News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 3.04)  (Read 423616 times)

odditude

• View Profile
awesome! i'm glad i can contribute in my own way.

In mythology, a bonnacon doesn't spray vomit, but acidic feces!
one day there will be a troll patch that renames the attack "Acid Shart"

there are inconsistencies in how ellipses (…) are presented. sometimes there's a space before the following word, sometimes not. in my opinion, an ellipsis should always be followed by a space UNLESS it's at the beginning of a standalone line.

this might have been a misread on my part, because i accidentally mashed past this page during the Floating Continent approach - but if i DID read it correctly as it flew by, there's an "is" missing.
"Mr. Typhon taciturn,
…but terribly powerful!"

two things during the cutscene with Kefka on the Floating Continent:
after Kefka gets stabbed, there's a few pages of HATE YOU and then a final page with a centered "HATE YOU!" - i don't recall there being any other text so far that got special positioning, so the presentation is jarring. i do understand the intent, and it's definitely a subjective opinion, but... i'd have it positioned normally by itself on that page.

later in the same scene, there's a comma missing on one page.
"Do it now gods!" -> "Do it now, gods!"

during the scenes during the first visit to Mobliz in the WoR:
"Terra: That is I... um... I've lost my will to fight..."
there should be an ellipsis or comma after "That is"

i'll be picking up from WoR Nikeah next time.

aml435

• View Profile
Any chance of this eventually being compatible with the Divergent Paths hack?
Right now, this is my go-to version of the game, but the additions in Divergent Paths seem really great.
It'd be nice to one day have the best of both worlds.

AdamDravian

• View Profile

I would think that would be something the creator of Divergent Paths would have to do, the re-work Divergent Paths to be built off of Uncensored Edition. But that would be a huge undertaking, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Right now, this is my go-to version of the game, but the additions in Divergent Paths seem really great.
It'd be nice to one day have the best of both worlds.

Considering Power Panda is cool with the idea, perhaps that MAY be a project to work on once the final script improvements to TWUE are complete. I'd have to check out Divergent Paths first both gameplay and under the hood before tackling anything like it and I'm sure it will be time consuming to say the least.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
awesome! i'm glad i can contribute in my own way.
one day there will be a troll patch that renames the attack "Acid Shart"

there are inconsistencies in how ellipses (…) are presented. sometimes there's a space before the following word, sometimes not. in my opinion, an ellipsis should always be followed by a space UNLESS it's at the beginning of a standalone line.

this might have been a misread on my part, because i accidentally mashed past this page during the Floating Continent approach - but if i DID read it correctly as it flew by, there's an "is" missing.
"Mr. Typhon taciturn,
…but terribly powerful!"

two things during the cutscene with Kefka on the Floating Continent:
after Kefka gets stabbed, there's a few pages of HATE YOU and then a final page with a centered "HATE YOU!" - i don't recall there being any other text so far that got special positioning, so the presentation is jarring. i do understand the intent, and it's definitely a subjective opinion, but... i'd have it positioned normally by itself on that page.

later in the same scene, there's a comma missing on one page.
"Do it now gods!" -> "Do it now, gods!"

during the scenes during the first visit to Mobliz in the WoR:
"Terra: That is I... um... I've lost my will to fight..."
there should be an ellipsis or comma after "That is"

i'll be picking up from WoR Nikeah next time.

Thanks for the extra look at stuff. I've made the necessary changes. I've also corrected a missing word during Cyan's dream sequence, which I'm sure you haven't got to yet.

odditude

• View Profile
During the Tentacle fight in the Figaro Castle engine room, both attacks are called Seize. The attack that inflicts Slow should be Entwine; the attack that grabs a character should be Seize.

This one is likely a script error in the original game, but talking to the Impresario after killing the Earth Dragon yields the following, which would be better as a second page to when you talk to him BEFORE the fight:
"Looks like we're going to have to save the day again!"

I've also corrected a missing word during Cyan's dream sequence, which I'm sure you haven't got to yet.

I'm guessing that's the "to" missing from "Their voices finally gave me the strength and courage live on." after the fight with Wrexsoul.

Also, earlier in the dream sequence:
I heard that! Yipee! Papa loves Mama!
"Yippee!" should have two 'p's.

I've done much of the WoR now; what remains is the Hidon sidequest, Gau's story scenes with his dad, Shadow's dreams, and Kefka's Tower.

If I haven't made it clear, I'm incredibly impressed so far. You've done a fantastic job of this, so kudos to you and everyone who has helped!

HARVEST

• View Profile
Considering that the Final Fantasy SNES Trilogy have extensive mods, do you think it will be possible to port the GBA extras to the original SNES versions so that we can have the ultimate Final Fantasy SNES experience on real SNES hardware?

I really want to play the 2D Final Fantasy games on a CRT the way they were meant to be played with real hardware, and all of the extras from the GBA and PSP versions.
Basically, make recursive ports: The SNES games were ported to GBA, then port almost everything from the GBA ports back to the SNES versions.

Sarah Shinespark

• Creator of Arcana: Seal of Rimsala
    • View Profile
I definitely think it's possible, the question is just how much work it'd be. On the one hand, the extra weapons and monsters take up more than the 255 slots; you'd have to expand the ROM and change a lot of routines (inventory, treasure chests etc) to read from two places. And on the other hand, you'd have to point to and add custom events and graphics and AI for the new content like Gigantuar and Leviathan. And then there's adding an entire new dungeon, plus the Soul Shrine, and maybe Quick Save.

It's a massive task with tons of research to do.

Do I think it'd be cool? Well, yeah! But you can just play the GBA version with Sound Restoration Hack for the new content and a lot less work, so it's hard to recruit people for that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 11:31:58 am by Sarah Shinespark »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
During the Tentacle fight in the Figaro Castle engine room, both attacks are called Seize. The attack that inflicts Slow should be Entwine; the attack that grabs a character should be Seize.

This one is likely a script error in the original game, but talking to the Impresario after killing the Earth Dragon yields the following, which would be better as a second page to when you talk to him BEFORE the fight:
"Looks like we're going to have to save the day again!"

I'm guessing that's the "to" missing from "Their voices finally gave me the strength and courage live on." after the fight with Wrexsoul.

Also, earlier in the dream sequence:
I heard that! Yipee! Papa loves Mama!
"Yippee!" should have two 'p's.

I've done much of the WoR now; what remains is the Hidon sidequest, Gau's story scenes with his dad, Shadow's dreams, and Kefka's Tower.

If I haven't made it clear, I'm incredibly impressed so far. You've done a fantastic job of this, so kudos to you and everyone who has helped!

Thanks so much for the kind words. I've corrected all of those so far.

The save the day line actually should have been
Looks like you saved the day for us once again.

I also added back in a line from the Japanese when you first talk to the Impresario before fighting the dragon.
A dragon is sitting smack in the middle of the stage!
Oh dear, not good, not good...

Considering that the Final Fantasy SNES Trilogy have extensive mods, do you think it will be possible to port the GBA extras to the original SNES versions so that we can have the ultimate Final Fantasy SNES experience on real SNES hardware?

I really want to play the 2D Final Fantasy games on a CRT the way they were meant to be played with real hardware, and all of the extras from the GBA and PSP versions.
Basically, make recursive ports: The SNES games were ported to GBA, then port almost everything from the GBA ports back to the SNES versions.
I definitely think it's possible, the question is just how much work it'd be. On the one hand, the extra weapons and monsters take up more than the 255 slots; you'd have to expand the ROM and change a lot of routines (inventory, treasure chests etc) to read from two places. And on the other hand, you'd have to point to and add custom events and graphics and AI for the new content like Gigantuar and Leviathan. And then there's adding an entire new dungeon, plus the Soul Shrine, and maybe Quick Save.

It's a massive task with tons of research to do.

Do I think it'd be cool? Well, yeah! But you can just play the GBA version with Sound Restoration Hack for the new content and a lot less work, so it's hard to recruit people for that.

As for adding things into the SNES ROM is something I would absolutely LOVE to see as well, but yes it would involve quite a bit extra to do so. To me the game looks the BEST there. The added dungeons, Espers, bosses, and items would be a challenge considering the how the game is coded, but it would take someone willing.

The Bestiary is TOP on my list of things I'd like to see. It would help getting Gau's Rages unless of course, you use Learnable Rage. Perhaps if it were to be added in, maybe next to New Game would be an Extras option, very much like how the game is on the PS1.

odditude

• View Profile
The Bestiary is TOP on my list of things I'd like to see. It would help getting Gau's Rages unless of course, you use Learnable Rage. Perhaps if it were to be added in, maybe next to New Game would be an Extras option, very much like how the game is on the PS1.

is it feasible to do part of this by overloading the existing Rage menu?

currently, the Rage menu (quite sanely) only shows monsters whose Rages you've learned.

is it possible to have the Rage menu also show monsters who you've encountered (but not yet learned) as blued-out, like partially-learned magic appears in the Magic menu? if this can be done in the same manner, it would also prevent those unlearned Rages from appearing in the in-combat Rage menu.

if this is possible, i'd recommend it to be an optional patch - i think it would be horribly unintuitive to first-time players, unless there was additional explanatory text added to the Kappa tutorial.

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=2245.msg26653#msg26653

(note that those forums take a good 30 seconds to load.)

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=2245.msg26653#msg26653

(note that those forums take a good 30 seconds to load.)

That is AWESOME. I know I used the patch to get the "unobtainable" Rages (Allo Vert aka Death Warden, etc) in the Bugfix patches of TWUE but not this one with the grayed out Rages. Does the patch require a Header? I may just use this in the Add-Ons Patches.

I still think a Bestiary would be awesome idea if it could be implemented. I also saw there is code to get Dance Descriptions available in the menu as I read through the thread. That's also something I'd love to implement too.

kouga47

• View Profile
Very awesome indeed! I just did some preliminary testing with it (does require a header) but applying the extra patches for Siegfried, Typhoon and Death Warden all worked well with TWUE. This was with Main2 with the default color.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Very awesome indeed! I just did some preliminary testing with it (does require a header) but applying the extra patches for Siegfried, Typhoon and Death Warden all worked well with TWUE. This was with Main2 with the default color.

Wonderful news. Do you have any screenshots? I may just add this to the Add-Ons patch.

kouga47

• View Profile
https://imgur.com/jj3aATq

https://imgur.com/yq0fJTb

Sure! I tested that after I defeated the Monster-in-a-box or Coliseum match they went from blank to showing up as "greyed out" here. Just a start, but a good one.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:06:35 pm by kouga47 »

odditude

• View Profile
Got a few more:

Enemy "Brontaur" special "Wail" should be "Whale" - see https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/usage-of-whale-wail-wale

One of the bosses in Kefka's tower, "Inferno," has separately targetable arms. These were left as the originally localized names ("Striker" and "Rough"), instead of the current localization ("Ketu" and "Rahu") - not sure if this was a stylistic choice or an oversight.

Bug report: The in-battle Control menu is drawn the wrong (and probably original) size. It correctly removes underlying text so 13-character-long ability names will fit without overwriting anything, but the menu window itself is only drawn to fit 10-character names. This can be reproduced by Controlling "InnoSent" or "ArmoredWpn", among others - ability names such as "Absolute Zero" spill outside the window. I'm not sure what the longest ability name is, but the window size should be adjusted accordingly.

Awesome news regarding the Rage menu finds!

Edit: 1 more...

During the Gau's Father cutscene, there should probably be a line break moved before Gau's name. At least with default character names, here's how it showed up for me (note the orphaned question mark at the beginning of line 4):
Celes: Which is it gonna be?
Oh! This is nice…but…
Do you think this is becoming of Gau
? Mmm…
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 02:04:00 am by odditude »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Got a few more:

Enemy "Brontaur" special "Wail" should be "Whale" - see https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/usage-of-whale-wail-wale

One of the bosses in Kefka's tower, "Inferno," has separately targetable arms. These were left as the originally localized names ("Striker" and "Rough"), instead of the current localization ("Ketu" and "Rahu") - not sure if this was a stylistic choice or an oversight.

Bug report: The in-battle Control menu is drawn the wrong (and probably original) size. It correctly removes underlying text so 13-character-long ability names will fit without overwriting anything, but the menu window itself is only drawn to fit 10-character names. This can be reproduced by Controlling "InnoSent" or "ArmoredWpn", among others - ability names such as "Absolute Zero" spill outside the window. I'm not sure what the longest ability name is, but the window size should be adjusted accordingly.

Awesome news regarding the Rage menu finds!

Edit: 1 more...

During the Gau's Father cutscene, there should probably be a line break moved before Gau's name. At least with default character names, here's how it showed up for me (note the orphaned question mark at the beginning of line 4):

Actually Wail isn't incorrect. しゃくりあげる kind of means to heave with sobbing. So the US translation goes with Wail as a shorthand way of translating it. The GBA version goes with Heave. Yeah, its a powerful attack but both translations would be correct.

Striker and Rough were an oversight on my part. That's been fixed. I also changed the spacing for the line break for that cut scene.

Are you able to get a screenshot of that back. I'm going to have to look into it.

odditude

• View Profile

Control menu overwriting character names to (almost) the correct length (on rows where there are commands present)

Control menu overflow for longer names

Note that to accommodate the names shown in the bottom image (and one more tile for the border of the menu), the amount of space reserved as shown in the top image needs to be one tile longer. Also, it only reserves space on rows where a command is present - which, if not changed, would result in Strago's name partially sitting in the expanded Control menu.

Edit: Now, looking closer, both Locke's and Celes's names were completely overwritten (or at least the first 5 tiles are), but Relm's name is only partially so... I'm curious what that menu routine is actually doing.

Actually Wail isn't incorrect. しゃくりあげる kind of means to heave with sobbing. So the US translation goes with Wail as a shorthand way of translating it. The GBA version goes with Heave. Yeah, its a powerful attack but both translations would be correct.
ahh, got it! I searched for that phrase, and it looks like SE has been using Heave in newer games as well. I'd lean towards "Heave," personally, but you are 100% correct about Wail.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 09:49:43 pm by odditude »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile

Control menu overwriting character names to (almost) the correct length (on rows where there are commands present)

Control menu overflow for longer names

Note that to accommodate the names shown in the bottom image (and one more tile for the border of the menu), the amount of space reserved as shown in the top image needs to be one tile longer. Also, it only reserves space on rows where a command is present - which, if not changed, would result in Strago's name partially sitting in the expanded Control menu.

Edit: Now, looking closer, both Locke's and Celes's names were completely overwritten (or at least the first 5 tiles are), but Relm's name is only partially so... I'm curious what that menu routine is actually doing.
ahh, got it! I searched for that phrase, and it looks like SE has been using Heave in newer games as well. I'd lean towards "Heave," personally, but you are 100% correct about Wail.

Yeah I'm going with Heave for now. Thanks to SilentEnigma, I'm able to fix the code for the Control Menu too.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
If there's anything else I will update it, but I think the next version is ready for now.

V3.04 is now ready for download. The update includes:

-Typos in various places fixed.
-Ketu and Rahu names corrected
-Relm's Control Menu expanded to accomodate some of the longer names
-Use Spell and Use Item name boxes resized to accomodate names properly
-Rage Checklist Main 2 Patch added to Add-Ons patches making it easier to find out what Rages that are still available.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 09:40:18 pm by Rodimus Primal »