News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man 5 ROM Hack (Need Help!)  (Read 2630 times)

Yumetaro

• THE CUTE PINK PUFF
    • View Profile
Mega Man 5 ROM Hack (Need Help!)
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:04:17 pm »
 Hello RomHacking.net, I made a post a little while back about Mega Man 4 hacking. After a while, I decided to move to Mega Man 5. I will try to answer this as great as possible. I just need some hacking advice to make my hack good. My hack is for those who want a new challenge (but not crazy hard).  The hack will include changed levels, and new graphics. The editing program I will use is Mega FLE X. I need any help to make my hack great. If you want you can contact me through Hotmail.
I am very sorry if this violated the rules. I just kinda got scared in asking. :c

HOTMAIL: tycanmatt@hotmail.com

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Re: Mega Man 5 ROM Hack (Need Help!)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 06:16:25 pm »
I'm a connoisseur of Megaman rom hacks, and I love Megaman 5 especially.

Here's some general advice -

In Megaman 5, the MegaBuster charge shot is overpowered, meaning for the most part enemies don't pose much of a challenge. Therefore, any challenge you intend for the hack must come from the level designs.

At all times try to keep the difficulty curve balanced. The robot master stages should be easier than the DarkMan stages, and the DarkMan stages should be easier than the Dr. Wily stages. AVOID sudden spikes in difficulty.

Design areas to make use of the Super Arrow! The Super Arrow is kind of like item 1 or the Magnet Beam, so don't be afraid to add areas where the use of the Super Arrow is needed to proceed or to bypass a section.

Always, always design areas with fail safes. If you include an area with a latter that you need Rush Coil to reach, then ensure that you're giving the player a solution if they should run out of Rush Coil energy - a spike, a pit, a respawning enemy, something.

Add an M-Tank to at least one of the Wily levels.

If you want to check out an example of a hack that gets MOST things right, check out Megaman Hyperion 5. This hack isn't completely finished (It's about 95%) but it gets almost all things right when hacking Megaman 5. I'm in contact with the author, and hopefully the issues with his hack will be ironed out before its finished.

Yumetaro

• THE CUTE PINK PUFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 04:00:52 pm »
Thank you Satoshi! This advice really helps me, thank you!

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:10:23 am »
Really, take a look at other Megaman 5 and Rockman 5 hacks out there, as well as Megaman hacks in general. The best ones balance difficulty, frustration and fun. Use the gimmicks of the game! The bubbles in Waveman's stage, the reverse gravity generators of Gravityman's stage, the space jump height of Starman, the hidden rooms of Stoneman, etc etc.

Yumetaro

• THE CUTE PINK PUFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 11:43:21 pm »
Oh okay, sorry about that. I will try my best.