News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: BrainFuck RPG(excuse my language, its the names fault)  (Read 10665 times)

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
BrainFuck RPG(excuse my language, its the names fault)
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:17:41 pm »
Yes, believe it or not, some guy made an RPG in BF.

http://jonripley.com/i-fiction/games/LostKingdomBF.html

I found that some time ago just never came to my mind until now.

That RPG is big. I'm curios to know how many bytes it is.

Malias

• View Profile
Re: BrainFuck RPG(excuse my language, its the names fault)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:52:39 am »
You know there's a download link to the game at the top of the page you posted right?  The source code is the file ending in ".b"  If you want the size of it compiled, it's interpreted so there's no direct way to tell.

I hope this guy used some kind of code generator because otherwise I'd say he had WAY too much time on his hands.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:58:45 pm by Malias »
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:02:36 am »
You know there's a download link to the game at the top of the page you posted right?

Yeah, I know, it was just late at night when I posted this.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:10:29 pm »
You know there's a download link to the game at the top of the page you posted right?  The source code is the file ending in ".b"  If you want the size of the compiler, it's interpreted so there's no direct way to tell.

I hope this guy used some kind of code generator because otherwise I'd say he had WAY too much time on his hands.

If he did code this all by hand... He's a god. Brainfuck is just... goodness.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:50:31 am »
No it is not. Anyone who uses it and takes it seriously is stupid (and missed completely the motives behind computer science).

If you want to torure yourself using a counter intuitive programming language, at least use assembly. It is counter intuitive for humans, but the most efficient for the CPU. BF is terribly counter intuitive for humans AND inneficient for the CPU.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:22:16 pm »
@Bregalad BF is not a programming language. Its a markup language.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 01:45:02 pm »
BF is a programming language (albeit not one to be taken seriously).

Wikipedia article.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 05:17:12 pm »
BF is a programming language (albeit not one to be taken seriously).

Wikipedia article.
You can't always believe what wiki says. That's a user-database. Anyone can write what they want on it. However, it did say it some type of programming language.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 05:48:19 pm »
Not sure if I should laugh or cry at this point.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 06:43:49 pm »
Of course it's a markup language. Look at all those angle brackets!

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 07:06:36 pm »
Not sure if I should laugh or cry at this point.

Laugh! Laugh loudly !!!
You'll die anyway...   :beer:

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:56:32 pm »
You can't always believe what wiki says. That's a user-database. Anyone can write what they want on it.
As a hardcore Wikipedian, I feel pretty insulted by this. That article has been around since 2001. It would have been deleted if it were fake. Also, it provides plenty of links that discuss the language and related projects.

By the way, I've written my own Brainfuck interpreter on a lark a couple years ago or so. It's pretty easy to do, about 100 lines of Python if I recall correctly.

Actually, InfamousKnight, perhaps you should try writing one too. You might learn something.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 01:03:19 am »
Exotic programing languages are boring. There is never any arrays, pointers, classes, structs or even functions. It's like they are designed by people who has never attempted to do something in reality.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 03:03:07 am »
As a hardcore Wikipedian, I feel pretty insulted by this.
Oh really ?
When you'll see wrong info on WP several times you'll figure out someday that anyone can vector any lies thanks to WP.

Personally I lost all faith in WP when they started to call kilobytes "kibibytes". This is the f*** worst idea ever, and it comes from WP. OK technically it comes from the IEEEEE or something like this, but nobody was using that until some WP administrators decided to enforce this in all their WP articles and to prevent anyone from reverting this. Other people started to say "heh it should be called kibibytes because WP does that..." and so on.
However, I still use WP, but I lost all faith from it.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 03:16:08 am »
You know what they say... Use it at your risk. This is why colleges don't accept wikipedia as a source for a bibliography.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 04:25:09 am »
Oh really ?
When you'll see wrong info on WP several times you'll figure out someday that anyone can vector any lies thanks to WP.

Personally I lost all faith in WP when they started to call kilobytes "kibibytes". This is the f*** worst idea ever, and it comes from WP. OK technically it comes from the IEEEEE or something like this, but nobody was using that until some WP administrators decided to enforce this in all their WP articles and to prevent anyone from reverting this. Other people started to say "heh it should be called kibibytes because WP does that..." and so on.
However, I still use WP, but I lost all faith from it.

Says the guy whose language calls it "octets"? Or is that only French French (if that makes any sense)? I have to admit though, "kibibytes" and so on really does sound stupid.

To get back on topic, Brainfuck is very similar to a Turing machine, so it's actually very computer-sciency. Nobody is saying (even the creator I'd daresay) to use it as a general-purpose programming language. But many could learn a thing or two from writing a BF interpreter or compiler.

Last but not least, even without Wikipedia any serious programmer should be able to tell a mark-up language apart from programming languages. Please don't neglect the basics.

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 07:57:16 am »
Exotic programing languages are boring. There is never any arrays, pointers, classes, structs or even functions. It's like they are designed by people who has never attempted to do something in reality.
Because doing things in reality isn't the point of these programming languages.

I have 28,926 edits on Wikipedia, so it's not like I've never come across misinformation. Hell, basic grammar and punctuation seem to be beyond many Wikipedians.

When you want to know the accuracy of a statement in Wikipedia, this is when you check the sources. I usually haven't found this necessary, though. I wouldn't cite Wikipedia in a paper (even if it were allowed), but it may still be a fine starting point.

But yeah, there are occasionally subtle inaccuracies you have to watch out for. My most frustrating moments on Wikipedia were probably when I was contending the use of w3schools statistics on the page for Windows XP. w3schools is a website that people use to look up information on web programming. (This site is on my shit list because its name makes people think they're related in some way to the W3C, which they are not.) The statistics they have for things such as how many people are using Windows XP are taken from their own server logs. In other words, it is a far from representative sample of the internet, since the site has a target audience towards which the statistics would be skewed. And they were quoting these numbers as if they were gospel! I got into a big edit war over it and eventually we apparently hit a compromise that was found acceptable, but I nevertheless found unsatisfying. Thankfully, by now somebody has replaced the statistics with a much more sensible source, but the w3schools crap was there for a very long time.

Personally I lost all faith in WP when they started to call kilobytes "kibibytes".
I can think of legitimate reasons to lose faith in Wikipedia, but that's the one you've come up with??
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:04:38 am by furrykef »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 11:35:55 am »
Says the guy whose language calls it "octets"? Or is that only French French (if that makes any sense)?

If it has a sense, I don't get it :)

You can blame French for a lot of things, but actually the word 'octet' has a lot for it :
- it comes from Greek (yes, it's a pro)
- it comes from 'eight' ('octo-' root) and reminds that a byte is 8 bits. If only there was a such a word for longer binary numbers. 16b is sometimes a word, sometimes an half-word...
- it prevents confusion between bit and byte

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 04:31:04 pm »
If it has a sense, I don't get it :)

You can blame French for a lot of things, but actually the word 'octet' has a lot for it :
- it comes from Greek (yes, it's a pro)
- it comes from 'eight' ('octo-' root) and reminds that a byte is 8 bits. If only there was a such a word for longer binary numbers. 16b is sometimes a word, sometimes an half-word...
- it prevents confusion between bit and byte

I meant French as spoken in France, as opposed to French spoken in Switzerland (where I think Bregalad's from). Also, I never said it wouldn't make sense calling it octets, it's just so typically French to "invent" their own word ;)

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 12:48:07 am »
The term "octet" is also useful in situations where "byte" is ambiguous. They're exceedingly rare today, but systems with a byte size other than 8 bits were once common. The PDP-10 was one such example; it had 36-bit words that were often divided into 9-bit bytes (this was artificial; the hardware had no notion of numbers that weren't 36-bit), since 36 divides evenly into 9 but not into 8. "Octet" makes it clear you're discussing an 8-bit byte, not any other size.

April 19, 2013, 11:56:16 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
@Bregalad BF is not a programming language. Its a markup language.
Oh my God, I'd missed this part. What on earth makes you think it's a markup language?? It doesn't mark up ANYTHING!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:56:16 am by furrykef »