News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI - Slattery Translation for SNES  (Read 5884 times)

admiralackbar

• View Profile
Final Fantasy VI - Slattery Translation for SNES
« on: March 29, 2013, 12:09:53 am »
Is anyone interested in helping out in a relatively straight-forward project: putting in the Slattery translation of FFVI (for GBA) into the SNES version of FFVI? The GBA version is arguably considered by many to be the best translation (I said arguably). The SNES version is still the best presentation of the game, visually and musically. Why not have these put together?

FF3usME would be used to do the fixing, using the script of the GBA translation available here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/930370-final-fantasy-vi-advance/faqs/47016

I haven't played through the entire GBA version yet, but can anyone think of any immediate problems for this kind of undertaking? Obviously, the new espers and dungeons in the GBA version won't be translated...but I'm not familiar enough with this kind of thing to know what kinds of problems could crop up.

Anyway, if you're interested in joining the project, send me a reply. Thanks!

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI - Slattery Translation for SNES
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:30:42 am »
You could also use Novalia Spirit's dialogue dump found here. The dialogue are categorized by blocks, putting all the battle line together and all the map dialogues together, in the way they appear in the ROM. I think you will save time by following this order and the order in FF3usME because I believe they are similar, except the GBA version has more dialogue entries toward the end.

One problem you will run into is the monster quotes or battle dialogue I don't remember which of the two. Since the said data cannot be relocated and expanded with a single click (like with the map dialogues) you will need to do that manually because you will run out of space. There is some unused monster quote or battle dialogues that can be overwritten but even then it's not enough.

Edit: Also, I don't know if it's in your scope or not, but if you want to have the GBA items and espers names you will need to expand the maximum number of letter because the snes version has smaller maximums.

admiralackbar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:31:40 pm »
Thanks so much, Madsiur, for pointing me to the dialogue dump. That'll save a lot of time. Also, thanks for pointing out some possible technical issues, such as the maximum number of letters and the battle/monster dialogue. If anyone has ideas on how to bypass them, I'd love to hear it.

For now, I'm content to just switch the map dialogues. I have a couple volunteers, but if anyone else wants to help out in this project, that would be great.  The script in the GameFAQ doc divides up the game dialogue into 45 chapters -- if I get some volunteers, we can divvy it up and get this done in no time.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:54:49 pm »
I actually had most of the game up to the end of Kefka's visit to Figaro Castle, barring some NPC dialogues, and a single line of Locke's from his mission in South Figaro (which wasn't that different from the SNES version's line anyway), in case you're interested.

dn

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:29:08 am »
I have the entire script inserted presently, but it's unfortunately tied into the hack I'm working on, to the point I can't just strip it out. It'd take months just to re-reverse engineer all the menu work I did, and I have a full time job now on top of that.

admiralackbar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:31:37 pm »
Midna -- Absolutely! Please feel free to PM me and send along what you have; maybe we can use that as a baseline.

dn -- Damn, so close. What sort of hack are you working on? And how did you insert in the GBA script -- Line by line? How long did that take you? Since you've done it before, any advice you can give us would be appreciated. Any weird hiccups that happened along the way?

Thanks again, everyone.

dn

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:34:33 pm »
I'm working on a battle mechanics overhaul hack. I'll probably reveal more information once I'm up to about the Narshe split party scenario.

I dumped both scripts -- the Woolsey script via FF3usME, and the Slattery script via some other software, which I forget offhand (I've dabbled with a few.) I then copied and pasted over, line by line, formatting as necessary as I went. I actually had to go back again after that, a third time, when I chose to change my formatting. I'm still working through typos and other minor issues, and I think I have a formatting bug in the opera I haven't resolved.

I also have to use the old script for battle dialogue when testing, due to the new script using more space and thus needing to be moved. FF3usME doesn't like moved battle text.

Most of the menu work I pulled from existing documents, but refinding all of that would be a nightmare, and there are a few changes I had to RE myself.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 01:43:02 am »
Are there any hacks we can look at where they mess with the battle menu?0

admiralackbar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:06:08 am »
Hey DN -- (Not sure if you got my PM -- I'm not seeing it in my Sent box, so you might not have gotten it yet) Out of curiosity, is your hacked version FFIII loadable into FF3usME? If so, is it possible to export the script? I believe then we can then just import it directly into a vanilla version of FFIII. Not sure if that would work -- I'm new at this sort of thing so apologies if that sounds stupid. Basically, it sounds like you already did a lot of the hard work for what we're looking for and it'd be great to have it out there.

As you might've guessed, I love this game and my goal is to do what the Criterion Collection does for great foreign movies: create a definitive version with the best available translation.

dn

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 11:34:45 am »
Working on converting as much as I can to a vanilla rom, since it takes a bit of work, and I have a full time job.

I have to edit the font, because otherwise it'll overflow and require new dialogue windows and screw with some automated events, and even then some still need to be edited, likely the ending.
I have to re-implement battle dialogue hacking.
I'll look into re-implementing the menu hacks, but I make no guarantees. Some I have assembly files for since I did them more recently, but most I did in straight hex, so I have to dig for the information.
I'm using 1.0 because it's the most documented and widely used version. I also do not work with headers.