News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Beginner's Attempt: Looking For Info to NES Editing and Creating!  (Read 4431 times)

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Greetings and Salutations, Ladies and Gents!

As this says Newcomer's Board, I hope this is the proper place to post this new gossip topic and if it's not, I deeply apologize and hope it could be moved to the proper destination!

A little bit about my knowledge.  I have about a beginner's experience with YYCHR Graphic Editor and another which was called NES Palette Editor but that stopped working for me some time ago as I don't know if the individual that made it had it compatible with Windows 7 or not.  There was another editor that I was slightly familiar with

For me being and posting here, I was referenced to this website by a wonderful gentleman that was kind enough to give me some pointers on this thing or that!  So many questions I had asked and some he was able to provide an answer, something I deeply and sincerely am thankful for.  As for the rest of my questions that were not answered, I hope that they can be answered here and also hope that I can continue onward with my current and planned projects which I would want to share so I can get the proper feedback!

My current list of planned projects that I want to focus on with the first game listed as my main priority project!

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

Complete Overhaul
Something about this game that I loved as a child and still do (yeah, I'm one of those oddballs lol)!  Of what I want to do, other than a graphic overhaul for kicks and giggles, is that I wanted to find out how to add music then make/turn it into the VRC6 format, add new bosses with also fixing the current ones it has (something similar to the Castlevania III and SotN boss features), add rooms for entirely new sections, add a map feature, add a save state, editing texts, getting rid of the box transition from when it goes from day to night/night to day, edit the ending by having only one true ending instead of possible 3 outcomes, replacing the time clock feature with how long the person has played like the 00:00:00 style (would give the player an idea of how long it would be until it becomes night or day again), and see about adding directional whip attacks if ever possible.

I understand that the things listed would probably make the game itself a little too big by not being able to fit it onto an actual cartridge though that's fine with me as I just want it strictly as a ROM only.

The music editing and adding I've been trying to find for ages now.  One can say that I'm deeply hell bent on trying to find information about it.  I know that music hacks are kinda rare, as they seem to be, though I do want to add things to the game itself.  Tons of things.  I know that may sound greedy but I want to give people something to enjoy!

Akumajou Densetsu/Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

Graphic Overhaul and Music Editing

I was first going to edit the U.S version but until I found a translation of the Japanese game, I flipped with joy lol!  Ever since I found it I wanted to do music hacks to the game but like my problem with Castlevania II, I could not find any information on how to do such a thing.  With an emulator I sat there looking at all the numbers flicker back and forth trying to see where to begin for music editing but all it made me do is go cross eyed in confusion lol!  I still have plans on just doing a graphic update to both the Japanese and U.S versions but of how I am, I want to go one step further with the music editing especially with the Japanese version due to the VRC6.  I know that the VRC6 isn't the 'ultimate' thing out there but do want the extra channels for music or so I was told it has extra channels.  Unsure if it's different from the type of feature seen in Famitracker or not...gut instinct tells me it is lol  :P

Super Castlevania IV

Graphic Overhaul

I...have no idea on how to edit the graphics located on SCIV as from what I've learned that they are 'compressed' and difficult to do.  I want to edit EVERYTHING on SCIV, even thought about making a Super Castlevania III even though there is a game project about SCIII being made; that project will come way later in the future as my main focus right now is how to edit the graphics on SCIV.

NES Homebrew Projects

I want to learn how to make NES games from scratch.  I realize that one must understand the 6502 Assembly Code but what else would I need to learn in order for my homebrewing to happen?  I do not plan on putting them onto cartridges nor do I plan on selling them as I want them to be distributed for free so that way everyone can enjoy them!  My current projects that I want to share are as follows...

Metroid II: The Return of Samus
Always felt that this game should have been on the NES to begin with and want to make it so someday!  I want to add the same stuff found on the Gameboy game but also add new features.

1941: Star Wars Rogue Squadron Edition
I always loved the Rogue Squadron games and thought about on what it would be like to mix Rogue Squadron with 1941.  If I can learn how to edit stuff properly then this would be turned into a full blown hack.

The Castlevania Gameboy Games onto the NES
By now I'm sure you've figured out my name handle on here.  Since I'm a huge fan of Castlevania, I would love to see the Castlevania Gameboy games be made for the NES.  Now I'm sure some people will step up and say "They were made on the Gameboy for a reason" but in all honesty, why not do NES versions?  I want to so I want to learn how to hence why I am posting!

So that's pretty much everything in a nutshell.  I'm aware that this will take an extremely long time to do and learn as I'm eager and willing to learn anything that I need to make these projects come true!  I want to avoid game making programs as much as possible, like Game Maker and the likes of it, so that way these can be called true and real NES game ROM's.  Besides, I have other game projects planned for Game Maker: Studio in the future so really don't want to have EVERYTHING made on game maker lol!

I realize that my ideas may be out there but this is something I want to.  No one can pretty much sway me into doing other projects as these are the ones I want to deeply focus on.

I hope that explaining my projects to all of you will help get my questions finally answered as this has been a long journey for me in trying to find those answers.  Like I said above, these projects will take quite some time especially when I begin working in the next few months, or hopefully, they will be worked on slowly.

Any information that is provided to me will be greatly appreciated!  I look forward to any feedback that is provided...even if I encounter a wild troll  :laugh:

Cheers and thank you for your time in reading this!  :beer:
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Beginner's Attempt: Looking For Info to NES Editing and Creating!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:49:13 pm »
Good luck! And trolls are an endangered species here. Bisquit and Optomon are who you wanna talk to about Castlevania 2.

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:37:14 pm »
Okay, that's good to know on the trolling lol!

In all honesty, I asked Mr. Optomon twice and not sure if I want to ask him again.  Nothing bad happened, just don't want to keep asking and asking the same individual over and over of "How do you do this?", "Where can I learn this?" or "Can you give me a tutorial?" and all the likes.  I do feel that I need to seek my answers from another individual while he focuses his sights with Pyron!  Do you mean Bisqwit by chance?  If so, I'm currently talking to him about info of how-to and the likes with simple explanations when he has the time.  He was the one that referenced this website to me which I'm very grateful!

So many questions that I have in all of this, just hoping someone out there has the patience to put up with them and direct me to what I need to know LOL!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:49:14 pm »
Hello I am FAST6191 and I will be your wet blanket for today. Most of what you suggest is not impossible but some of it would trouble the best of the NES hackers and programmers. Equally most sound like fine improvements but if you are set on making emulator only ones* I do have to ask why not program something normally? Pretty much every general use language going will be able to make something as powerful as a NES game that runs on modern hardware (hint- if flash can do it then pretty much anything can). Generally speaking adding entirely new things to a game is harder than replacing existing content (easier) or increasing the scope of existing content (harder) but it can be done.

*there are quite a few of the opinion that if your NES or SNES hack (typically the only ones that really go in for this) is emulator only then it is not a NES/SNES game.

Still

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Complete Overhaul
I understand that the things listed would probably make the game itself a little too big by not being able to fit it onto an actual cartridge though that's fine with me as I just want it strictly as a ROM [emulator] only.
It sounds like the idea of mappers is going to have to be explained.
The stock has a pitiful amount of ROM space (32 kilobytes or even just 16 depending upon how you want to look at it) and it is not the greatest hardware either but more on that later.
To this end we have mappers which allow you to change the 16 kilobyte sections with another and also add extra abilities to the NES in some cases (less so than the SNES special chips but still something extra).
Changing a mapper is not that hard in terms of the basic idea but the trick comes in catching every edge case in a ROM where the stock game would load from a given bank and if your game is not presently on the bank it thinks it is then crashing, corruption, explosions, the summoning of Cthulhu...... happens. As NES games were typically not programmed in high level languages (a few people have since managed to get something resembling high level programming languages onto the NES but it is still ASM country) this is not easy to account for either. Also ever wondered why Final fantasy 1 saw amazing hacks like Dragoon X Omega II where Final Fantasy 3 saw a translation or two and not a lot else?
I have not looked up what this game uses but there are some "emulator only" mappers and tweaks to them.

a graphic overhaul
The NES is not the greatest in terms of power so lots of graphics tricks were used. This means if you want to add lots of colours or increase the effective resolution then you could run into lack of memory problems.
Similarly if you want to try adding animations you could run into problems to (occasionally consoles keep sprite sheets in memory)

add music then make/turn it into the VRC6 format. The music editing and adding I've been trying to find for ages now.
Returning to the mappers idea we also have to note that the famicom could have more expanded on it than the NES could and this includes the VRC6 audio extras.
Adding music is easier. There is no NES audio format (NSF is basically a cut down ROM with a given game's sound engine) and audio engineers, especially those on old consoles, are ones for making nice custom things. You will probably not find too much on general NES audio as I can describe the basic idea in a paragraph (though it would assume general debugging skills), the hardware specifics in another, music theory is well music theory and you can go as much into that as you like and the rest is all custom though still heavily revolving around the hardware.
The nes audio "chip" is the APU (some docs call is the pAPU or pseuedo-Audio Processing Unit as there is no audio chip save for those things like VRC6 and it is in the CPU itself) and it is covered rather nicely http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/APU with the expansion stuff from http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Category:Expansion_audio
You run the game, watch what talks to the APU (or indeed your expansion options) and then edit what goes into it and/or expand on its scope (if is does not use say an analogue section you can enable it and pipe something in there). If we were talking about the GBA or DS then there are nice near universal audio formats we can go into great depth for but here it is pretty rough and ready. That is not so bad though as what is in the ROM is likely what is going to be fed into the hardware or will be after truly minimal processing. It does also mean you might be troubled if you want to edit things at a somewhat higher level.

add new bosses with also fixing the current ones it has (something similar to the Castlevania III and SotN boss features)
Changing boss AI is possible but I should also note AI is probably the wrong term- a lot of it is patterns repeated and maybe interrupted at given health milestones with anything resembling AI being a "home in on the player" option in some cases. Equally there is a reason games reuse things so revisiting an old boss (or its cousin), a normal enemy somewhat jumped up or something like that would be nicer. Still I am sure you could possibly wedge an extra sprite or two in there.

add rooms for entirely new sections
Depending upon how the game does it then this could be hard or easy. I am not sure a bit of theory coding will do much good here (not that it ever does much good) so I will hold back and say something like generally you would see pointers, something in the linked list family (this room can lead to this room or that room), coordinate systems (column 4, row 6) or some hybrid of the lot. Assuming you can fit it in the ROM then you get to figure out how to get a door (or possibly teleport) into the new room and once there how to get out of it.

add a map feature
This could be quite hard depending upon how the levels play out. In most cases chances are it was a distinct entity made at compile time. Even adding something like a room marker could be a feat in an of itself depending upon how the game plays it (coordinate systems are easy enough but the others are far too slow for the NES to work through in real time). Of course you can cheat and add things to the map (pass a massive statue and represent it on the map.... just like real life).
If you aspire to add a progressively drawn map then I say give up or cheat and add a second map once you get to a milestone whereupon you load the second fuller map.

add a save state
If you are going for emulator only I have to ask why? I could do this for the GBA something more powerful but the NES is going to prove tricky. I would probably add an interrupt to freeze the game and add a simple loop piping the memory into the SRAM (which will probably also want to be hacked and that could be a nightmare in and of itself).

edit texts
Assuming you do not want to expand any one section a ridiculous amount this is a fairly basic trick in most cases. I can envisage a situation where you might have to either hold back or do extensive hacking to work around a limitation but cross that bridge as and when.

getting rid of the box transition from when it goes from day to night/night to day
I would take to assembly for this one but it is likely to be easy enough assuming the box does not mask a load or some processing (even on the NES the fraction of a second it could gain here is still quite a few cycles). As with everything else there are many ways the original coders could have made it happen. I would probably have done a timer (which the game has already) and added an interrupt at intervals to do trigger the go for night/go for day routines. The box is probably part of that so you can have it skip past the "user has pressed the button" check to the end of it, maybe skip the box loading at all or something else. Bypassing functionality like this is often what people use to learn some of the basics of assembly hacking (you either blank an instruction with a NOP or make a jump to the "all is well/end this" part of things).

edit the ending by having only one true ending instead of possible 3 outcomes
Maybe slightly harder than the text box thing and could be tackled in various ways but assuming the game just has a "three choices right at the end" type arrangement (this does extend to the timer stuff) the proper way would probably be to find the checks and either jump to the "good" ending by whatever means is necessary (it could be a basic "if, elseif, else" type arrangement or it could be a variation on that- whatever happens it is just a matter of forcing the ending you want by making sure it goes to it or does not have a choice). There is a slightly hackish way if you force a timer or whatever other end conditions there might be to make for the ones you want, it is probably how I would do it were I doing it with cheats but as you are editing the ROM best do it properly.

replacing the time clock feature with how long the person has played like the 00:00:00 style (would give the player an idea of how long it would be until it becomes night or day again)
I have no idea what the clock feature is but as the game has a timer this should not be quite so bad, you might have to make a routine to convert the timer which I imagine is just a counting number (be it scaled or one for every screen redraw or something)

and see about adding directional whip attacks if ever possible.
The proper ways like later games would be harder. The hackish way of subvert the button checks and spin the sprite manually (hopefully without hassle for the hit detection) would be my preferred option but might not look so good.

I have kind of already taken everything else; compression works much like music hacking in that you watch how it works in a debugger and use that info to extract it in a useful manner. The older consoles do not afford the best compression either ( http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=15996.0 being a nice topic on the matter) but it can still be fun to work around.

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 05:15:47 pm »
Tons of questions are answered and I thank you for that!

I understand that some things can be cut loose as I expected as much which is not a big deal!

Graphic overhaul is something I should have not used in words.  More like giving it new, custom-made 'sprites' compared to the originals.  I found out that there is a 3 color rule to the palettes from what I found out that contains the 00 or 0F on whatever it was for nothing being there along with the three other colors given for that particular and shared characters it's used with and for.  I learned all of this the dumb way but took it as a lesson due to from jumping head on into the fray without any knowledge lol!

For the save states and edit texts parts compared to everything else, wanted to give that type of run around RPG feeling to Simon's Quest instead of relying on the password system if people prefer to use that kind of feature instead of using the emulator.  It all depends on the final wire really as it is an actual side option lol!  Editing texts is just like adding words, rephrasing and the likes.  I was going to alter the story line a bit for Akumajou Densetsu's translation hack but never got around to it as I was still focused on editing characters and graphics with the YYCHR and reVamp program for Dracula's Curse and Akumajou Densetsu.

For the music hacking part, where would be a good place to learn more about mappers let alone begin studying on how to do all of this besides the two links given?  Also where to make or get a 'mapper' in order to make the music along with whatever is needed.  Gotta remember, I'm new to all of this music editing so I'm pretty much like a lost pup looking to be lead in the right direction on where to begin with the first steps, tools and utilities needed lol.  I want to make darn sure I'm understanding all of this so that way I'm not constantly asking people into pure annoyance LOL!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 06:55:30 pm »
3 colours (and transparent) then.
Game graphics are not bitmap pictures which contain the colours of the pixels they represent but the numbers in the graphics are lookup values for the values in a palette. This is why adding colours, extra detail not using those colours and such is hard. Extra frames of animation are also hard as the game has to have it all in memory as it were.

Save states.... well if the passwords are accurate and do not lose collectibles, position or weapons then that could change things. Typically when save functionality is hacked onto a game it is because the game was intended to have one but the publisher stopped it at the last moment. Still rather than savestates you might be able to make some SRAM and just hold the password data which is considerably smaller than the whole of the memory which is what a savestate is. Here as the game is reduced to a simple code you can ping that into SRAM and load it back out as and when, I am not sure about mappers and such like as it applies here but more on that in a moment.

Text wise then if you want basic edits, rephrasing things and such like it should be fine.

Music and mappers have basically nothing to do with each other save for those mappers that did add extra hardware for music.
You do not download one or even make one- they are basically virtual concepts (though implemented using real chips back in the real world) you have to program around/with/to.
General idea then
Recall that the NES has only 32 kilobytes of ROM image which is typically split in two.
The first 16K might hold say the game and the last 16 might hold graphics, music and whatever else. 32K is nothing, even on the NES, so more is needed.
You can make it so the second 16K is swapped with another 16K if you tell the cart to and thus you have 48K to play with. Keep the first 16 just for the game which is visible at all times and the upper section can be swapped around at will.
Naturally you are not limited to just the two upper 16K banks and you can now fit a lot more in if you need to.
However swapping things out means you only ever have a given window and not a full however many hundreds of K you have as storage.
As games are dumb/hard coded if you swap out a bank and it tries to load something but gets something else entirely we are back with crashing, explosions, corruption, Cthulhu.... If you are coding your own game from scratch this is fine but as a commercial game has to be considered to be able to generate a read at any point in time you can not necessarily be certain your extra banks will not be present at the time the game tries to load something (to say nothing of the commands used to change banks maybe being different) you are left with a nightmare job of having to hunt down every possible read (and given I can, may have to or may benefit greatly if I generate a read in such a manner that is not immediately obvious from simple code analysis making sure it is all good after a change no mean feat) and making sure it gets where it needs to go. The obvious solution of a hypervisor (a bit of code that manages interaction between systems) is not really feasible in hardware but emulation might allow for it hence the option for emulator only hacks. There are some mappers that are similar enough to each other and some games that are simple enough to do this with relative ease but both of those are the exception.
Just before we get to music, and though it is probably obvious at this point, though more space is nice you can also do other things on the cart and have all sorts of added functionality which games can use. If your commercial game is coded to use this extra functionality (and it is good stuff that is so nice it is usually available by default on newer systems) your new mapper had better have this too or you are also stuck with working around that.

That cleared up onto music. For now I will ignore the on cart enhanced stuff as it is a distraction.
For the NES you don't really have tools and such like to play with, the GBA and DS sure but not the NES.
I linked a doc on the NES APU
Generally speaking on the NES the would be programmer gets to feed the relevant commands to the APU, make sure the relevant data from the ROM is fed where it needs to go and everything else. This does come in the form of very low level programming if you have incidental music though it is not too different for general operations if it changes from room to room.
Some of this requires understanding low level coding concepts like interrupts, general programming concepts like functions and hardware concepts like registers. I am not sure I have the time or find myself all that suited to the task as far as the NES is concerned though.
Generally you can alter what the APU is told (you have nice commands for the volume, lengths of pulses and much more), if there is a simple scripting language or sequence (think midi or sheet music) then you might be able to edit that and you can alter the game itself (tell it what song to load when it loads a new screen or something).
The cart enhanced stuff works in a similar manner- the programmer has to enable the on cart hardware as well telling the NES to expect it, feed it what it needs and carry on from there. You would then hook into the "game itself" part as well as the what is fed where parts and fire commands (be they actual instructions or the little scripting language you might have cooked up) to the cart, stop when necessary and such like. This is not so bad actually but it does come with the annoyance of the rest of the game having to work around a mapper with the issues already discussed. I am not aware of any emulators that have a magic workaround for this.

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 09:52:35 pm »
Once more, questions are answered!

So it's pretty much like clockwork.  By messing with the gears and cranks you get it to 'fire' off on how you want it to just as long as it's within the parameters of it's performance without the bringing of Cthulhu lol!

Also on a side note, a bit of progress was made today as the gentleman who referenced this site to me found a remarkable document of all the fundamentals and steps on how to create NES games along with how things work.  Pretty much self crash course with all the perks added!  I'm already tempted to try some of the homebrew games once I understand it all fully and completely!  Thing is though, until I read and study more on the lessons given can you explain of how one can do a mapper for the music?Hope it's not too much to ask as I already feel that I've asked too much from you already lol!  I'm greatly confused as I've found some games that need something called an IPS patcher in order to implement the made hacks 'over' the normal ROM.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:28:26 am »
Sounds like you're wanting to run marathons before learning to crawl. The ambition is not necessarily a bad thing, however, it can definitely hinder you. Aside from some half-finished hacks around '99/00, I'm only a few months back into the hobby myself.

My advice is: grab a very simple NES rom, one with a single bank (if I'm using that term correctly) of graphics (one BG table and one sprite table), less than a paragraph or two of text, and some standard behavior palettes, and do a full graphics, text, and palette hack of that to learn the basics prior to jumping into complex games like Castlevania. You're a Castlevania fan and that fuels your motivation, so try taking a simpler non-Castlevania game and give it a Castlevania theme, like Loderunner or something. If you can do a decent Belmont at 16px square, you're pretty set.

To find these easy~to~hack games, check the wikipedia entry for "list of family computer games," sort by date and go as early as possible.

I'd link, but I'm on my phone and it's slightly inconvenient.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 03:14:36 am »
I...have no idea on how to edit the graphics located on SCIV as from what I've learned that they are 'compressed' and difficult to do.
As far as I know EVERYTHING in SCVIV is havily compressed, which is probably why there is a total absence of hacks for this particular game.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 08:00:37 am »
Homebrew on the NES is a hard gig compared to later consoles as you are kind of forced to understand everything from the ground up but if you are set on it then fair enough.

IPS is an old patching method with a lot of shortcomings but a popular one. An IPS patcher is a program that can apply IPS files- even edited ROM images are still protected by copyright and will be for several more decades but it is hoped that by making just a list of changes the hack maker can dodge having to distribute large ROM files and dodge copyright issues. Some games on later consoles might need an initial patch if they are protected but NES wise I think you should be good.

Mapper for the music.
Ignoring the bank switching command issues and the issues with windows/space if you could just magically change bank it would probably run as follows.
Emulators do not magically know what mapper is used but ROM files tend to contain info on what is used. There might be other methods various emulators attempt but that is the main one.
Part of the mapper info you read up on will contain how to talk to the sound chips for the mapper in question (assuming there are extra sound chips of course) and what needs to be sent and where. You will also need to hook the regular music so your enhanced stuff plays and stops at the right time (this should not be so bad). Finally you will also need to tell the famicom (NA and PAL NES seem to be less happy with extra sound chips hence you will be working to the famicom specs) to accept music from the cart though this is fairly trivial with the harder part being making sure you stop the audio as and when; not a hard thing but you will have to think about it as you can not be certain a song will finish as the player might change room so you can not just stick a "disable on cart audio" command at the end of the track but in whatever things will interrupt the song.

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 09:29:52 am »
@M_Lee

Sadly yes as I'm stubborn lol!  For the simple NES ROM editing, I actually thought about Arkanoid or Super Mario Bros 1, 2 or 3 but never made that full leap.  For Castlevania III and II, I was figuring out quite a bit on editing those sprites with tons of trial and error by finding how wide of a space was used for each of those characters.  One thing that I was happy about is editing the Castlevania III's title as it was hard to figure out which spot went to where but was successful.  The only things I wasn't successful on is trying to find the proper spaces for editing the palettes for the lightning effects along with the part where the game's logo would come into view by shading itself into view.  To this day I'm still tempted to return back to that project and figure out how and where those palette lines are since I could never locate them lol!

I never could express it enough at times as I'll probably repeat myself a lot but baby steps are key to all of this!  ;D

I will look at the earlier games indeed, thank you for the info there!

@Bregaland

I'm starting to wonder of how difficult it would be in the long run to 'un-decompress' the info in the game itself unless there's some type of emulator out there that can edit both the palettes and character sprites that we all don't know of yet.  I'm wanting to know how it's done and by word I'm gonna figure it out even if I hit 90 years old by then to finally figure it out!  :laugh:

Trust me, when I figure it out on my own I'll blow the whole thing wide open so others can do whatever to it!  So many things one can do to that gem!  Baby steps MUST be taken!

@FAST6191

Okay, that's interesting on IPS.  Still using the same kind of parameters on the game since one has to in order to do whatever necessary just as long as it's small and to the point.

Well, from what I've read last night on tutorials and what-not that I've ran into it says that doing stuff called MMC1 or MMC5(?) is difficult to implement to change something into VRC6.  Of what I need to do is sit down and read some tutorials from individuals known as BunnyBoy and MetalSlime of how this stuff works so that way I can get a good idea of what it all means.  It'll take time to understand this, that I'm aware of, and hope to actually gain the basic experience needed for all of the sound channels used.  I also need to find things of how FamiTracker can be helpful in making noises and the likes for video games as from what I've read that multiple game companies back in the day had their own types of sound 'boards' specific from each other which I now understand why things sound different like example the Mega Man/Rockman chyme and hit beats compared to say that of Metroid's chyme and hit beats.

I'm starting to look at all of this like how a baker does their cake or how a clocksmith makes and/or repairs clocks  :P