I use pSX for an emulator and CDMage to extract and import files.
Seconding that it's likely some kind of hash check/copy protect. Make sure you're changing it to something in the existing glyph set first as mentioned, but it's probably that. What's the game?
Well there aren't many translations for PS1 games, so I thought I'd translate some of them (I mean like 10-15 or so, if I find that many to translate). What I've tried so far is...Spyro 2 - Ripto's Rage! / Spyro 2 - Gateway to Glimmer:
If I change just one bit, it gets frozen/doesn't start.Kagero - Deception II:
If I change something, then the text gets displayed correctly at places, but the PS1 logo at the beginning looks odd, and there's no background music.
I've only tested them to see if the text gets replaced, I didn't play them for long to see if there are any other errors...
Thanks for the tip Pokeytax, with CDMage I'm able to fully play Kagero - Deception II's rebuilded image (with music, sound and stuff, the PS logo looks a bit odd, but it does the same with the original one, so it's not a problem)
I've ran into another problem, mainly translating text without Unicode support, and putting in longer text sometimes freezes the game. But at least I can translate it
If I'm right, then if I want to edit textures/put in new characters for Unicode support I have to extract the .bin file, which I can't because I'm a total noob
Found some nifty texture editing stuff, and I can export/import textures. Will see if I can modify them, put them back in and that they are working as intended (using TimViewer for this, if someone is interested)
Nope, can't put the image back in...