News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Can the Wii U Become a full 3-hour portable device  (Read 3542 times)

StranglingManiac

• View Profile
Can the Wii U Become a full 3-hour portable device
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:13:39 am »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-wii-u-goes-mobile

Whats the point of owning a 3DS if this is true? I mean sure there are a few more restrictions like you need a power source, but so does any mobile gamer really that games more than a few hours at a time anyway. And coffee shops, cars, etc. all have power sources now anyway. I guess you cant use it in an amusement park unlike a 3ds or in line or something at the store. But seriously, compare the experience of new mario bros wii u vs the 3ds new mario bros 2 for instance.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Can the Wii U Become a full 3-hour portable device
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:29:45 am »
You still need to carry around the whole Wii U console, right?  You can't just load up a game on the pad and then wander away.  It's not really any more mobile than the old PSOne or Gamecube portable-screen solutions.  Heck, I remember I saw someone bring a PS2 on a train once and play it via the screen on a camcorder.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:40:24 pm »
I've been saying for some time that the Wii U -could- have just become the next portable for Nintendo, but that the whole "tethering" thing was just dumb and limiting. Slap a little hard drive in there and let you download games to it, take the Gamepad with you and play on the go.... would've been great. But packing along the whole console and plugging it into a cigarette lighter jack in the van or whatever, it's just too much. For cartridge based stuff like the NES and SNES, that would've been fine, and I did indeed drag my SNES with me on a few camping trips with my parents and it was nice. But discs can get scratched from the constant gyration of the vehicle. Really I would like to see Nintendo at some point just move past the home console market and go straight to portable, internet capable gaming tablets. But they won't do that, I don't see anybody doing that for a long time until tablets really start taking off and showing the big 3 that they're viable as gaming systems.

StranglingManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:22:20 pm »
The iPad already did that and is definitely viable as a gaming aystem. I mean uts freaking getting scom net month. Apple just doesnt care enough about gaming that is its only problem and it cares too much about hardwre revisions and keeping app prices low.

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:14:21 pm »
The iPad doesn't have a physical Dpad, analog sticks, buttons.... etc. Imagine trying to play Mega Man X on an iPad and you have your Shoot button as Y and your Jump as B and your Dash as R (my preferred setting over the "double tap to dash" arrangement). You would have a tought time hitting the "virtual" L and R. Even on a PSP you'd still be more comfortable hitting those...