News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy III PC - Menu Replacement + EXP Mod + FF7 Battle Music!  (Read 16565 times)

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Hello everyone, I created a new mod for Final Fantasy III for PC.  If you don't know already, this version of the game use the terrible menus from the Android/iOS releases of the game.  Since they were touchscreen menus, they looked awkward and too big for big-screen playing.

Almost all menus have been changed to look nicer and more clean.  It looks like a traditional Final Fantasy menu now.  There is also a new font!  The default font looked a bit too modern and unfitting, and the new font "feels" more FF to me.

Also included is an optional EXP mod that increases or decreases the amount of exp needed to level up your character.  Again, this is optional.

Please read the read-me included.

Version 2.0 -- 3/14/15
Download: Version 2.0  (nexusmods)

I made a separate mod that replaces the battle theme with FF7's battle theme.  Here is a preview if you want to listen to it:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsh-ikCyQW8

New menu:

Old menu:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:42:50 pm by the_icepenguin »

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
Re: FFIII PC - Menu Replacement + EXP Mod
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:57:24 pm »
Pretty cool mod I like it.  Nice work!   :beer:

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:38:59 pm »
Has quicksave been removed, or am I just missing it somewhere in the new screenshot?

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:49:47 pm »
Yeah, it's been removed.  That's how I got the new play time counter in the menu.  Fortunately, the PC version has an auto-save feature which acts just like a Quicksave, except the auto-save lasts forever.   :P

Special T

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III PC - Menu Replacement + EXP Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 10:14:32 pm »
For some reason the old menu image isn't showing up. You should also submit this to the PC hack's section, it's pretty neat.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 03:41:12 am »
Thanks!  I uploaded different images.  Those had trouble loading for some reason.  Also, I tried submitting this mod here, but I'm not sure if it will be accepted or not.  It's been in the queue for a while, haha.

Is there some sort of rule about uploading PC mods here?  I checked all over, even in the guidelines for submitting files, but nothing.   :-[  Anyway, if someone knows anything, please let me know!  I'd really like to upload it here if possible.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:13:04 pm »
I'm honestly not sure but you can click on the contact staff link on the navigation menu on the left. They should be able to answer your question for you.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 02:40:06 pm »
Made an update to the mod!  The first post has an updated link for version 1.2!

It basically fixes a small typo I made in some text, and it cleans up the magic menu.  For the next update, the battle menus will be completely changed, as I've found where the data is located.  Right now, the battle magic menu is finished!  It doesn't take up the entire screen anymore.  :P

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 04:55:14 pm »
How hard is it to change the text in FFIII PC, anyway? I'm not too familiar with PC modding; I made a text cleanup mod for Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness once, but I had a utility for that.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 09:58:03 pm »
Is there some sort of rule about uploading PC mods here?  I checked all over, even in the guidelines for submitting files, but nothing.   :-[  Anyway, if someone knows anything, please let me know!  I'd really like to upload it here if possible.

From the Queue Status it looks like it should be next in line.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 10:39:51 pm »
How hard is it to change the text in FFIII PC, anyway?
I find PC modding to be generally easier than ROMhacking.  Mostly because game data is usually all organized in various folders.  :P  (but it can still be a pain with 100's of files with ambiguous names)  Luckily, editing the text in FF3 is super easy.  There is no need for all that table file stuff, since the game seems to use the standard alphabet, unlike FF4 for PC, and you can use any hex editor.

@SunGodPortal; I'm still hopeful that it gets accepted, but it's been in the queue for long while.  Maybe it was rejected.   :huh:

For an update, I made another small mod that replaces the battle theme with that of FF7's battle theme.  I cut and looped it so it fits perfectly in the game.  Here is a video for those interested to listen:

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III PC - Menu Replacement + EXP Mod + FF7 Battle Music!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 11:12:13 pm »
@SunGodPortal; I'm still hopeful that it gets accepted, but it's been in the queue for long while.  Maybe it was rejected.

No. Sometimes it just takes a while because as far as I can tell they approve/reject a few things in queue every few days rather than running through and clearing it all out at once. I'm pretty sure that if it gets rejected they will notify you too. Just gotta be patient. :)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 12:50:03 pm »
Just noticed the status got updated to "pending"!  Though I have no idea what that means in this case.  Anyone know?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 08:49:50 pm »
I find PC modding to be generally easier than ROMhacking.  Mostly because game data is usually all organized in various folders.  :P  (but it can still be a pain with 100's of files with ambiguous names)  Luckily, editing the text in FF3 is super easy.  There is no need for all that table file stuff, since the game seems to use the standard alphabet, unlike FF4 for PC, and you can use any hex editor.

@SunGodPortal; I'm still hopeful that it gets accepted, but it's been in the queue for long while.  Maybe it was rejected.   :huh:

For an update, I made another small mod that replaces the battle theme with that of FF7's battle theme.  I cut and looped it so it fits perfectly in the game.  Here is a video for those interested to listen:

Does FFIII for PC have the Tons and Tons of removed text that the original DS version had? It honestly seemed like they had at lest 75% more story to tell that they decided not to use for whatever reason.

https://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy_III_(Nintendo_DS)/Unused_Text

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 12:37:13 pm »
Does FFIII for PC have the Tons and Tons of removed text that the original DS version had? It honestly seemed like they had at lest 75% more story to tell that they decided not to use for whatever reason.

https://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy_III_(Nintendo_DS)/Unused_Text

Whoa!  I never knew about that.  I am blown away, haha.  When I get some time, I will check to see if that text is still in the PC version.  Thanks for sharing that!  Really cool!   :)

March 14, 2015, 01:46:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
UPDATE!

Hi everyone, I made an update that changes all the battle menus!  Check it out.  :)  I updated the original post with the new download link.  There were some more changes made, check the read me for more info!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:46:50 pm by the_icepenguin »

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 09:06:00 pm »
Very nice work friend!! I liked FF3 updated (I played the Android version on my phone) but I didn't like the menus. Your version looks much more like the FF that I know and love. Keep up the great work!!
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevilHunterMiyumi/

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 10:48:40 pm »
This seems great! Is ff iv formatted the same so we can do it there too? Also would it be easy enough to make edits to things like framerate caps? FFiv pc has a terrible 15fps cap for combat.