News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hacking Pac-Man and Ms. Pac.  (Read 4731 times)

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • Super Justin: the Blog
Hacking Pac-Man and Ms. Pac.
« on: March 23, 2013, 12:43:15 pm »
It is quite surprising to me that there hasn't really been any utilities for editing the original arcade versions of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man that are readily available and easy to use. I know they exist, but they usually require DOS, which is much more difficult to use than with standard Windows, and some of these don't work in computers running 64bit Windows.

I was hoping someone would be able to create an easy to boot and use editor in the same style as the editor featured in Champ Ms. Pac-Em, an obscure recreation of Ms. Pac-Man, that allows one to open the level files in a Pac-Man/Ms. Pac/Pac Plus rom and edit them by drawing the maze walls and pellets (either by the easier "add walls" feature from Champ Ms. Pac-Em or via the advanced tile placer), defining the maze(s)' main color scheme from the available palettes (allowing results similar to these: http://www.donhodges.com/images/mspac/ms_pacman_wierd_colors.gif.), edit the color palettes from the selection of thirteen colors (an additional four if editing Pac-Man Plus), and a "mirror" function. It should also allow one to edit the graphics by opening it's respective file.

EDIT: It may be worth mentioning that with Ms. Pac-Man, the fruit paths could be drawn automatically based on how the walls are laid out, but can be defined by the user. Also modifying the number of pellets required to finish a board.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:45:55 pm by Superjustinbros »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Hacking Pac-Man and Ms. Pac.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:01:27 pm »
I know they exist, but they usually require DOS, which is much more difficult to use than with standard Windows, and some of these don't work in computers running 64bit Windows.
DOSBox.  'Nuff said.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:20:02 pm »
I can startup AGE in DosBox, but I cannot figure out how I get it to read roms. I tried putting the roms I was looking to edit into my AGE folder, I edited the AGE.INI file to reflect these changes, and all I keep getting are error messages saying it can't find the roms even if they're in the same exact location the INI shows.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 11:30:34 pm »
The details can change things, but a program running from a mounted folder in DOSBox will not be able to access the typical Windows paths.

If AGE is in C:\BLAH\AGE , and you run AGE after mounting C:\BLAH, then you should not have C:\BLAH\AGE in your AGE.INI, but C:\AGE.

Or, if you run AGE by mounting C:\BLAH\AGE, you should have C:\ in your AGE.INI.

Get it?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:43:42 pm »
Get it?
No I don't. I never figured out mounting my folders before running Dosbox. All I do is just drag the necessary .exe onto the DosBox window to run DOS-only applications. It's all I've ever had to do with DOS programs.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:37:27 am »
If you are dragging-and-dropping, DOSBox will by default mount the program's directory as drive C, so if you put your ROMs in the same folder as AGE.EXE and specify C:\ in your AGE.INI, that should do the trick.

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 01:38:10 pm »
Still no luck; I keep getting this message.