News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Famicom) - Legend of the Galactic Heroes  (Read 17219 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Famicom) - Legend of the Galactic Heroes
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 06:43:33 am »
Again, very cool. However, unless you know how to hack, it might not work. The original box if far smaller than the example you showed me. If you can get it to work without hacking, good luck.

Actually, the new logo is smaller, with an area of 98 tiles (14 x 7) as opposed to 100 (10 x 5). However, the line breaks took a couple of bytes more code than I had anticipated. So I had to alter the data for the credits some. Luckily, the credits data was inefficient and I cleared up some space there without having to make any visual changes there. Unfortunately, there are only four more bytes that could be cleared, so whenever you want to put in your translation credits, you'll be very cramped. However, I feel all of that could be avoided with pointer knowledge, which I don't have.

In fact, the whole game appears to be very inefficient. There was plenty of space for me to put the logo into the character table and still keeping the original in as well, with enough space leftover to possibly put in your full alphabet font for additional credits.

Anyways, I've finished it, and the following image is a direct screenshot from FCEUX:

Here is an .ips file made from the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu.nes rom (the first I found from Google) with checksum CRC: 0C569A81. Assuming we are using the same source rom, and as secluded as my changes have been, you should be able to apply the IPS file directly to your translation-in-progress.

If not, you can apply the ips file to the original rom mentioned above and make the following changes:

• Copy and Paste from #015870–01593C (the title screen data, you can do this by opening both roms in FCEUX and click and drag to highlight and copy)
  • Change address $014fA6 to $3C (palette)
  • Copy and paste the full character table from $038010 (graphics, you can do this in yychr, again by opening each rom at the same time, highlight, copy and paste)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:33:13 pm by M_tee »

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 12:38:30 pm »
Awesome man, very clean work.

Do you know anything about input screens? aka, removing kanji, etc. from being shown as letters to be used for a player's Name at the start of a game?

thanks

wynd

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 06:14:15 pm »
I didn't see a naming screen in this game.

But anyways, you replace the font. There's usually a separate table for the text on the screen (like text" A B C D E F") and another table for which character each slot on the name window represents (ABCDEF).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 10:44:51 pm »
I didn't see a naming screen in this game.

But anyways, you replace the font. There's usually a separate table for the text on the screen (like text" A B C D E F") and another table for which character each slot on the name window represents (ABCDEF).

Hi King,

Why I'm asking is this... I have two Neo Geo Pocket titles, that I'd like to use some of the japanese characters and turn them into english words (basically for the unit names), as the area is SOOOO small for them, however if I were to do this, I would then be screwed because they would show up in the name entry screen.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 12:36:59 am »
Well, the same idea still is true.
Usually the actual printed name window is text strings, and then there's a separate data table indicating which character each spot on the window represents.
You'd replace each with blank space.
(well, changing the selectable portion of the menu is a better option. But that's an advanced thing usually requiring ASM hacking. Replacing data with spaces will have to do though if that is not an option. :) )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 11:30:12 am »
Well, the same idea still is true.
Usually the actual printed name window is text strings, and then there's a separate data table indicating which character each spot on the window represents.
You'd replace each with blank space.
(well, changing the selectable portion of the menu is a better option. But that's an advanced thing usually requiring ASM hacking. Replacing data with spaces will have to do though if that is not an option. :) )

Gotcha I'll look into it. I assumed it was ASM hacking lol.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 09:39:44 pm »
There was a typo in my IPS link. I've corrected it. Here it is again.