News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Change Mortal Kombat special moves to the style of Street Fighter!  (Read 6778 times)

fellowroot

• View Profile
I want to hack some Mortal Kombat titles and change the way moves are preformed to that of Street Fighter 2.

I've always felt closer to the Street Fighter style of pulling off special moves like: down, down + forward, forward for a fireball.

And that's what I want to do. Instead of doing like: back, back, punch I want to do: down, down + forward, forward!

And the same idea goes for blocking as well. I always hated that fact that in Mortal Kombat that you had to press a button to block.

In Street Fighter all you have to do is press back. Wouldn't that be awesome to be able to play MK just like SF so that when you wanted to block all you had to do is press the back button and no longer have to press an additional button?!?!!??!!

And instead of holding down and then punch to do an uppercut, all you have to do is do like Ryu's dragon punch and it will do the same thing! Forward, down, down forward *Good!*

I'm going to DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahh Flawless Sonic Boom!

Marcelo_20XX

• View Profile
Re: Change Mortal Kombat special moves to the style of Street Fighter!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 03:49:32 am »
Next to impossible, unless you have the source code of the game, plus you didn't even mention for what console you want the changes. Your best bet is getting some MK pack on Mugen and program the specials moves as you like there.

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 08:52:16 am »
I don't know about "next to impossible", but you definitely need serious ASM skillz (though, admittedly, if the OP had them, he probably wouldn't be making a post like this). I would set a trap on a read from the controller and watch for it putting the button press into a buffer. Then I'd watch for it reading from that buffer, comparing the contents of the buffer to a table of moves for that character. (It's possible that there won't be a table and instead there'll be a chain of if-then statements, which might be harder to follow and to modify.) It sounds straightforward enough. Doesn't mean it'd be a walk in the park, mind...

EDIT: The above paragraph only applies to the idea of changing the special move sequences. Changing other things like blocking by pressing 'back' would be much harder, and would probably take months. Also, using the dragon punch combination to trigger an ordinary uppercut doesn't strike me as a good idea. The dragon punch is a fairly strong move because it's an effective anti-air and it has high priority. This offsets the difficulty of inputting the move. The MK uppercut doesn't have these properties. The dragon punch also hits instantly -- you don't have to wait for Ken/Ryu's fist to come up. If you used the dragon punch sequence to trigger an ordinary uppercut, it would take much too long -- you have to wait for the player to finish inputting the sequence, then for the uppercut animation on top of that. If you try speeding up the uppercut animation, it will probably look silly, since the characters weren't animated with a fast uppercut in mind.

If you're going to change the rules of the game, you need a good sense of game design. There's much more to it than putting in features because they sound cool.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:09:40 pm by furrykef »

fellowroot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 02:26:01 pm »
Well making the uppercuts done like dragon punches may not be the best idea, but I still want fireballs and blocking by pressing back.

The game would probably be a hack of U MK3 maybe the arcade or N64 version.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:46:13 pm »
Spoiler:

Good luck.

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 05:09:24 pm »
but I still want fireballs and blocking by pressing back.
Then, as I said, you're looking at wasting months on it, and that's assuming you're an ASM wizard. If you don't, you can probably add even more months on top of that. And you're certainly not going to be able to get someone else to do it for you either, I'm afraid.

Honestly, it'd be less effort to program a new MK game from scratch.

Marcelo_20XX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:58:04 pm »
That's why I said it was next to impossible, first because for the record I haven't found any fighting game which were modded to change the way their moves are performed, also add the difficulty of editing arcade roms ( the N64 could be easier I don't know). Plus if you are an ASM Wizard, which few ppl are, you better spend your time on an emu project or reverse engineering something more useful.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:03:34 pm by Marcelo_20XX »

chickenhen34

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 01:14:22 pm »
Okay. In order to do that, disassemble the game with a program to do so. Then, study the code, see how it works, then disassemble SFII with the same program, and study its code. Use similar code to modify MK moves. Next, reassemble the altered MK game into a ROM. Play it to see if it has any bugs, and if it does, do the dis/reassembling again and look for the problem and edit it. Also, what MK game do you want to edit? Which console? I'd recommend UMK3 for any 16-bit console. Why not do a SFII hack with MK moves, too?

April 27, 2013, 01:42:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Honestly, it'd be less effort to program a new MK game from scratch.
[/quote]
The problem with that would be to learn a completely new language, get all of the animation and stuff from the original, and good luck trying to get a 100% faithful recreation of the version that's your favorite. Neither of these ways are a walk in the park, unless you really understand assembly and/or C++/flash/java/Game Maker/whatever. You can't expect to have a project like this done in 5 minutes.  :( Also, in Game Maker, I'm doing a port of Toy Story, one of my favorite games. Working on level 3, only 15 1/2 levels more to go. :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:42:27 pm by chickenhen34 »

fellowroot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 11:01:05 pm »
So I'm thinking if I were to do this it would probably be on Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 since from what I understand that's the one which is most played right?

And I also thought of something new to add.

I see that there is a run button on this game. So instead of having a run button just make run be a quick (forward + froward) just like in Capcom/Street Fighter games. I honestly don't see why there needs to be a run or block button.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 12:10:37 am »
So I'm thinking
...Have you been reading as well?  :huh:  It doesn't particularly matter what you decide to do this in; you are talking about a pie in the sky at this point.

It occurs to me that while modifying the game might be extremely difficult you could perhaps customize the MAME source code so that particular controller inputs would result in the corresponding button inputs being sent to the game program.  It would be a bit of a kludge, but it would at least be vaguely feasible.  You'd just have to figure out how to work with the MAME source code.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:17:11 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

fellowroot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 03:38:37 am »
Okay, I admit. I'm new to rom hacking and don't really know exactly what is involved.

But can someone please explain to me why my idea is like a pie in the sky?

Why is rom hacking said to be so hard? How hard can this be? Look at Lunar Magic, was that a pie in the sky?

I have many many many rom hacking ideas that I could pretty much talk about forever.

One day I would like to make some rom hacks, but I really don't know how the process works.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 09:11:26 am »
Okay, I admit. I'm new to rom hacking and don't really know exactly what is involved.
That is why there is a "Newcomer's Board" with an informative Getting Started sticky.

But can someone please explain to me why my idea is like a pie in the sky?
Mr. Furrykef seems to have the right idea.

I have many many many rom hacking ideas that I could pretty much talk about forever.
Ideas are cheap; that's why the Hack Ideas thread is currently 35 pages long.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 05:38:53 pm »
Why is rom hacking said to be so hard? How hard can this be? Look at Lunar Magic, was that a pie in the sky?

Lunar Magic took years to make. It was made by reverse engineering the ROM. Debugging, disassembling, studying the assembly, experimenting, etc.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 03:14:42 pm »
Arcade and 16bit consoles are quite different, but N64 isn't as involved as you'd think. 

MK Trilogy and MK4 were made by different companies and likewise their compression is different.  Trilogy uses gzip, MK4 uses EDL.  Moves watchdog a set of controller input buffers, then compare to lists of individual character moves.  The buffers are easy enough to find; backtrace copiers from the SI rdram target address, then see which routine is receiving requests to read them.  Midway was sloppier with threads than Eurocom, so you'll probably find Midway a little easier.  There should only be 2-3 active uses during gameplay, so it should be easy enough to locate the entire moveset engine.

Movesets are stored using standard button codes, and control schemes will just remap these a default.  Eurocom always goes overboard with tables, so expect pointers to tables of pointers, each pointing to a button sequence and an animation/action/function/etc.  Anyway, the button sequences will be separate from the code they trigger, and tables are used instead of hardcoding.  Only trick there is cleaning up room and shifting data so you can put your new, usually longer, sequences in.  Unfortunately, unless you're really lucky, they probably stored everything as short values.  Otherwise, you could double available space by changing the reader to pull unsigned HWs instead of words. 

Both are recycled engines, so they were originally designed with the intention of altering this kind of data.  Mostly pointer redirection and shuffling.
Get familiar with a hex editor and debugger.  It's not super difficult, but rather time consuming.