News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: FF1 palette changing  (Read 3241 times)

Jeville

• View Profile
FF1 palette changing
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:12:51 pm »
Hello, I've been trying to change the palette for the unlit orb ($037770 in ROM). I want to change it to have the same palette as the lit orbs. I cannot locate it in the RAM hex editor to help me find the attribute, all I could find for the menu are repeated locations for the characters and hand cursor.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:50:35 pm by Jeville »

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: FF1 palette changing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:11:18 am »
Can't you replace the unlit graphic with the lit graphic in the hex editor?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:14:26 am »
This is really old but some dozen of years ago I used to disassemble parts of FF1's menu routine. If I remember well, all 4 orbs are made of 2x2 tiles and fit in a 4x4 attribute square. There was a routine that calculated which orbs were lit and which werent, and calculated the attribute byte. This was hardcoded. By scrapping the routine entierely and forcing a constant value, you should be able to do what you wanted to do.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:59:58 pm »
Can't you replace the unlit graphic with the lit graphic in the hex editor?
Does not change the palette. :(

This was hardcoded. By scrapping the routine entierely and forcing a constant value, you should be able to do what you wanted to do.
That's out of my league to do. What about other sprites that aren't hardcoded that uses the same or similar palette as the lit orbs (i.e. shop signs), and insert the attribute data of it for the unlit orb? But then again I couldn't find any orb in RAM.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:15:06 pm by Jeville »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:36:28 pm »
No, no, no.
You should learn about the NES hardware.

There is 4 BG palettes loaded at the same time, and those aren't the same inside the menu and in a town (where the shop signs shows).