News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Most and least enjoyable adapted RPG's without knowing the source material?  (Read 4055 times)

Zetshiro

• Rainbow!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Well that was a mouth full. :laugh:

Well, I'm usually a huge RPG player, but some of them can really scare me off when it's adapted from an anime, as the game will usually expect you to know quite a lot about the source material (which can hamper my enjoyment by quite a bit).

I'm not particularly interested in watching tons of anime just to get an understanding of quite a few games, so I'll just ask, what are the most and least enjoyable adapted RPG's without knowing the source material? I remember playing Slayers (SNES) for a bit and finding it really enjoyable yet the Sailor Moon RPG had me Googling a few things (and just generally feeling a bit left out). I was also slightly interested in the .hack PS2 games, but I'm not really sure what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks! :)

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
Funny enough, Slayers was the first thing that came to mind. Tenchi Muyo(also SFC) would be another, this time strategy/tactics.

They both have something in common. There usually aren't long story arcs, and they tend to more episodic(well there are in Slayers, but it's often broken up with oddball one-off episodes). If Lupin ever had one, it'd probably be the easiest one to get into. The worst I've seen with Lupin, canonically, is an occasional 2 or 3 parter.

Lilinda

• View Profile
The Sailor Moon RPG is good enough on its mechanics IMO, but the translation has issues and is basically kind of weeabooed up(And inconsistent). So I guess it's a wash. :P
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
You mean stuff just left in Romanized Japanese? :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Lilinda

• View Profile
The Silver Millennium Crystal has like three different names in the game, usually the romanized one is used.

Edit: Plus, people from outside of Japan use japanese suffixes to refer to folks and WHY GOD TELL ME WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
Sweet Home?

edit: oh, least enjoyable.  I dunno.  Doesn't really matter.  Samurai Pizza Cats or something.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
MegaTen, more specifically Nocturne, as I had no clue it was all based on Novels until much later, if that doesn't count then Parasite Eve.

Least favorite... I have no clue, I'm sure there's some game I didn't like that had source material I didn't know, but I can't be bothered to try and figure it out.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
Enjoyable?

Hmmm... My vote goes for The Adventures of Hourai High. As I recall from Gideon Zhi's notes, it is based from the light novel of basically the same name, though I couldn't find a copy of it on the net but, I do hope someone takes the time to translate it.

I immensely enjoyed the game because of it's humor, interesting plot twists and the club system (which you can gain useful abilities ala FFV).

Oh by the way, I must also ask the translator for this game if there's some gaiden or sequel to this, coz' the ending kinda left me hanging and craving for more. :P

eefara

• View Profile
MegaTen, more specifically Nocturne, as I had no clue it was all based on Novels until much later, if that doesn't count then Parasite Eve.

I believe only Megami Tensei I was based off the original Digital Devil Story novels. Everything past that game (correct me if I'm wrong) is, overall, original material.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
I believe only Megami Tensei I was based off the original Digital Devil Story novels. Everything past that game (correct me if I'm wrong) is, overall, original material.

To my knowledge you're absolutely correct. Although I never read the second novel onward, and what I did read was linked to from AGTP if memory serves, I think Gid mentions that it's the case, and I'll take his word on it. So if we don't count that, then it's Parasite Eve, which again is loosely based on source material, I've still yet to read the novel (or find a copy of it).
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."