in it's family (namely the one only available in Advance/Mobile), but not it.  Is this only me?

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2015, 09:09:21 pm »
It's not just you. This is the result of a bugfix that FF3usME performs whenever a user opens the Monster Editor for the first time on an unpatched ROM, or that is my theory.

Stand Guard experienced a similar bug. I chose to think of it as a feature. :)
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2015, 10:27:49 pm »
Alright then!

I found it a pretty fun surprise, really.  It makes the tactics part of the battle a little more interesting because of Gau's undead Rages.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2015, 09:26:06 am »
Well then its an unintended bugfix. There are a couple of things FF3usME does that are in some ways for the better even if unintentional.

Edgar's line works nonetheless. It was simply "Get ready!" in the original SNES script. There were a few lines that when looking at the Woolsey script vs the GBA that were saying the same thing with less original. This was certainly one of them.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2015, 09:34:30 am »
I can think of another good example for script comparisons. If I remember correctly, in the cutscene where you name Sabin, his final line in Woolsey is "Tears...?" which I never fully understood until I saw the GBA line: "Are you... crying?" Both are saying basically the same thing, just the GBA is clearer on the meaning of the sentence.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2015, 06:14:34 pm »
I can think of another good example for script comparisons. If I remember correctly, in the cutscene where you name Sabin, his final line in Woolsey is "Tears...?" which I never fully understood until I saw the GBA line: "Are you... crying?" Both are saying basically the same thing, just the GBA is clearer on the meaning of the sentence.

I actually thought the same thing and changed it to "Are you.. crying?" as well. It was one of those lines that just didn't make sense initially.