News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Famicom) - Legend of the Galactic Heroes  (Read 17238 times)

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
What a pain in the butt.

This game is sweet, but the way it was programmed is nuts. There are about 7 different tables associated with this game. Some of the text is the same, but not always, so I had to build 7 different .tbl files and use FCEUX to view what table I was in during dialogue. It's not looking too bad at the moment. Most of the dialogue is doable with basic Japanese knowledge, there are only a few Kanji symbols. The game is a robotic RPG.

I'm currently working on redoing the title

A Bad A$$ ship

My first brief translation
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:39:13 pm by wyndcrosser »

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Famicom) - Legend of the Galatic Heroes
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:46:10 am »
Is there anyway you can expand the pointers so you can add more letters to the menu?

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:06:06 am »
Hey a like we discussed, I'm still learning the hacking and ASM part of NeS translating. So, for the moment this is the best I can do. Hopefully I'll be able to learn based on what you sent me and the docs on here.

Wynd

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 01:10:19 pm »
Sorry, I hope you did not take offense.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:56:35 pm »
Hey a like we discussed, I'm still learning the hacking and ASM part of NeS translating.

Pointers are not hard. Honestly! Pointers are your friend.

I don't know if anything better has been written since, and the doc I'm going to point you has probably been around romhacking stuff longer than anyone on these forums (myself included!) so the terminology's a bit outdated, but it's what I cut my teeth on! So go ahead, read The Madhacker's Guide to NES Pointers. Seriously. It's great stuff, and pointers really are a basic quality minimum. ASM can wait. Pointers cannot.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 07:37:13 pm »
7 Table sets!? Ugh! I thought 3 in a game were a pain in the ass enough when I first started doing this.:P

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:34:38 pm »
Sorry, I hope you did not take offense.

Nope not at all. Lol.

April 19, 2013, 10:05:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
all tables updated with english characters and started a brief translation of the game

NOTE:

The title screen was just placement and to see how a "stencil" like font would work (took me 5-10 minutes in tile layer, this was actually super easy, compared to others I've done), since the game is a strategy based military game.

My plan is to border the letters of "LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC" with a white color to make it pop and fix the lettering to give it a 3D feel, and then makes "HEROES" a litter bigger, but put it on a PLAQUE looking background.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:17:01 pm by wyndcrosser »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 12:08:28 am »
Looking good.

How many tiles are available for the title logo?

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 12:24:38 am »
What kind of game is it?

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 12:59:22 am »

Odd for both image having different sizes... I think this titlescreen is very, very easy to edit.  8)

@wyndcrosser: can you make the letters have proportionate sizes. The logo should not be to artsy though, simple lettering would suffice.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 01:01:48 am »
I kinda like the logo. Pretty creative.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 01:02:44 am »
@wyndcrosser: can you make the letters have proportionate sizes. The logo should not be to artsy though, simple lettering would suffice.
If you mean the main game font, you can't have a proportional font because this is a CHR-ROM game.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 01:06:25 am »
If you mean the main game font, you can't have a proportional font because this is a CHR-ROM game.

Not the font. The title logo itself. Most of the letters in the title logo are disproportionate. And why did the "HEROES" get a sudden shrinkage? Its like:

"LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES"

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 01:15:50 pm »
Haha,

The title screen was just placement and to see how a "stencil" like font would work (took me 10 minutes in tile layer, this was actually super easy, compared to others I've done), since the game is a strategy based military game.

My plan is to border the letters of "LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC" with a white color to make it pop and fix the lettering to give it a 3D approach, and then makes "HEROES" a litter bigger, but put it on a PLAQUE looking background.

April 20, 2013, 01:18:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Don't get me wrong, I like public opinions, but see my update. It all comes down to personal taste. :)

Ghegs

• View Profile
Re: Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Famicom) - Legend of the Galactic Heroes
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:26 am »
I was delighted to see work on translating this game has at least begun. I'm a big fan of LOGH and have been wanting to play the game since I found out about it. This gives me hope that one day, I can.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 01:50:32 am »

My plan is to border the letters of "LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC" with a white color to make it pop and fix the lettering to give it a 3D approach, and then makes "HEROES" a litter bigger, but put it on a PLAQUE looking background.

Not exactly what you had planned, but if you're still working on this, here's a title I threw together. I checked the rom (both the character table and the data for the title screen),  and it should fit no problem. If you dig it, use it. If you need help putting it in, I can help. If you don't dig it, no problem.  :)

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 12:58:34 am »
Haha, nice work. PM'd.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 10:46:48 am »

What logo is this reminding me of? I can't put my finger on it, but I've seen something in a similar style before.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 11:41:34 am »
In terms of overall design, it's somewhat similar to Empire Strikes Back. Not intentional, but I realized it as I was working on it. Googled it, figured it wasn't too similar, but it still had a distinctly military scifi feel.

In terms of font, I started with the comicraft achtung font and modified from there. Some letters just cleared up for the resolution, some altered, some from scratch.

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 09:09:13 pm »
Again, very cool. However, unless you know how to hack, it might not work. The original box if far smaller than the example you showed me. If you can get it to work without hacking, good luck.

Thanks again,

Wynd