News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Wario Land 4 Level Importer/Exporter  (Read 4633 times)

adolif4

Wario Land 4 Level Importer/Exporter
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »
Hello, new to the forum. I don't know about you, but I grew up with Wario Land 4 and decided I wanted to make custom levels for it. You know, to re-live the experience. :)

Well, here is a tool that I have been working on.  It decompresses the levels from Wario Land 4, exports them, and re-imports them (in the compressed format).

It's a command line tool.

Syntax:

Let's say your rom file name is "WarioLand4.gba".

To export all (supported) levels:

Wario.exe WarioLand4.gba 0

To re-import all levels from the exported binary files:

Wario.exe WarioLand4.gba 1

To re-import all levels from the exported dds image files (look below for details):

Wario.exe WarioLand4.gba 2

At the moment, the tool uses an incomplete offset list. It only works with levels in emerald passage for now, but I'll have support for the full game in about a week. I'm also currently developing an editor for the level files.

In the meantime, it is possible to make custom levels visually. Not nearly as good as having an editor, but it's possible. I added a feature for exporting the levels as uncompressed, 32-bit dds image files (format A8R8G8B8). The tool can import the images back as levels, assuming the format is unchanged. So it's possible to edit the levels in tools like Gimp, Photoshop, and Paint.net. As for how to know what pixel does what, just pay attention to the color. The red values are what matter, unless the alpha is zero. If the alpha is zero, the pixel imports as a byte of zero.

Screenshots and download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/240qu7tpllgneue/ADOWARIOEDIT_V3BETA.zip

RetroHelix

• View Profile
Re: Wario Land 4 Level Importer/Exporter
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »
Wow, this somehow sounds like magic for me^^
Welcome at RHDN and keep it up.

SteveMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:53:54 pm »
Any chances of being able to insert custom graphics? Besides the Sonic series and I guess Super Mario World, not enough editors out there for many games do this.
Currently working on Moon: Remix RPG Adventure translation

Singing Soul

• rees n soe ur my dinokwinz i bow b4 u n lic ur fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:19:00 pm »
woh another warrio lamb levell editer!!! i never play this but i admire u and the warrio lamb 3 guy

props to u man long live warrio lamb
DINOSUAR KING RULS
-Best gaims evr: ZERUDA: Skyguard Swore, Wario Lamb 3, Castelvenia 64
-my waifs: zoe drake, reese drake, carry fernando, fay, humid, metroid, helios tda primodial sung, lyn lyndys, the hot mexican chic fron the DnD game, c. syrup
-Curently working in: umhara cubase levell editer

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:20:12 pm »
Some folks have been working on this in the past.  Have you seen http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,12681.msg184690.html ?

As discussed therein, it would be all the more handy if this also happened to work with Metroid Fusion.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!