News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI SNES Woolsey Uncensored Edition (Updated - Version 2.09.2)  (Read 303292 times)

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
I found out the Description Disruption caused errors in the game menus.

Uh oh, what kind of errors did it cause with the menus? Was it a confliction with something TWUE specific? I've used it so far without any noticeable issue, but still I'm curious.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Uh oh, what kind of errors did it cause with the menus? Was it a confliction with something TWUE specific? I've used it so far without any noticeable issue, but still I'm curious.

It caused some weird issues in the descriptions too. I thought I had checked it, but its not every item description. Also the Music Player menus were completely broken. They definitely conflict with one another.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
Huh I can't seem to replicate that, I tried patching Description Disruption over a freshly patched 2.08a TWUE + Bug Fixes, and also tried Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons, and the menus seem okay and item descriptions intact. I also tried applying TWUE - Music Player Main Menu B on top of it and it didn't seem to break anything either. :-\

EDIT: Using the Patch Conflict Finder, it does show that the Music Player patch conflicts, or at least shares space with Description Disruption, but I'm just not seeing the garbled menu font issue or anything noticeable.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 03:15:13 am by Gi Nattak »

dkg2901

• View Profile
It has to be an unheadered FFIII (U) 1.0 ROM. It won't work trying to patch it to a Japanese FF6 ROM file. Let me know if you get it working.

No idea what changed, but after my 10th download and 50th loop it started working.

Thanks for the response, excited to play your patch :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:48:21 am by dkg2901 »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Huh I can't seem to replicate that, I tried patching Description Disruption over a freshly patched 2.08a TWUE + Bug Fixes, and also tried Bug Fixes, Updated Opera, & Add-Ons, and the menus seem okay and item descriptions intact. I also tried applying TWUE - Music Player Main Menu B on top of it and it didn't seem to break anything either. :-\

EDIT: Using the Patch Conflict Finder, it does show that the Music Player patch conflicts, or at least shares space with Description Disruption, but I'm just not seeing the garbled menu font issue or anything noticeable.

I wonder if something in the functions of the two conflict if you patch the Music Player first and then Description Disruption.

Pas-2

• View Profile
I guess this is a bug. I'm pretty sure I opted for the Add-ons but the guy talking about the Cactuars seems to be missing from Maranda in World of Ruin

Let's see if this image sharing works.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
I guess this is a bug. I'm pretty sure I opted for the Add-ons but the guy talking about the Cactuars seems to be missing from Maranda in World of Ruin

Let's see if this image sharing works.

Are you referring to the added content from the GBA version, such as extra Espers? That isn't something added into Woolsey Uncensored and I don't think is any SNES hack YET.

Pas-2

• View Profile
Are you referring to the added content from the GBA version, such as extra Espers? That isn't something added into Woolsey Uncensored and I don't think is any SNES hack YET.

Ah, that explains. Also means that I'm a moron who doesn't read readmes properly.

LostGaijin

• View Profile
Hello all,

This is my first time playing FFVI in many, many years, so I found this version and am stoked to get started.

I only have one question, and it's an odd one at best:

I have seen that there is an "easy" version of FFVI out there, which (likely) brings all the enemies HP down to 1 or something, which I am interested in merely because I simply do not have the time I used to have to apply to playing video games. Is there a way to patch this complete version of the game with the "easy" patch in order to make running through it merely for the story experience possible?

I have tried, and while the game loads up, I cannot get past the intro screen. All I get is a black screen. I patched an unheadered file I have with the TW IPS patch first (the largest and most complete one), and then used the "easy" IPS patch I found afterwards.

I know this may seem like blasphemy to some, and in a way it is for me too, but as I said, I don't have that much time anymore unfortunately.

I am using the SD2SNES Pro (FW version 1.10.3) on a Super NT in case that matters.

Thanks!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Hello all,

This is my first time playing FFVI in many, many years, so I found this version and am stoked to get started.

I only have one question, and it's an odd one at best:

I have seen that there is an "easy" version of FFVI out there, which (likely) brings all the enemies HP down to 1 or something, which I am interested in merely because I simply do not have the time I used to have to apply to playing video games. Is there a way to patch this complete version of the game with the "easy" patch in order to make running through it merely for the story experience possible?

I have tried, and while the game loads up, I cannot get past the intro screen. All I get is a black screen. I patched an unheadered file I have with the TW IPS patch first (the largest and most complete one), and then used the "easy" IPS patch I found afterwards.

I know this may seem like blasphemy to some, and in a way it is for me too, but as I said, I don't have that much time anymore unfortunately.

I am using the SD2SNES Pro (FW version 1.10.3) on a Super NT in case that matters.

Thanks!

The Easy Type patch needs a Header added to it first. Try applying TWUE to an unheadered ROM, then add a Header using Tush or something like that, and then apply Easy Type.

LostGaijin

• View Profile
The Easy Type patch needs a Header added to it first. Try applying TWUE to an unheadered ROM, then add a Header using Tush or something like that, and then apply Easy Type.

Well, unfortunately this did not work, and now the game won't boot at all. I wonder if I am using the wrong game patch for the Easu type...

Ratrio

• View Profile
Has anyone got this working on a homebrewed Vita running Retroarch?

I got the rom working on my pc but when I copied it over to my Vita it won't show up in Retroarch. Have I potentially done something wrong or does this patch just only work on pc? It would be a shame if it's the latter as I prefer playing JRPGS on handheld and this seemed like it would be the definitive edition to do that.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile

I got the rom working on my pc but when I copied it over to my Vita it won't show up in Retroarch. Have I potentially done something wrong or does this patch just only work on pc? It would be a shame if it's the latter as I prefer playing JRPGS on handheld and this seemed like it would be the definitive edition to do that.

It might be a Retroarch thing. To my understanding, it has a hard time with games after they've been patched. You could try soft patching or go to load content in the file menu. This is one of those reasons I use individual emulators per console.

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas

I use RetroArch on my PlayStation Classic and, originally — as far as I know, when you did scan for game, RA finds only games with CRC that matches its internal database, in case, NO-INTRO data for SNES games. So, I believe the file is not being found because it differs from the info in the NO-INTRO db.

To help: recently RetroArch 1.8.4 added the option to "blindly" scan games, avoiding the internal database match checking, so, you can add different (also patched) games to your playlist.

The current version is 1.8.5. Try updating your RA and using the new scan side tool, perhaps it can solve your problem.

Or, you can simply add the game manually to you SNES playlist. Just edit the RA/PLAYLISTS/SNES.LPL on NOTEPAD++ (regular notepad will not help) and add a new "key". Copy one of the game keys there and edit accordingly. Where it says "CRC" you can simply write "DETECT" instead of the value.

Regards!
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Ratrio

• View Profile
Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get it to show up by updating Retroarch to the latest version and then just doing a manual scan for it. It now shows up and seems to be playing just fine. Appreciate the responses.

fatalis

• View Profile
So I searched for FFVI restranslation patches and came across this thread and the article linked below.

https://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-vi/

What an amazing read and could serve as a basis for a proper accurate translation without loosing the Woolseyism.

I am dying to replay this game for the 10th+ time, but want a new translation to make the experience feel new. With that in mind.

How much of the text is fixed, edited,  or properly retranslated compared to say the GBA translation. Is there a comparison text?

Or am I better of modding the PC version or GBA version?

Great work by the way.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
So I searched for FFVI restranslation patches and came across this thread and the article linked below.

What an amazing read and could serve as a basis for a proper accurate translation without loosing the Woolseyism.

I am dying to replay this game for the 10th+ time, but want a new translation to make the experience feel new. With that in mind.

How much of the text is fixed, edited,  or properly retranslated compared to say the GBA translation. Is there a comparison text?

Great work by the way.

Every line in the game was analyzed during the process. After Legends of Localization did their videos, I, with a lot of help from the community here, went through the game again using Mato's notes to bring it closer to as accurate as possible while still keeping all the famous Woolsey lines. I often say that this project was a community effort but remains true to its goals.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile

Great work by the way.

You have 3 choices, all 3 in this website.

If you want something more truer-to-the-text but keeping the flair of the Woolsey translation, get this hack.
If you want that but without the Woolsey flair but still based on Tomato's analysis, get hairy_hen's FFVI Retranslated.
Finally there's also the Revised Old Style Edition which goes for something similar but taking into account even more stuff.

fatalis

• View Profile
Every line in the game was analyzed during the process. After Legends of Localization did their videos, I, with a lot of help from the community here, went through the game again using Mato's notes to bring it closer to as accurate as possible while still keeping all the famous Woolsey lines. I often say that this project was a community effort but remains true to its goals.

That's damn impressive! I shouldn't have skimmed through the Read Me.

Has anyone submitted any more errors, or is it as close to final as we can get?

You have 3 choices, all 3 in this website.

If you want something more truer-to-the-text but keeping the flair of the Woolsey translation, get this hack.
If you want that but without the Woolsey flair but still based on Tomato's analysis, get hairy_hen's FFVI Retranslated.
Finally there's also the Revised Old Style Edition which goes for something similar but taking into account even more stuff.

The Revised Old Style Edition, how did I miss this??!! Based on the Read Me, this is closest to the GBA translation and now puts me at a tough decision of which to play next.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
That's damn impressive! I shouldn't have skimmed through the Read Me.

Has anyone submitted any more errors, or is it as close to final as we can get?

I would say it's pretty much close to final as far as the script is concerned. Whenever there is a typo reported, I make the effort to fix it still. As new ROM hacks come out, I do look into compatibility if it's a bug fix or a QoL thing.

For example, the description printing bugfix that is available now I learned uses the same free space in the game as the Music Player included with TWUE. It's not a game breaking issue, just an annoyance that some want to see fixed but I had to not include it because of compatibility. A lot of times, a solution can be found and I will still do an update. Let's say the GBA's extra stuff (dungeons, Espers, Bestiary) was able to be added to the SNES version, I would gladly do so.

But one way or another, I say give out Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Especially if you like those famous lines (Son of a Submariner, Call me a treasure hunter, he'd slit his momma's throat for a nickel, monument to non existence, this kids loaded for bear, etcl. Quite a few of them were altered with the other retranslations out there.