News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Rockman 2 hacks difficulty reduction hack?  (Read 5212 times)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Rockman 2 hacks difficulty reduction hack?
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:29:36 pm »
Hey guys, I'm looking to make some reproduction carts of several Rockman 2 hacks for NES, but I find most of them absurdly difficult.

Can a hack be made up to address the crazy difficulty in the vast majority of Rockman 2 hacks? I feel most of them would be playable without the aid of savestates if only the enemies didn't take so many hits to defeat.

Since all hacks are based on the same game, I wonder if a single, general ips patch could be made or if it would need to be tailored to each individual hack.

All I am looking for is to basically halve the amount of hits enemies take to defeat. So for example, if an enemy takes six shots, make that three. If an enemy takes two shots, make it one, and so on. Also apply this to the bosses.

This is basically the difference between Megaman 2 and Rockman 2 to begin with, so I guess one could call this the Megaman 2 difficulty hack for Rockman 2 hacks.

Please let me know if this can be done or if it would need to be applied individually on a case-by-case basis for various ROM hacks.

Thanks.

Nosuch

• View Profile
Re: Rockman 2 hacks difficulty reduction hack?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:44:41 pm »
Hypothetically speaking, you could probably make a patch for one hack and, if nothing has been shifted to make room for custom code or anything, it should have about the same effect in a different hack built from the same game.  That said, rather than straightforwardly halving all of the relevant numbers in respect to how a particular hack has things set, you'd be applying the same numbers across the board.  So, Flash Man would take 8 buster shots to beat each time, even if Hack A makes him take 14 and Hack B makes him take 28.

Basically, you might be able to get a universal patch to work, but I'd recommend tailoring it to each hack since they're all applying their own twists to the same core data.  Who knows how unbalanced Hack B might become if you apply "Normal Difficulty" data from Hack A? :thumbsup:
Well, he's just this guy, you know?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:00:18 am »
I have serious doubt it. More likely than not you'll need to mod each game. A lot of these hacks have custom enemies either added or written over existing ones. If you know where the HP info is for the original game then you can search each hacked rom to see if it's changed or not.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:56:04 am »
If you know the format of the enemies' data you could write a program that reads their HP values, halves them and writes them back. You would still need different patches for each hack, but as long as a hack didn't change the layout of said data the program itself would be universal.

Disclaimer: I have no experience at all with MM2/RM2, so it might be that this approach is not feasible.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:31:42 pm »
Alright, that's what I had thought.

Second question: how difficult would it be to pull specific bgm tracks from various existing Megaman 2/Rockman 2 hacks and combine them into one other hack? There is a pretty great hack called Rockman L that still uses a completely unmodified soundtrack. What I'd like is to import tracks from probably around 10 other hacks - not the entire soundtracks, just individual tracks. For example, the titlescreen track from one hack, the stage select theme from another, a specific version of Airman's theme from yet another different one, and so on.

So back to my original question,

There are two hacks that really come to mind that I want the difficulty lowered by lowering the HP of the enemies - Rockman no Constansy, and Yendor Code.

Rockman no constancy ips:
rockman2ips.tripod.com/RockmanNC.zip

Yendor Code ips:
rockman2ips.tripod.com/Rockman2YC.zip

Myself, I have no actual romhacking experience. I'm looking to make physical NES cartridges of these for my collection, but as-is they are far too difficult and thus wouldn't justify making. If anyone here has experience with Megaman 2/Rockman 2 romhacking, I'd appreciate it if someone could take a look at these hacks and see if anything can be done.

Again, all I am looking for is a reduction in how many shots it takes to defeat the various enemies. I'm not looking for stage layouts to be changed or anything like that.

Thanks!

Tony H

• View Profile
    • The Code Hut
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:50:57 pm »
Another option would be to make your weapons stronger (do more damage).
The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Game Genie codes and ROM hacking guides

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 08:28:05 pm »
Sure, either way. I'm just looking for the difficulty to be more balanced. Can anyone help?

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:41:06 pm »
Have you looked in data crystal for the values you need to change?

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 12:59:19 pm »
Yeah. 

Enemy HP lookups are stored in address lines $06D9 - $06DF of RAM. For Rockman 2, these values are all much higher than Megaman 2. I'm simply looking for them to be lowered for normal enemies to half whatever their values are set at for both hacks Rockman no Constancy and Yondor Code. Bosses should also be adjusted, but only slightly, maybe 3/4ths instead of 1/2.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 05:19:23 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier increasing your gun strength(s)?

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 08:45:24 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier increasing your gun strength(s)?
That was my initial thought, but I wasn't sure if the gun firing damage was reused for other projectiles, so I didn't mention it :<

Seems like a possible avenue to go, though. Although that might be a bit too brute-force like, as the bosses would die twice as fast, when it was only the enemies that originally were to be weakened :/

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:03 am »
I've played dozens of Megaman rom hacks, and it seems some of them definitely fiddle with how many shots it takes for enemies to be defeated. On datacrystal, there doesn't seem to be a strength of shot lookup (I could be wrong though) but I did find the enemy HP database lookups. Likewise, there aren't gamegenie codes that adjust projectile strength either as far as I can find.

Tony H

• View Profile
    • The Code Hut
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 07:40:32 pm »
There are at least two Megaman/Rockman 2 editors out there.  Have you checked to see if any of them have the ability to edit enemy/boss HP or weapon strength? 

EDIT: If they do, you can edit the ROMs yourself.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:31:42 pm by Tony H »
The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Game Genie codes and ROM hacking guides

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 09:30:21 am »
I've played dozens of Megaman rom hacks, and it seems some of them definitely fiddle with how many shots it takes for enemies to be defeated. On datacrystal, there doesn't seem to be a strength of shot lookup (I could be wrong though) but I did find the enemy HP database lookups. Likewise, there aren't gamegenie codes that adjust projectile strength either as far as I can find.

Anyway I fully agree a lot of these romhacks have the hit amounts changed to the point where it's too difficult.  There has to be some documentation somewhere of the hex locations of enemy hit counts.  Give it a good googling, and learn how to use a hex editor.  Also learn counting in hex is a good idea.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 10:48:43 am »
the editors are pc based. I'm on a mac.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 10:55:00 pm »
the editors are pc based. I'm on a mac.

So...buy....a.....pc.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 08:15:11 pm »
So...buy....a.....pc.

It isn't like you can just go out and spend hundreds or thousands of your local currency on a computer just because you need to use an editor. Money doesn't grow on trees.

Try using WINE if worst comes to worst.