M-Tee's NES Graphics Projects

Started by M-Tee, March 23, 2013, 12:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M-Tee

Proveaux

Da_GPer

Quote from: M_tee on July 23, 2013, 10:36:36 PM

Figured I'd do these:

I also agree with Proveaux. They do look great, but will there be a version that doesnt look worn? Some people, like me, like to have there game cartridges looking as mint as possible.

M-Tee

These are all low-res for web presentation. I plan on putting together some boxes for the same purpose.

I think my approach is if anyone wants to print a box, manual, and cart label for their personal library, I'd give clean, hi-res files in exchange for a cart and all for myself.

If they were planning on selling, I'd do it for a few copies. I figure that's reasonable.

CyberFox

How about doing the Mega Man ones based on the Bad Box Art Mega Man Models on Mega Mans 1 & 2 instead of that of the Captain N model?

Plus are you cool with people using your hacks and translations for repro carts?

M-Tee

My policy involving repro carts was clearly explained in the post immediately prior to your own. For personal use, I permit one copy to be printed made in exchange for one to be printed, made and shipped to me.

For the purpose of sales, I would request a number of carts upfront, printed and made and shipped to me.

CyberFox

as for doing Mega Man 1 & 2 with Mega Man as the respectable Bad Box Art models for both US Box Arts of the respected games?

M-Tee

CyberFox

How about a Castlevania hack with the Jay Leno-chinned Simon Belmont?

M-Tee

Quote from: CyberFox on September 01, 2013, 12:57:24 PM
How about a Castlevania hack with the Jay Leno-chinned Simon Belmont?

Would love to, just don't see the time to do it anytime in the foreseeable future.

gadesx

glown

Love your work here.  Those ghosts are especially great. 

M-Tee

Unfortunately, I apparently insist upon having a dozen projects in-progress at once, slowing them all down. Here's some shots of work from the assortment of projects I've got open:

Pyron:
I'm slowly putting together the graphics for Optomon's Pyron hack. Here's some recent previews:

Need to clean up that centipede body and animate some wrigglin and arm movement.

Warpman:
As mentioned in the title screen thread, I'm working on a hack of Warpman called Warp Defense Force. Just a graphics overhaul.

Most of these aren't making the final cut, but shows some insight into how I work. I generally keep one PSD file open for each project. I work in the blank space in the middle and then just load stuff out to the edges as I finish it, even if I know I won't use it.

Battle City:
Inspired by the tank sprites in the Konami Rampart (an amazing game that I'm surprised I hadn't known about previously as Rampart is one of my favorites), I designed the following tank sprite with a loose plan to do an assortment of vehicles for Battle City. Ultimately unsatisfied, but may come back to Battle City for a different hack in the future.

The Tower of Druaga:
Recently discovered that The Tower of Druaga series supposedly stars Gilgamesh and is based on Babylonian culture, despite the fact that all of the art in the game is generic medieval Euro-fantasy themed. I'm contemplating a hack of the game that both introduces a new art style and is more accurate to Sumerian mythology. Will need to come up with a new name because as far as I can tell, "Druaga" as a Babylonian god originated from a D&D manual.

Gilgamesh across the top. Limited in animation possibilities because additional sprites are overlain later in gameplay for armor upgrades. Followed by alternate palette ideas (considering the main player's sprite is also used for that of enemies). Then, a Sumerian priest to replace the Mage. Finally, a couple of palette ideas for a slime, the first is translucent,  the second bioluminescent. I wasn't eager to draw it considering how stereotypical of a video game enemy it is, but considering that it uses the same animation for all 8-directions of movement, the options are limited. Quite fond of the result though.

Vanya

I fully support a graphics overhaul of Tower of Druaga.

Drakon

Whoa I completely missed this.  What a brilliant idea there's so many great nes games with pretty bad graphics.

M-Tee

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily call them bad, as they're definitely a product of their time. I'd say my preference in aesthetic is generally more along the lines of GBC and NGPC games when it comes to working with low-res sprites on a 3-color palette..

Anyways, decided to keep Druaga, if almost solely for the purpose of wanting to make a sprite for him.

Also, edited the Gilgamesh sprite, putting him a pixel taller, and am quite satisfied with the door and stairs.

(Original sprite for Druaga.)

Celice

Man, I love your work. Looking forward to more stuff from ya  :beer:

Zynk

Quote from: M-Tee on January 12, 2014, 10:24:52 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily call them bad, as they're definitely a product of their time. I'd say my preference in aesthetic is generally more along the lines of GBC and NGPC games when it comes to working with low-res sprites on a 3-color palette..

Anyways, decided to keep Druaga, if almost solely for the purpose of wanting to make a sprite for him.

Also, edited the Gilgamesh sprite, putting him a pixel taller, and am quite satisfied with the door and stairs.

Is Gilgamesh ^there the bearded man in yellow? Is he based on a US boxart?

Gil is almost depicted as a youth in gold armor

M-Tee

Quote from: Zynk Oxhyde on January 12, 2014, 08:05:58 PM
Is Gilgamesh ^there the bearded man in yellow? Is he based on a US boxart?

Gil is almost depicted as a youth in gold armor

Quote from: M-Tee on January 11, 2014, 06:11:51 AM
I'm contemplating a hack of the game that both introduces a new art style and is more accurate to Sumerian mythology.

Gilgamesh is a Sumerian legend, the main character of the first known piece of major Western literature, and a legendary king of the ancient city of Uruk. The only connection the game has to its Sumerian roots is the name of the characters, and Druaga is a questionable choice as it seems (from my Google-fu) that he is a fictional Babylonian entity created for Dungeons & Dragons.

I was unaware of the connection previously and had blown off the title as another generic euro-fantasy hack n slash full of knights, dragons, and wizardry. I did not discover otherwise until searching through the list of mapperless titles I put together for my Workshop thread. Being very interested in the Epic of Gilgamesh and the representation of unused themes in games, the purpose of my hack is to use the historical and legendary Gilgamesh in a Sumerian setting and not the doe-eyed medieval namesake that's in the game.

Granted, I am taking some liberties. Sumer definitely had beer, but not glass mugs, and they did not have swords, but did have daggers and spears.

To put simply, I'm not interested at all in the remainder of the Druaga series, its anime, or anything along those lines. Druaga himself is an exception because the challenge of interpreting such a complex design within the limitations appealed to me.

Oh, and it never received a US release, I suspect due to its frustratingly unconventional combat method and item acquisition system.

KingMike

Somehow the game became hugely popular in Japan but elsewhere (if it was even released) unpopular for being too cryptic (as I recall, the PS Namco Museum volume with the game had to just spoil how to find all the secret items).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018